Changes coming to eBay.com in mid 2017!

I was just listing items on eBay.com when this disclaimer appeared on the listing....

"In mid 2017 eBay will begin to turn off active content"

What do they mean by active content?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The banning of active content in a listing was announced in the 2016 Spring Update.  Things like the Auctiva scrolling gallery (current version is active, they might be able to make a non-active one), photo galleries in the description that you click or hover over to change the photo ( not static photos in the description).

You see to use plain text listing descriptions so you should not care about this.

There is a more detailed announcement on this here

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/bestpractices.html

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Remove active content for peak performance

The use of active content in listings, including JavaScript, Flash, plug-ins and form actions, inhibits purchases on mobile devices and can lead to abuse in the marketplace. Beginning with the Spring 2017 Seller Update, eBay will limit the use of active content in all new listings across all devices and it will not be rendered by default. By the Fall Seller Update 2017, we plan to remove or block listings with active content. We encourage you to limit your use of active content now. We will provide more information later this year about which functionality will be limited and provide the specific timing in early 2017. We also are working closely with our third-party partners in cases where they use active content on your item descriptions or stores.

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/sprupd16/view-item.html

Best practices for replacing active content in eBay listings

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Many Thanks.... I looked over the content but my brain wasn't translating... LOL!

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Auctiva already has a non active scrolling gallery that they say should be OK.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply