Canada Post, August 25, 2016, Strike Potential

The Postal Union (CUPW), has been making regular reports with respect to the negotiations with Canada Post  (CPC).

The following information  is from CUPW’s report on its website as  of Friday, August 12

CUPW voted with the possibility of a strike at the end of June.  This option to strike lasts for 60 days.

The 60 day time period ends August 25….  Negotiations can continue if CPC agrees to do so by way of a written agreement.

If there is no agreement to continue negotiations  the union must declare a strike before the 60 days after the last strike vote ends.

The critical date is Thursday, August 25.  If there is going to be a legal strike…  the union must declare  so before August 25.

CUPW will give 72 hours notice of the beginning of a strike.

It is time to mark August 25 on our calendars….

Message 1 of 87
latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

Re: Canada Post, August 25, 2016, Strike Potential

"you do know to avoid glucosamine if you're diabetic, right?  "

My pharmacist says it's OK (I do not take anything without checking with the pharmacist first), so does the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/osteoarthritis/expert-answers/glucosamine/faq-20058151

"Some preliminary research had suggested that glucosamine might worsen insulin resistance, which can contribute to increases in blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes. But subsequent studies refuted these findings."

Message 61 of 87
latest reply

Sorry LizzieR - I had not read your post prior to my reply. Smiley Sad

Message 62 of 87
latest reply

Canada Post Corporation is unique in that its duties are defined in the Canada Post Corporation Act.

This Act  is available on the internet.....  Read this and find out that CPC works independent of any monetary input from the Federal Government....  and if there is any money borrowed it must be paid back.... something CPC chooses not to do

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The word on the internet is that defined benefit pension plans do not work today..Private companies are moving to defined contribution plans.

In order to get high rates of income for a pension plan one might have to invest in questionable stocks... 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It was back in the fall of 2008, with the mortgage mess in the US that Canada Post's pension plan almost hit rock bottom.....  It was close.  In 2008 the reduction in value of  an investment account was about 20 to 25 %, just about overnight

-------------------------------------------------------------------

With a defined contribution plan  the pension fund managers  look to do the best ....  and then another 2008 will not create a problem with the payment of pensions to retirees

-----------------------------------------------------------------

CUPW  was told the reality when they met with the head of CPC and Federal government Treasury and Labor people

CUPW is doing a lot of forceful thinking....We just may be surprised with what does happen

But then a Union is a Union

Message 63 of 87
latest reply

CPC is in control of the money... all of the money..

CPC is working to reduce the cost of mail delivery.

CPC is currently in control of the end result of negotiations.... In many ways the Canada Post Corporation Act defines what CPC can do in such a situation

The fact that CUPW does not want binding arbitration is an indication that CPC will get what it wants.... CUPW knows this

The union has a BIG decision to make.....  and August 25 will be here sooner than soon

Message 64 of 87
latest reply

Like I said from the onset, my thoughts have zero impact on the outcome so I'm not wasting any energy worrying about the possibilities. I'll get excited (maybe) if it comes to actual disruption, not merely the threat of it.
Message 65 of 87
latest reply

The word is... based on what CUPW says 

If CUPW does not issue a strike notice before August 26 .... CPC can do as it chooses.

There is no contract....   and there is no strike.... 

CUPW Is caught in ... limbo.... a most interesting situation should this occur

By the time CUPW get a new strike mandate.....  a new vote......  Things could be very different... CPC is in control

Message 66 of 87
latest reply

August 23, 2016.... Three more days.

And....It is so quiet

Message 67 of 87
latest reply

cumos55 wrote:

CPC works independent of any monetary input from the Federal Government....  and if there is any money borrowed it must be paid back.... something CPC chooses not to do

_____________________________________________________________________________________

That would be the case in the ordinary scheme of things.  But what I was pondering (given the strong present of Treasury Board officials at the meeting mentioned earlier) was whether the federal government might be thinking of a novel, perhaps interim plan to pass legislation to permit funds to be injected into CPC in order to meet enough of the union demands to avoid a strike or lockout.

With a majority government, it wouldn't take much for Trudeau to either pass an amendment to the CPC Act, or legislation equivalent to a bail-out to provide temporary "bridge money", with the understanding that more long-lasting and significant changes would be made to CPC once service is normalized.  This would make a lot of sense in my view, instead of letting things get to the point of strike or lockout.  

I can't believe Trudeau would want to go down the same path Harper did (i.e. back-to-work legislation), so preventing a work stoppage of whatever kind will be critical to this government to avoid ending up being backed into the same corner of having to play the heavy.  

Providing bridge money to resolve the CPC/CUPW dispute would not only buy the government thanks from the business sector, but time to make some well thought-out changes to CPC (in light of the government's recent invitation to the public for input).  

Clearly the current model isn't working -- it may be keeping CPC barely alive as a corporation, but we're only one lengthy strike or lockout away from disaster.  

It will indeed be very interesting to see what transpires over the next week or two.  

Message 68 of 87
latest reply

Check the other threads today. Andrea Stairs is reaching out to ebay sellers about the parliamentary committee and consultation.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Message-from-Andrea-Stairs-managing-director-of-eBay-Cana...

Message 69 of 87
latest reply

August 24, 2016

Two more days.

Message 70 of 87
latest reply

If one reads the Canada Post Incorporation Act.... This is a totally independent corporation, like any other corporation.

The union is looking for some government monetary input.  which cannot occur

Treasury and Labor people were there in support of Canada Post,  and there to reinforce the fact  that what Canada Post plans to do is correct, and in line with the act.

The Union cannot say... No....  because this negative view by the union means lots of debt  which CPC is currently working to minimize, and eventually reduce..

Whether the union agrees or not...  CPC wins on everything.... All CPC has to do is quote the Act  and provide proper documentation..... even without binding arbitration.

and ....When it come to the pension,  the question relates to solvency....  Because insolvency means bankruptcy...

The August 23 meetings could be, or will be important in deciding  the immediate future of Canada Post.

We shall see.

Message 71 of 87
latest reply

to who ever wrote binding arbitration...you must be a manager

Message 72 of 87
latest reply

If the public only knew what goes on behind the scenes of public services I think they would be shocked.  The amounts of money wasted and the little left that trickles down to the front line employees.  I wont even start on what can happen to pensions no matter what or law indicates.

@cdurhack wrote:

@cdurhack wrote:

Message 73 of 87
latest reply

I support binding arbitration and, no, I'm not a manager. I'm a small business owner trying to feed my family with eBay sales which have all but stopped due to this postal situation.
Message 74 of 87
latest reply

"The amounts of money wasted and the little left that trickles down to the front line employees."

In CPs case the staff get about half the gross revenue, the owner gets absolutely nothing, year after year. The owner has lent them money at a very low rate, when their other option would be issuing junk status high yield debt. And the owner is potentially on the hook for $8b and growing pension deficit if thinss are turned around

Its an absurd situation no other owner would have stood for. Its only $15 to buy a membership to support Benrier for the leadership and his pledge to put an end to this type of thing
Message 75 of 87
latest reply

" the staff get about half the gross revenue, the owner gets absolutely nothing, year after year"

There is a solution.  Privatize Canada Post by selling it to its employee for the net asset value.

50,000 employees at $10,000 each for a down payment .

Let them manage the place.

Message 76 of 87
latest reply

I like that idea.
Message 77 of 87
latest reply

We could let them have it for free, conditional on having a plan to repay the debt and absolving the government of any responsibility for the pension.  They wouldnt take it for free.

Message 78 of 87
latest reply

I also like that idea.
Message 79 of 87
latest reply

They reached an agreement 🙂

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 80 of 87
latest reply