Editing CSV files from Turbo Lister

I've mentioned this issue in a couple of threads on the Seller Central section, but it merits its own thread...

I cannot for the life of me import an edited csv file into TL - in fact, I have never been able to in all of my years using TL.

I'm using a newish computer, Windows 10 (64 bit), brand new TL version (9.920.101.0), and latest spreadsheet programs (Excel & Open Office).

What I can do:

Export listings to a csv file and then import that csv file back into TL.  Works like a charm if I don't alter it in any fashion whatsoever.

What I can't do:

If I open that csv file with a spreadsheet program and then save it (no matter if I edited or not) as a csv file, that new csv file will not import back into TL.  I get an error every time.

What I need is SPECIFIC detailed step by step instructions on how to export the csv file from TL so that I can access it with Excel or Open Office (that should be a simple process)

Next I need VERY SPECIFIC instructions on how to save the edited csv file in my spreadsheet program, since this seems to be where the problem arises. (reread what I stated above - even unedited csv files that are saved are not accepted by my TL).

Reasons I need to do this - before relisting my unsold listings to eBay, I wish to:

1) Raise all my fixed price by x%

2) Switch selling currency - NOT listing site - just currency.  TL allows me to do it in bulk editing, but once done, those listings will not upload to eBay because it causes an error message (Error: - Currency is unchangeable when revising or relisting an item.) - pretty stupid... if I can't edit the currency type, then don't allow it to be edited!

I appreciate any help...

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

After letting this problem sit for a week or so, I gave it a fresh start and came up with a solution.

I wish to share this with others because I know others have had this problem and have probably searched for an answer.

The problem arises when the spreadsheet program saves the edited csv file.  Both Excel and Open Office add hidden headers to the file that Turbo Lister does not like. Once the data has been edited in the spreadsheet program and saved as a csv file,  I found it is best to first open the saved csv file into Notepad and then immediately save the file (basically overwriting itself).  Notepad will strip away any hidden header in the file.

Turbo Lister will now recognize the csv file and import it.

I should add that the exported file from Turbo Lister should be a Turbo Lister csv file (second option out of the three)

I was kind of hoping that eBay's TL team would chime in with a solution, but am not surprised by their no-show...

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I hope they'll address this issue with you and get to the root of it. Those instructions for converting site and currency are unofficial ones that skylarstuff came up with by trial and error - when I asked last fall, technical support would provide no official guidance in converting listings between the US and Canadian sites. However because of the upcoming policy changes in June, they might be developing something more official for TL in conjunction with the new listing migration tool.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

After letting this problem sit for a week or so, I gave it a fresh start and came up with a solution.

I wish to share this with others because I know others have had this problem and have probably searched for an answer.

The problem arises when the spreadsheet program saves the edited csv file.  Both Excel and Open Office add hidden headers to the file that Turbo Lister does not like. Once the data has been edited in the spreadsheet program and saved as a csv file,  I found it is best to first open the saved csv file into Notepad and then immediately save the file (basically overwriting itself).  Notepad will strip away any hidden header in the file.

Turbo Lister will now recognize the csv file and import it.

I should add that the exported file from Turbo Lister should be a Turbo Lister csv file (second option out of the three)

I was kind of hoping that eBay's TL team would chime in with a solution, but am not surprised by their no-show...

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Excellent troubleshooting on your part. I just forwarded it to a seller on another thread who is having a similar problem. I am using a 2002 version of Excel so maybe that's why mine does not mess things up with hidden files. I wonder if when they release the Listing Migration Tool soon that it will include an option in Turbo Lister or if we'll still have to use this unofficial workaround. (When asking for TL support in the past they have never provided this guidance; they would just say there is no way to do it.)

Message 4 of 4
latest reply