Canada Post Strike Update July

Canada Post extremely disappointed with CUPW’s response to its offers

Dear Canada Post customer,

I am writing to update you on our negotiations and advise you that there can be no legal work disruption before the expiry of a 72-hour notice, and one has yet to be filed.

On Saturday, June 25, 2016, we tabled offers in our separate negotiations with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW-Urban and CUPW-RSMC), which represent our delivery agents and plant employees. Our offers were designed to help bring a quick resolution to the negotiations and end the uncertainty that is negatively impacting our customers and our employees. Our offers included modest and manageable wage increases for all employees and no changes to the pension for all employees in the plan.

As you can read in our public statement, we are extremely disappointed with the response from CUPW. Late Friday evening, CUPW tabled offers that would add at least $1 billion in new costs over the term of a new collective agreement while rejecting the Corporation’s approach to address the long-term issues with the employee pension plan.

Rather than saddle customers with more than $1 billion in new costs, Canada Post continues to remain at the table to negotiate an agreement that is reasonable and affordable. In the event of a full disruption, Canada Post will not operate, deliver or accept new items. We will keep you updated on our progress.

Thank you for your business and your continued patience.

Sincerely,
Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporation
Message 1 of 317
latest reply
316 REPLIES 316

No, just the opposite. Union wants id pension to stay the same for all new hires which ain't going to be cheap since CP is already in the whole for the existing employee pensions.

I don't know if it is still the same, but many government pensions were funded from general revenue.

The union has given up nothing from what I can read and keep wanting more and then trying to blame CP. As I said before, I wish they would get locked out, never able to go back to work at their so called tough jobs. Lets see how they would make out as ditch diggers, laborers and long distance drivers.

This union is right out to lunch and will eventually destroy CP and small businesses if they are allowed to continue.

Message 201 of 317
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

We should remember that CUPW serves `the needs of its membership at about 50,000.

CPC serves the needs of the population of Canada at about 36,000,000.

CUPW is outbid  720 to 1.

We should also remember that Canada Post has to answer to its shareholders.  I'm sure that not all 36 million shareholders feel that they're not being served as well as they could be by the Corporation.

Supermailbox users come to mind, for instance.

Message 202 of 317
latest reply

Canada Post is a Crown Corporation  that must function separate from any monetary input by the Government of Canada.

CPC Is owned by the Government,  ....  It is the people of Canada  that own CPC.

When CUPW negotiates with CPC it is negotiating with the people of Canada....

and if there is a difficulty during negotiation CPC will most likely win.

CPC like any other corporation in Canada has control of its own destiny.....

Could it be that  CUPW can negotiate the small things but when  the big things come up...  CPC will win whether CUPW agrees or not.

Perhaps that is why CUPW dislikes binding artbitration

Message 203 of 317
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Canada Post is a Crown Corporation  that must function separate from any monetary input by the Government of Canada.

CPC Is owned by the Government,  ....  It is the people of Canada  that own CPC.

When CUPW negotiates with CPC it is negotiating with the people of Canada....

CUPW members are also Canadians.  They may represent their own interests, but many of their interests overlap with those of other Canadians.  Is CPC acting in the best interests of the people of Canada when it wants to eliminate door-to-door delivery or close post offices?

@cumos55 wrote:

CPC like any other corporation in Canada has control of its own destiny.....

Could it be that  CUPW can negotiate the small things but when  the big things come up...  CPC will win whether CUPW agrees or not.

Perhaps that is why CUPW dislikes binding artbitration

Who is control of Canada Post's "destiny"?  Its executives or its shareholders, the people of Canada?

As far as CUPW not liking binding arbitration, you don't have to go any further than its website to find out the reasoning why:  It doesn't work (for a variety of reasons).

Message 204 of 317
latest reply

Computer technology is the single factor that controls what Canada Post has to do.

Continued development of the internet is a prime factor

Cellular phones  that became mobile devices  where we have instantaneous views of almost anything on the internet.

Selling on the on-line world  has changed how we shop  for what we want...... 

This means less lettermail.....  less need for the delivery of mail to each residence....  Community mailboxes are the standard for new developments... and will become the standard for everyone.

