Dirty eBay GSP

So I got screwed by eBay GSP yet again!

I ordered an item and it was shipped rather expensively at my expense ($30).

The tracking number says it was delivered, but it was NOT delivered!

I filed a case with eBay saying that I did not receive my item and they immediately closed the case and said "Sorry".

So I phoned USPS, and they said they don't know where the package is, but that it was not delivered there was an error.

And eBay GSP sent the item without any insurance.

So basically I paid $30 for eBay GSP shipping to ship something that should have cost about $10 to ship, and eBay shipped it WITHOUT insurance protection. So now I am screwed by eBay again.

Way to go eBay!

It really is time to start taking my business off of eBay and to other sites.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Dirty eBay GSP

Where did the tracking say it was delivered to? was it the USPS domestic number?

All GSP shipments are insured. If they have lost it you should be reimbursed.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@jlincognito wrote:

So I got screwed by eBay GSP yet again!

I ordered an item and it was shipped rather expensively at my expense ($30).

The tracking number says it was delivered, but it was NOT delivered!

I filed a case with eBay saying that I did not receive my item and they immediately closed the case and said "Sorry".

So I phoned USPS, and they said they don't know where the package is, but that it was not delivered there was an error.

And eBay GSP sent the item without any insurance.

So basically I paid $30 for eBay GSP shipping to ship something that should have cost about $10 to ship, and eBay shipped it WITHOUT insurance protection. So now I am screwed by eBay again.

This story isn't adding up for me.

Where does the tracking information indicate the item was delivered?  Are you reading the delivery confirmation information for the item's arrival at the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky?  Since this would have been the only leg of the item's journey that could have been handled by USPS, I'm puzzled as to why you contacted USPS about this.  USPS does not handle GSP items from Kentucky to the Canadian receiving hub, and USPS definitely doesn't handle transport and delivery of GSP items within Canada.

It's not unusual for the online-viewable component of a GSP item's tracking to dead-end at the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.  Once delivery to the GSC is confirmed, the seller is protected against any sort of claim of non-delivery.  I'm wondering if whoever handled your claim was using this delivery confirmation information as reference, rather than delivery to your home.  When you filed your case, did you indicate (or was there any indication in the claim) that the item was shipped through the GSP?

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

When dealing with the extra complications of a GSP case withinn the Resolution Centre, you need to CALL THEM to explain the extenuating circumstances. Resolution Centre cases are otherwise opened and closed by bots and if they find Delivered on the tracking, the bots are programmed to assume it was delivered to the correct address. You have to call and ask for an Appeal. 

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Another poster worked this out for buyers who have not yet received their GSP shipment.
TRACKING SYSTEM FOR GSP
It's not user friendly... But I found how to track your package via the global shipping program, once it gets to Canada you need to:
- Log on to eBay.ca
- Under the My eBay menu select Purchase History
- Under your orders find the specific order.  It should have something like the following:
        Estimated delivery Mon, Jan 11 - Thu, Jan 21
        Tracking number: Tracking number UPAAB000000#########
- Click on the UPA number.  This should open up a Shipment Details window, which should contain something like this:
     This shipment has been transferred to CPC for delivery to the final destination # 70351#########
-Click on the Canada Post number to see where the Canada Post Tracking history and expected delivery

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Yes that is how it works.  It will show delivered about a day before Canada Post actually does deliver it.  You also need to check to see if it is at your usual package depot for Canada Post.  All the GSP items I have ever ordered have arrived via Canada Post.  And it always shows delivered when it arrives at the substation for your route.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

The issue here is eBay does very little to communicate to buyers what exactly the process is when a GSP item is purchased. 

So a buyer who has no clue that the package will be making a stop at a GSP Hub may freak out (and rightfully so) especially when the GSP tracking system often does not work properly. There have been many times when GSP Tracking does not show the UPAA Tracking # but only shows the tracking number provided by the seller. No doubt a "test" by eBay. However, that only serves to infuriate buyers who have no clue what's going on.

I would reckon that if eBay launched GSP and provided a quick animated rundown of what to expect plus fixed the tracking so it's more customer friendly (ie; instead of just showing tracking to some "hub" it can show a graph of "Seller's Place ->> Hub -->> YOU" so you actually have a clue as to what's going on....GSP would be favorably received..but no, that's not how eBay rolls.

My rant for the day.

In the rare chance eBay is listening, wake up and let your users know what's going on or you simply will lose customers, which means lose money. Money talks. Are you listening?

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member
Once was enough for me.
I no longer deal with anyone using the Global Shipping Program.

