Canada Post's handling fees

Im ordering a bikini from china which is $11, I heard if the product is under $20 there will be no duty or tax added to it when it goes through customs; BUT, Canada Post charges a handling fee from items coming in from outside of Canada if its subject to duty/tax. So that means i wont be charged for anything else at my door right?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

For a shipment valued under Cdn$ 20, there should be no tax or duty charged. 

There is no handling fee by Canada Post when no tax or duty need to be collected.  For more information, please take a look at:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The charge is for collecting applicable duty and taxes on delivery, so no.

Generally speaking Canada Border Services Agency ignores imports not only under $20 CDN (about $16USD) which is the law, but also items that are under $100 or so and not bulky.

Their reasoning seems to be that it would cost the taxpayer more to process and collect such low value imports than they could possibly collect.  Common sense from your public service.

It would make even more sense if the politicians would raise the amount that could be imported by mail to the same $200 that cross-border shoppers get, but that does not seem to have occured to the Harperites.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

BTW , the Chinese cut small.

Go up a couple of sizes when ordering. A Chinese XL is about a Canadian Size 8.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

There are 3 sizes for the bikini and they say if your cup a or b it should fit in small, and b and c in medium. Im going to get small since im a B but do you think i should get medium?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Can you buy a bra off the shelf without trying it on?

Do you have a smaller friend or relative with the same taste is swimwear as you? Returns to China are economically pointless.

At any given moment, I am wearing at least three different sizes in clothing. And I try everything on before purchase.

But basically, look at your friends of Chinese descent. What do you think Asian manufacturers who have never actually seen a Western woman think a cup size is?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

No fees....In fact most Chinese sellers even though they do not need to mark the item as gift or valued at $1.00.  But don't worry the rash will also be free.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply