Buyers

I am kind of worried. I have some listings but no views. I even put one up (low starting price with reserve in place, which usually gets some kind of action) and still nothing. I am waiting until June 1st to list the rest of my stuff but I am worried because of the security problem with eBay that buyers are not comfortable bidding or logging in to their accounts. What is eBay prepared to do with this? I feel as though I should start looking at other sites to sell on. I found a few, but none with appeal of eBay. I might not have a choice though.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Buyers

lady.stark posted this earlier today.

Got this message today in "My Messages". Anyone got it too?

----------------------------------------------------

Additional protections for sellers with auction-style listings

We recognize that the password reset may temporarily interrupt the normal bidding process for buyers. We’re taking additional steps to ensure successful transactions for sellers:

• All listing and final value fees will be refunded automatically for auction-style listings that ended between 6:00 AM PDT on Wednesday, May 21, 2014, and 11:59 PM PDT on Wednesday, May 21, 2014. Sellers will see these credits on their June invoice.

• Sellers can end any auction-style listings without penalty between 6:00 AM PDT on Wednesday, May 21, 2014, and 11:59 PM PDT on Saturday, May 31, 2014 and will receive a credit for all selling fees related to these listings on their June invoice.

• Sellers can also cancel any auction-style listings that ended in a sale between 6:00 AM PDT on Wednesday, May 21, 2014, and 11:59 PM PDT on Saturday, May 31, provided the buyer paid with PayPal and we can verify through PayPal that the buyer’s full payment has been refunded.
  • Final value and listing fees will be credited on sellers’ June invoice and any associated defects or negative buyer feedback removed. These protections will be applied automatically.

We will also be communicating with the winning bidder for any cancelled auction-style transaction during this time period to ensure they continue to have great buyer experiences on eBay.

We apologize for any inconvenience or concern this situation may cause. Nothing is more important to us than the security and trust of every customer in our global marketplace. We know you have high expectations of us, and we are committed to ensuring a safe and secure online experience for you on any connected device. More information and updates are available at info.ebayinc.com.

Thank you for selling on eBay.
Sincerely,
Michael Jones

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Buyers

In my opinion, the security kerfuffle will blow over in a week or so. Memories online are short.

Interested to hear you find using a reserve useful. Most sellers who have used auctions discourage using reserves because:

a) many customers just think the seller is playing games, even when the reserve is revealed in the description. They do not bid.

b) if the item does not sell, the seller is still charged the reserve fee.

In other words, more fees for fewer bids. The advice is usually to have an opening price which you would be willing to sell at. Anything higher then is gravy.

There are lots of other sites. None of them have the reach and buyer confidence of eBay. And offhand, I don't think any of them are auction sites.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply