Canada Post delivery standards for parcels

When I read the delivery standards below, It seems shipping nationally within Canada is getting the shaft if compared to US and International.

7 days for expedited parcel national is absurd !

Ship to Canadian, U.S. and international destinations

Canada
Local, regional and national delivery

U.S.
Over 153 million delivery points

International
Ship to more than 192 countries worldwide

Regular Parcel

Local — up to 2 days1
Regional — up to 5 days1
National — up to 9 days1

For personal and business delivery across Canada with our least expensive service that still includes tracking.

Expedited Parcel
Local — 1 day1
Regional — up to 3 days1
National — up to 7 days1
Businesses that have an account with Canada Post can send parcels across Canada with this economical ground service.

Expedited Parcel — USA
Delivery in 4 — 7 days1
Send larger packages up to 30 kg to the U.S. with tracking and liability coverage.

International Parcel — Air
Delivery in 6 — 10 days1
Send personal and business parcels internationally with liability coverage. Ships to destinations not served by our Xpresspost™ — International service.

International Parcel — Surface
Europe: 1-2 months
Asia-Pac/Aus: 2-3 months
Africa: 2-3 months
S. America: 1-2 months

Send non-time sensitive personal and business parcels with liability coverage. Best value international shipping service for packages up to 30 kg.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

7 days for expedited parcel national is absurd !

What's absurd about it? Expedited is a surface service, how fast can you drive from St John's NL to Victoria BC?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Expedited Canada is ground service versus Expedited USA which is air service.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

What about the remote or northern communities that take 13 business days for delivery?

I don't see those anywhere in that table. 

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Why don't we get air service the same as US and International. I sent one from Alberta to Ontario and it was over $18.00 to send it. That is not cheap for such a slow service. Why do they call it expedited?

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

I'm betting the second digit in the destination postal code was a zero. That, or it weighed more than 1 kg.
Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Why don't we get air service the same as US and International. I sent one from Alberta to Ontario and it was over $18.00 to send it. That is not cheap for such a slow service. Why do they call it expedited?

It's called '"expedited" because it's faster than regular parcel.

"Expedited" means "faster".  It doesn't mean "fast".

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

We do....it's called Xpresspost!

In the freight/logistics business "expedited" refers to a mid-grade service.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Also, the moment a parcel enters or leaves the country, it gets the Xpresspost sticker treatment for some reason only the Universal Postal Union agreements know. 

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Is that always the case? I only ask because I have an item coming from the US and the tracking says it is in Canada as an Expedited Parcel. I know many other items I've ordered from outside Canada became Xpresspost, but I can't recall if every single one of them was.

It's supposed to arrive this week, so I guess I'll find out soon.
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

@thestuffofchris wrote:

Is that always the case? I only ask because I have an item coming from the US and the tracking says it is in Canada as an Expedited Parcel. I know many other items I've ordered from outside Canada became Xpresspost, but I can't recall if every single one of them was.

It's supposed to arrive this week, so I guess I'll find out soon.

Items sent by First Class International (small packet) with USPS's "DELCON" (DELivery CONfirmation) service usually get Xpresspost stickers put on them, but I'm not sure if this means that they're handled as Xpresspost within Canada.  At the very least, they get put into Canada Post's Xpresspost database.

I've seen this done with items sent from the US as regular international parcels (Priority International) as well, but this was some time ago.  I haven't received a parcel post item from the US in quite some time so I don't know if this is still the case.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Thanks for the information.
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

I cannot account for all parcels, only the ones I've seen. I suppose the definitive answer would need to come from Canada Post.
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
I cannot account for all parcels, only the ones I've seen. I suppose the definitive answer would need to come from Canada Post.

I've had them both ways, it's seems to depend on where the packages clear Canada Customs relative to where they are being delivered. USPS First Class entering via Vancouver come to me as Xpresspost in Toronto, if they enter via Mississauga it's Expedited usually.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

That would make sense, then, as this one came through Mississauga.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply

I will start to compare too. I don't think more than one per cent of the things ordered online come through Vancouver for me so that would mean mine are coming via Xpresspost from Mississauga. Could distance between import centre and destination play a role? Would CPC spend that much time evaluating each item as it comes through? Is it possible they have a UPU delivery standard to meet once the item clears Customs?  

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

.... I don't think more than one per cent of the things ordered online come through Vancouver for me so that would mean mine are coming via Xpresspost from Mississauga. Could distance between import centre and destination play a role? Would CPC spend that much time evaluating each item as it comes through? ...

If Canada Post had such an evaluation program -- it would be based on the postal code for the package destination -- really not much to do once the computer is set up for each entry point. So the computer makes the decision and prints the desired label, then on to the next package.

-..-

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

It was an envelope that weighed 199 grams

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

Did the buyer live somewhere remote? Rural or northern? 

The reason I ask is that the only times I have had a 200 g package cost me $18 to get to Ontario, it was due to the buyers being located in No Man's Land 123 Sasquatch Street. 

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Manitoulin Island

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Did the buyer live somewhere remote? Rural or northern? 

The reason I ask is that the only times I have had a 200 g package cost me $18 to get to Ontario, it was due to the buyers being located in No Man's Land 123 Sasquatch Street. 

Message 20 of 29
latest reply