Internet sales....  and the increased delivery of parcels... delivering the on-line world as Canada Post states......  increases with each passing year...

Canada Post's Flex Delivery as a response to those that buy a lot on the internet... an Internationally recognized award winning option.

The latest..... Many years ago Canada Post reduced the number of postal outlets staffed by Canada Post personnel....    Franchised locations became a standard....  and soon there will be less outlets staffed by Canada Post  personnel

When community mailboxes became the rule for new developments in a city...there was a disappointments with a loss of delivery to each residence.... They adapted... as they have adapted to the recent placement of community  mailboxes.

Canada Post has made changes..... Other postal systems worldwide are watching how things work out for Canada Post.....

Other postal systems are changing as well... USPS is an example of delivery of mail changes to be expected...

Computer technology is influencing  how  mail is delivered.  Canada Post has to make adjustments.

Message 205 of 317
latest reply

Labour Canada Reports Huge Increase in Canada Post Injuries
Share This

Friday July 22 2016
2015-2019/153
No 51

We met with the mediators today and reviewed the current state of our negotiations with Canada Post and the lack of real progress.

In our meeting with CPC today we discussed Health and Safety Training (Appendix DD). CPC is still determined to reduce the 8 hours of health and safety training that every employee receives even though the injury rate at CPC is the highest in the federal public sector.

CPC’s Health and Safety Record

Every round of bargaining involves many issues that are connected to health and safety. This year is no exception. One thing that is new is the report from Labour Canada that reveals that Canada Post Corporation, once again, has the highest rate of disabling injuries in the Federal Sector. As seen below, Canada Post now has an annual rate of disabling injuries of seven per 100 full-time employees. This is 64% higher than the second most dangerous sector, Long Shoring, and almost four times the average for all industries covered by the federal jurisdiction.

Disabling injury incidence rate by federal jurisdiction industry sector, 2014: Labour Canada

Disabling injury incidence rate by federal jurisdiction industry sector, 2014: Labour Canada

As seen in the graph below, according to Labour Canada, after reporting a steady decline in injury rates beginning in 2011, the postal sector experienced a major increase in injuries beginning in 2014.

Since Canada Post changed its reporting practices for injuries in 2011, it is possible that the Corporation’s claims of injury reduction during 2011-2014 were false. However, even if the Corporation has been submitting inaccurate information to Labour Canada, there is no doubting that CPC remains a dangerous place to work. That is why the need for training, healthy shift schedules and safe work practices are a major concern of the negotiating committee. 

Industry sectors with highest rates of disabling injuries: 2010-2014: Labour Canada

Industry sectors with highest rates of disabling injuries: 2010-2014: Labour Canada

Meetings Continue

The parties also discussed Group 3 & 4 (Tech Services) weekend work. We presented language on sorting sequenced mail into the case to allow letter carriers to safely deliver mail using the one-bundle delivery method. CPC did not respond at this time.

The parties will continue to meet over the weekend in an effort to make some real progress at the table. We will keep you posted.

Still Strong and United!

Sylvain Lapointe
Chief Negotiator, Urban Unit
George Floresco
Chief Negotiator, RSMC Unit
Message 206 of 317
latest reply

Here is an interesting read  about...

USPS and the end of the delivery of mail to your door.

and ...  the use of cluster boxes......  We call them community ,mailboxes....  also USPS and curbline delivery

http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/23/news/economy/postal-home-delivery/index.html

Same arguments as for Canada Post ... and  being done for the same reason as by Canada Post..

Less lettermail ... first class mail....being process.... and the high cost of delivery to each house/residence.

Message 207 of 317
latest reply

ALL of my lettermail could come one day a month. One. That is the importance of what I get. Those that send it could co-ordinate for that day.

One day a month,

Oh! The seniors! Oh, woe are the seniors!

Well, they get the same mail I do. One day a month. If they cannot get to the mailbox, one day a month, how are they feeding themselves?