I also avoid orders totaling &20 or more from U.S sellers using "USPS First Class Mail Intl / First Class Package Intl Service" as that has also cost me dearly with additional Canada Post fees.
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:

I also avoid orders totaling &20 or more from U.S sellers using "USPS First Class Mail Intl / First Class Package Intl Service" as that has also cost me dearly with additional Canada Post fees.

It's not the mailing method that attracts taxes and fees.  It's the fact that any "casual import" shipped by post or courier with a declared value of over C$20 is subject to being assessed and charged taxes (and duty if applicable).

Some items, such as books, aren't even subject to the C$20 tax/duty-free minimum.

If in the past you've been purchasing items by mail valued at C$20 and not getting charged taxes, etc. by CBSA and Canada Post, you've simply been very fortunate.

When my wife and I first started buying items on eBay seventeen or so years ago, we could count on about three-quarters of our purchases being assessed and charged taxes.  That dropped off in the mid-00's to almost none, apparently under the direction of the previous government.  I suspect our present government has encouraged CBSA to ramp up the assessment process again.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Fool me once...
Message 10 of 24
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:

Fool me once...

How do you plan on purchasing items from outside of Canada with a declared value of over C$20 and have them shipped to you tax and duty-free?  Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

As soon as I see even an item I would like, I look further - never have and never will use the GSP - too much hassle if something goes wrong.  But yes, if it is something really unique you just HAVE to have I do understand..........I guess!

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

I should add (I forgot) a long time ago I did see something, but it wasn't worth very much so I contacted the seller who seemed totally uneducated about something small (makeup!) costing me (Canadians) so much.  She did her thing, and contacted me again - she had it taken off.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Ha!

It arrived today September 8.

The tracking number said it was delivered September 2!

Nice tracking number eBay GSP!

Might as well not even have a tracking number if it is going to be out to lunch for a week.

*Bleep* eBay GSP.

Regardless, it is nice to know that eBay GSP doesn't use insurance and they will screw you and not care one bit. No buyer protection through eBay GSP. That must be why sellers love GSP, because then they have seller protection!

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@jlincognito wrote:

Ha!

It arrived today September 8.

The tracking number said it was delivered September 2!

Delivered where?

Since your earlier post suggests that this was USPS who "delivered" the item, I'm inclined to conclude with the limited information that you've provided that this is when the item arrived at the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply

Delivered to me.

Where do you think?

Specifically it said: "Delivered to its final destination".

I would post the conversations with eBay, but that kind of language is not tolerated on these message boards lol.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@jlincognito wrote:

Delivered to me.

Where do you think?

Specifically it said: "Delivered to its final destination".

That's actually not all that specific.

As I think you've noted elsewhere, there are three legs to a GSP shipment.  The first leg is the one initiated by the seller from the seller's location to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.  The item can go by any means of the seller's choosing:  USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, you name it.

The second leg is initiated by the Global Shipping Center (or a contractor with Pitney Bowes) and in that leg the item is travelling as part of a commercial freight shipment.  You are not likely going to get detailed tracking information for that leg.  The destination for that leg is a receiving hub in Canada, often in Mississauga but not always.

The last leg of a GSP item's shipment is initiated by the logistics company in Canada that received and processed the GSP item, and that can be through Canada Post, Purolator, Canpar, or any other shipping method of its choosing.

Any one of three destinations: Kentucky, Mississauga or your home can be interpreted as "final destinations" by a shipping company's tracking software, because as far as those shipping companies are concerned, those are the "final destinations".

Without a bit more context, I can't tell if the "final destination" is actually your home.  You mentioned in your original post that you got on the horn to USPS about your item, and the only reason I can think why you might have felt it appropriate to do that was because the tracking information you received was from the first leg of the item's transit, where the seller used USPS.

For what it's worth, the first phone I purchased through the GSP had a confusing mix of tracking information as I was receiving tracking emails from the seller (automatically generated by the seller's shipping software),  the GSP and from Canada Post.  None of them gave me a full picture of the phone's transit.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

"How do you plan on purchasing items from outside of Canada with a declared value of over C$20 and have them shipped to you tax and duty-free? "

I don't.
If I'm away for an extended period, I bring the odd item home, but otherwise do just fine buying Canadian thanks.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:

"How do you plan on purchasing items from outside of Canada with a declared value of over C$20 and have them shipped to you tax and duty-free? "

I don't.
If I'm away for an extended period, I bring the odd item home, but otherwise do just fine buying Canadian thanks.

Interesting.  Most of the time when I buy Canadian I'm paying PST and/or GST, and I'm pretty sure I'm paying duty indirectly, to boot.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Using that argument, by buying Canadian, I'm indirectly supporting the economy of the manufacturer in China and thousands of Chinese workers too. At some point, we need to set reference terms here and be realistic in our debates.
Message 20 of 24
latest reply