Canada Post Does Not Make any Sense

bare_bright
Community Member
Can Anyone make any sense out of this?

I can ship a light Packet to the USA 22 x 15 x 2 cm

and up to .500 Kilo and it only costs $2.17 CAD

Now That's a great price, Now try to send this Across the street here in Canada

It Cost $9.14 To ship the same Package 5 Miles from my Place and if it were going to Vancouver add another $2.00

Now how the heck can I compete shipping Small items in Canada when it cost 3 almost 4 times the amount?

it just no right or fair & Now there Bragging about there new SPECIAL SHIPPING BOXES wow No big savings there either.

Why can't they put there heads together and have a fair Shipping price within Canada if the want to have a slice of the internet Buss.

I tried sending a small bubble wrap envelope like the size I mentioned and put 5 stamps on it, Guess what? the sent it right back to me with a nice costly Sticker on it Stating RETURN TO SENDER "POSTAGE DUE $5.96
THERE JUST PLAIN OLD NUTS

ON ANOTHER TOPIC:
I Shipped a medium sized Parcel to Arizona via Expedited Parcel and after 30 days the buyer emails me, Still no Jacket, so I chk. the tracking number and shows OUT FOR DELIVERY & it still does 60 days now.

anyway after the first email 30 days after shipping I call CP and give them the run down & guess what? 2 days after the call the want to verify my Buss. Name and Address to send me a chk for $109.76 NO TRACE NO QUESTIONS NOTHING

That's fine and dandy I got my $ Back but now I had to deal with the buyer who really wanted this one of a kind Leather jacket. CP had no reply for that.

anyway doing a chk at usps with the same tracking # it tells me sent to recovery center, That's where lost mail etc. goes, I call them up and they Locate the Parcel by the Tracking Number and can't tell me nothing they say CanadaPost has to inquire etc. which they wont.

So now the buyer tried to call usps same story, he is so made that he going to drive to Dallas like 100 Miles to try and get his parcel.

anyway I just had to blow of Steam at CP for there great help and oh ya thanks for those special boxes WoW

Later
T.J.
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I can only answer to why sending items in Canada is more expensive than to USA.

. Because of postal union agreements, the national post office is responsible for deliveries in their own country. So if you are sending parcel to USA, it's actually USPS doing the delivery, not CanadaPost.

. Canada has much lower population density (it does not look like that in Toronto, but it has) and lower volume (1/10th population). Lower volume, more work for postman = higher prices.

. CanadaPost is less efficient than USPS. Even with the prices like they have with high overhead, they turn only miniscule profit.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I send that size envelope all the time in Canada and it only costs $1.15, you MUST make sure it is under 2cm. I have a special jig that I test all my packages before I mail it to make sure it passes the test. I have NEVER had any of them come back. I don't like the fact that we have to use stamps to send LIGHT packages in Canada but who knows maybe one day we won't.:-D
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi cottonwoodindustries,

When you are saying using stamps to send LIGHT packages in Canada...are you referring to Other Letter mail?

Our post office ONLY has stamps...nothing else! So, everything I send has stamps on it and some more than others!

A question for all....the forms for SMALL PACKET and LIGHT PACKET....are they the same? Our rural post office only has SMALL PACKET and then he marks through the word SMALL and write LIGHT. Is this what others do?

Just curious!

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

bare_bright
Community Member
It's a lot faster and cheaper to buy and print your labels at paypal it's like 1,2,3 label done

getting back to your question yes they have not made a diff. form for light packet even when you print a light packet label online it says small packet on the label itself.

and for cottonwoodindustries reply yes 2 cm or less is no problem if I drop it off in a mail box, it's the new clowns at the post office when I bring them in person say sorry only documents allowed it has to go by parcel etc. I think I will drive the extra mile and go to the big Post office since the local one is always with young trainees and don't know to much just enough to land them the job at CP , I even allmost have to beg for Fragile labels and last time I did I had to wait for the supervisor and her reply was why should I give you stickers I don't get anything out of it since you print your own labels? man I was burning I told her look I spend over $1000.00 a month easy at CanadaPost and that $ pays someones salary or part of it, she gave me 3 sheets, can u beleive that.

Like the old saying goes it's not what you know it's who you know

later
T.J.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Thanks for the information about the Small Packet label being the same as the one for Light Packet. I wasn't sure!

You are right...I could do my shipping through PayPal, however, I try to support the local rural post office. If they close...we are up a river without any paddles! I would have to go to shipping out one day a week since it would be more than 40 miles round trip to the post office then.

Have a good evening!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Form for "light" and "small" is now the same.

"Small", I do on-line with Venture One.

"Light", I affix stamps, "O/S" label, "Air Mail" sticker "flip over" label and, on the back, CN 22.

Routinely send "light" with over 2 cm and heavier than what I pay for (i.e. 100 gr). NEVER had one returned (I just drop them into a mailbox).

As to the all the supplies (labelopes, stickers, etc), it was only a problem until I got hold of the regional rep for CP. Since then, always in stock for me - they have been really good, I must admit. Seems I'm the only major eBayer in town and they could not envisage someone requiring 200-300 labelopes a month up here LOL!

Xena
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I am fortunate to live very close to the local Post Office. They are friendly, give me all the supplies I need and I rarely stand in line for long.

I make out the Small Packet labels at home and they do the rest. Unfortunately, the young man that they have had for so long has gone back to delivering mail. I think the stress got to him, that is, listening to people all day long complain about CP rates and blaming him for it. Also, as is the trend today, CP thinks they only need one person to look after customers even though there is now only one other postal outlet in a city of 28,000. And they had a record number of customers through the Post Office in April.

dipmicro.....I talked with a CP rep last year at eBay University in Toronto and he said basically the same thing as you did. CP has agreements with other countries regarding rates and some of them, like the US, can deliver the mail less expensively than can be done within Canada, mainly because of population. That is why it is cheaper to mail there.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

bare_bright
Community Member
ok I can agree about Population, but I tend to think it's those High salary's the Unions etc.

such a huge difference $2.17 Light packet anywhere in USA

and Aprox. Canada Same PKG. is $9.97 Avg Almost 5 Times

Hard to comprehend 2 times maybe

I can bitch and wine all I want but nothing will change, if anything they will increase the price to make up for there new Fancy Boxes lol :^O
T.J.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
Canada Post is wacky!!
Message 10 of 10
latest reply