Photobucket
Message 208 of 317
latest reply

I don't begrudge seniors or people with disabilities or parents with young children -- all of whom may rely on to-the-door delivery -- anything. Let them benefit from the service as long as possible. People don't appreciate the luxury of being fully ambulatory until they aren't.
Message 209 of 317
latest reply

I have seen children get the mail at Community mailboxes.

People will also check the mail on the way home form work

It is on a long  street in Winnipeg where one can find a whole line of community mail boxes.  ... all on one side of the road, one long line

One side of this road extends to the Seine River on the east... while the other side  extends to St Anne's Road....

This is very easy delivery option for Canada Post... one person, little walking  and one of those small delivery trucks full of mail

Message 210 of 317
latest reply

I don't get what all this has to do with the facts that binding arbitration has not worked out satisfactorily in the past or that Canada Post;s management doesn't always act in the best interests of its owners/shareholders. 

Message 211 of 317
latest reply

I don't think it's accurate to call either of those things 'facts'.

Message 212 of 317
latest reply

The people that deliver the mail to each house in the route  have to deal with the carrying of bags full of mail... and flyers.

They walk long distances...  Summer time is a relatively easy walk... However winter puts them walking on snow... an uneven walk at times, slippery sidewalks and streets....  and sometimes walkways that are not shovelled.

Delivery personnel can experience injury......  and when they do they are transferred to sorting facilities.

Some mail can be quite heavy  ... This I know from the mailing of some heavy parcels full of books....

Community mailboxes will help here..

Message 213 of 317
latest reply

'Community mailboxes will help there.'

Help whom exactly? Not an elderly person, someone with disabilities, or a parent trying to push a stroller a block away to get the mail. 

Message 214 of 317
latest reply

The use of the small CPC vans helps all delivery personnel...  CPC has bought a massive fleet of these vans.

Community mailboxes would also mean less walking, and less need to carry heavy bags over long distances.

CUPW did not mention any way to reduce injury to CPC workers.

and then.....

Can CUPW afford to say... Delivery personnel benefit with the use of community mailboxes for mail delivery

Message 215 of 317
latest reply

Community mailboxes

People that require a measure of assistance to get the mail will get that assistance....

One can always make appropriate plans with respect who will pick up the mail and at what time of the day.that will occur.

Where there is a will ....there is a way....

Many people who saw community mailboxes as a problem before they became a reality... now have no difficulty with their use

Message 216 of 317
latest reply

Anyone who says the inconvenience of a community mailbox is 'no big deal' for its users is doing so from a position of able-bodied entitlement. 

Message 217 of 317
latest reply

There are all kinds of services that people can use for assistance.

This is for seniors, and for people with disabilities.  No one is without the possibility of some form of assistance.

and there are neighbours as well.....  and then adult children of a senior.

The challenge of community mailboxes can be met.....

I know the senior situation from personal experience  for my mother  who received some form of assistance from  age 75 on   and that was for close to 20 years... The level of assistance increased as the years passed....

There are a lot of options for seniors and people with disabilities  that most people do not know about.... 

and above all.... once CPC ,makes the adjustment  it will be their responsibility to make sure that... All is OK......

Message 218 of 317
latest reply

I'm telling you that the day Canada Post stops delivering parcels to my door is the day I quit shopping with retailers who ship using Canada Post.

If I have to get in my car and drive somewhere to pick up my order, the entire point of having ordered it to my home is gone, period.

If this strike/lockout was about the cessation of to-the-door-delivery, the union would have my full support, and I'd be organizing sit-ins at my nearest Post Office. As it's not, I couldn't care less.

And I challenge your assertion there is ample support for seniors and people with disabilities that people don't know about. With personal experience to the contrary. Any 'support' is hard-sought and begrudgingly given. And still not available to people who are shut-in due to other circumstances like parents of small children. Anyone who begs to disagree should come spend a month of the winter wearing my shoes.

Message 219 of 317
latest reply

Canada Post ....Flex delivery ....will work for you... and everyone else in a similar circumstances

Link to...

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/pages/fd/default.page

Postal services worldwide are impressed with this option for delivery of parcels

This would work well for someone who buys a lot on-line

Message 220 of 317
latest reply