Christmas Cards

Has anyone had any luck selling handmade Christmas Cards on eBay? Also, what category? It didn't feel to me that the category they suggested was the right one. Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Christmas Cards

Certainly if you use eBay, have the cards ready to ship.  And list with Free Auctions and a starting bid that is what you want to get for the cards. 

Don't fall for the 99cent idiocy eBay pushes.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Christmas Cards

How is Etsy different than eBay?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Christmas Cards

Etsy caters to the crafter market. The sellers do crafts. The buyers are looking for crafts. It is some what of a specialized site in that genre and does not sell toasters and car parts, per se.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Christmas Cards

I set up an acct at Etsy. Seemed easy but I don't like how they charge you 20 cents (eBay is free for the most part). I listed one card so we will see what happens.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Christmas Cards

free? there is a 10% ebay commission and 2.5% paypal commission :$ if you're cards sell for 2$+ you might as well use a card selling site . which will charge you .20$ for card sale ebay is .25 these comparisons are assuming you are selling them for at least 2$ maby more. seeing you are selling for 10$ obo you should really use a crafting or card selling site. Anyway best of luck

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Christmas Cards

I bought a mass market card the other day and it cost me $5.99. Others from the same manufacturer cost up to $9.99.

Don't underprice your one of a kind items.

The ones I found in the card store must have a market at that price. Know your competition.

In addition to the cost of your materials and allowing about 20% of your selling price for eBay and Paypal fees, don't forget to charge for your labour. The minimum wage in Ontario is 17 cents a minute. Set up a timer when you start to make a card. Don't forget the time you spend listing, picturing (scanners are best for flat things like books and cards), and packaging.

Remember that when someone buys a card it is usually sent immediately. Speed of shipping is important. Don't wait over 24 hours to mail the card.

In fact you could even offer to ship directly to the recipient. Your buyer can add a 'gift address' to her Paypal account for just such a situation.

Be very aware of the costs of shipping. However, consider including these costs in the price of the card.

You may want to market these are 'collectible' 'frameable' 'art pieces', etc.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Christmas Cards

You have 80 keystrokes free in your title. Use every one of them.

You need key words like handmade unique free shipping embossed chain Christmas jewel velvet holiday greeting in your title. Grammar is not important, punctuation is a waste, but watch your spelling. (But use alternate spellings and common errors-- Christmas Xmas Chistmas)

Once you have a description that sells the sizzle of your product, use it over and over with the minor variations for each item.

Describe as if you have no pictures. Picture as if you have no words.

What is the weight of the paper you are using? Is it printed inside? What is the message? Is there special paper? Have you added decorative elements? (The $9.99 card I saw included a wrap for a cell phone another had a small notebook included). Any glitter? Is the paper Fair Trade sourced?

This strikes me as an impulse buy for an aspirational person. She reads Martha Stewart and Simple Living. She watches HGTV, but not the renovation shows, only the decoration. Stroke her ego.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Christmas Cards

drucecat
Community Member

I think you may have better luck listing in the following category:

Crafts > Handcrafted & Finished Pieces >Greeting Cards and Gift Tags > Greeting Cards

If you search for Handmade Christmas Cards a number of results come up and most of the sellers seem to be listing as above.

Best of luck to you!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply