Did I dodge a bullet?

Sold an item in middle of November to US buyer in California. (the estimated time of delivery was 7 to 10 days on that item, it was an old item that had been listed for years)

Got a polite message from them on Dec 10 advising they've been waiting 7 days and still haven't received the item.

I used one of my form letters (didn't mention they'd been waiting for a lot more than 7 days already). I always jump on these things ASAP, the form letters help with that too.

Didn't hear anything back, which usually isn't good news.

Yesterday got positive feedback, which included a notation that I responded quickly.

Checked yesterday and again today, no late delivery defect from them.

So it looks like being fast and polite helped me dodge a bullet!

(I'll be irritated with myself if writing this jinxs me and the ding shows up tomorrow!)

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Did I dodge a bullet?

Because a defect in this case would be given by the buyer in feedback, my 'guess' is that a defect would show up right away.  I bet that you have dodged it!

🙂

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Did I dodge a bullet?

Fast and polite doesn't always work but what almost never works is slow and rude.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Did I dodge a bullet?

hopefully you are o.k. it can take up to 48 hours for defects to update.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Did I dodge a bullet?

I find it sad that we sellers have to worry about the late delivery defect at all.  Most of us ship out promptly & have no control of the postal system. This is one of the worst things that eBay ever implimented. We have enough stuff to worry about as sellers but that shouldn't be one of them. Every time eBay asks me to do a survey about how they better can help sellers, I always comment on the late delivery defect & that they should remove it.  Wouldn't it be a better thing to be rated if the item was safely wrapped not if the buyer received it by an estimated date. That's just me adding my two cents to the issue.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Did I dodge a bullet?

I totally agree, Packaging should be rated by eBay (very important) and estimate delivery dates extended by 7-10 days across the board.  

I've let eBay know on numerous occasions (via surveys) that the sellers packaging for items sold should be rated in DSR's.  

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Did I dodge a bullet?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have informed eBay so many times for many years that how the sellers packed their items should be included but no, eBay just wouldn't bother to listen to us.  I got so many packages/parcels that were so poorly packaged and half of them arrived damaged.  Those sellers need to be dinged for bad packaging and then we maybe see much improvements in packaging then.  eBay are you listening?  I know eBay may not listen but thought to say just in case they are listening by reading the message.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Did I dodge a bullet?

I forgot to put the postscript that I did in fact dodge the bullet... fortunately no late defect so they were kind to me in the end.

Proof that sometimes nice guys don't always finish last....
Message 8 of 8
latest reply