Do you price match with Amazon ??

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

eBay does NOT determine prices. 

Each seller is free to set whatever price (and shipping charge) is deemed appropriate.

In case of auctions, buyers determine what the price is, not the seller.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Actually on amazon I find it is the sellers that drive the price down not the buyers..

Amazon is set up so that if 20 people have the same item everytime one seller drops there price it notifies the sellers that they are no longer the cheapest which creates a price drop war so to speak ..

I see it all the time on amazon atleast twice a week I have to drop all my prices on amazon to stay competitive ..

It is good and bad .. Good for Amazon business because it constantly forces sellers to keep out or left behind but in many cases it makes buyers have to drop below a comfortable profit or choose to be left behind with little to no sales....

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problems with Amazon are their flat rate shipping costs for the books, regarding the weighs of them, light or heavy, same flat rate shipping costs.  The sellers had to pay the difference for the heavy books in the shipping costs which is not ideal on Amazon which is why I won't sell my books due to their insane flat rate shipping costs set by Amazon!

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I completly disagree with that .. I have not once had a buyer complain about shipping cost which is AMAZING because on here people complain about $2 shipping..

Amazon has it set so you just add the extra shipping cost into you buy now price which works great because buyers don't want to pay $12 for shipping on a book but they do not care about the buy now price in the same sense ..

I think amazon is 100% better for books and movies etc.. Easy to list I can list about 20 times faster on amazon ... Set shipping rates which means I never have to change anything or listen to buyers complain ...

I know books are different from movies because not many movies cost more then $2.51 sense to ship but either or it is set up to be soooooo user friendly it is an amazing place to sell OTHER THEN the competitive pricing which if ebay evcer got into that I would cry because I hate ittttttttttt... Good for buyers horrible for sellers because on ebay the harder working sellers will be the best priced on amazon it is just to easy to see the price you have to beat and you can bulk revise listing on amazon about 50 listings you can price match the lowest price in about ooooo 10 seconds

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

cents not sense LOL why after so many 20 years of typing do I still do this soooooo much ..

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

If you search each book site on the internet....  You will find a different pricing structure on  each.....

Many booksellers will price the same book differently on each site....

eBay has a different price structure as well... for books,  and different between eBay.com and eBay.ca   and sometimes in relation to other eBay sites.

Many sellers fail to do their research and compare sites...

and many times....  The lowest price is not a guaranteed sale

Some people do not buy anything priced at less than $10.

Some people choose not to buy a book listed with a stock photo

and ... There is a seller of books in Florida  that prices everything high... close to and over $100... and he sells.

Many times it is a perception of value...  price in relation to perceived "quality" of the book,  and in relation what a buyer is willing to pay.

There is something more than just price  that dictates a sale

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

For some categories on eBay there are two price ranges for items sold.

A low price range for auction sales...  and a higher price range for the fixed price sales.....  and many times the same item sells within  the lower and high price range....  same or similar item, but at two different prices.

This was observed with Blue Mountain Pottery several years ago.... over 1300 listings at that time

and... Two price ranges for sales were noted with Chalet Art Glass recently...today with over 400 items listed

The greater the number of items in a specific category... the greater the probability of seeing two price ranges  for sold items..

Although this has only been observed in two groups of items, it will most likely occur  where auctions and fixed price are used for  selling a  category of item on eBay.

It does not occur for a category such as books  because auctions are a very minor part of selling books on eBay.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

If you search each book site on the internet....  You will find a different pricing structure on  each.....

Which is easy to do.

Go to Addall.com and sort your chosen title by seller.

Amazon pricing is there, but not eBay or Bonanza.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I buy books from Amazon - recently I've been buying used books from there (you can check out what condition they are).   I buy from sellers that are "like new" - and they certainly are.  And, yes, don't forget Amazon wants to have DRONES drop it at your doorstep in a day - LOL - could be a problem with commercial flights having a book or toaster oven in their flight path!!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I regularly check out competitors prices, and adjust mine accordingly. I find eBay is usually the cheapest anyhow.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply