Dirty eBay GSP

So I got screwed by eBay GSP yet again!

I ordered an item and it was shipped rather expensively at my expense ($30).

The tracking number says it was delivered, but it was NOT delivered!

I filed a case with eBay saying that I did not receive my item and they immediately closed the case and said "Sorry".

So I phoned USPS, and they said they don't know where the package is, but that it was not delivered there was an error.

And eBay GSP sent the item without any insurance.

So basically I paid $30 for eBay GSP shipping to ship something that should have cost about $10 to ship, and eBay shipped it WITHOUT insurance protection. So now I am screwed by eBay again.

Way to go eBay!

It really is time to start taking my business off of eBay and to other sites.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Dirty eBay GSP

Parameters. I'm talking about parameters.
Message 21 of 24
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:

If I'm away for an extended period, I bring the odd item home, but otherwise do just fine buying Canadian thanks.

That's the spirit!  Support our Canadian sellers!  Buy Canadian!   🙂 

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

"Interesting.  Most of the time when I buy Canadian I'm paying PST and/or GST, and I'm pretty sure I'm paying duty indirectly, to boot."

My initial post was in response to the OP's thread "Dirty GSP"
IMO specifically on eBay.

Trolling? Or Is this a spitting contest?
Wow... Maybe if I were mellowing on the downside of an acid trip I'd waste an hour nit-picking.
As a Canadian we all pay applicable taxes when required
So that's mute.

I buy coins and banknotes on eBay.
Nothing else.
1% of the sellers I buy from charge PST.
Myself and most that I deal with do not sell enough to require registering.

I avoid GSP and orders totaling $20 or more from U.S sellers using "USPS First Class Mail Intl / First Class Package Intl Service" as that has also cost me dearly with additional Canada Post fees.

That is my choice.

What don't you get?

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:

My initial post was in response to the OP's thread "Dirty GSP"
IMO specifically on eBay.

All I read was a vague complaint about the GSP and about how an item or items sent to you by mail were hit with "Canada Post fees" which I read to mean CBSA's charges for taxes and duty (if applicable) and Canada Post's $9.95 processing charge.

Nothing to do with the OP's post about the tracking information he got on a GSP shipment.

@mcrlmn wrote:
I buy coins and banknotes on eBay.
Nothing else.
1% of the sellers I buy from charge PST.
Myself and most that I deal with do not sell enough to require registering.

I avoid GSP and orders totaling $20 or more from U.S sellers using "USPS First Class Mail Intl / First Class Package Intl Service" as that has also cost me dearly with additional Canada Post fees.

Remember, though, that "buying Canadian" means more than just purchasing from sellers who aren't registered to collect provincial sales taxes, GST, HST or what have you.  Most of your non-eBay purchases are going to have those same taxes you were charged by CBSA or the GSP, whether those purchases are online or from a brick and mortar retailer.

Having said that, your experience with First Class International appears to be unusual.  Most eBayers seem to find that their purchases from the US that are mailed in this manner aren't dinged by CBSA, even ones worth several times over the tax/duty-free limit of C$20.  Perhaps coins and banknotes are on CBSA's "hit list".

Also, you shouldn't be charged PST on an eBay purchase made from a seller located in a province other than the one you live in, anyway.  But you probably already know that, being a seller yourself.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply