Etsy and Paypal shipping charges differ greatly!

I have noticed that when selling an identical item on Etsy and purchasing their shipping labels and when doing it through paypal, Etsy is MUCH cheaper. I enter the exact same dimension and weigh every time and consistently Etsy is much cheaper - why is this? I find it unsettling that the seller is gouged with all of these arbitrary fees and then on top of that, underhanded methods of separating you form your money through currency conversions that are always in paypals favor and never reflect any bank's rate, and now they seem to be profiting in postage inflation?

I send a box that is 30cm X 30cm X 30cm and weighs 1 Kg and paypal charges me 18$ while Etsy charges me 13$ - that isn't something to sneeze at. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Etsy and Paypal shipping charges differ greatly!

"paypal charges me 18$ while Etsy charges me 13$"

Are both amounts in the same currency?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Yes Pierre, both Cdn funds. I could understand a small discrepancy, but 5 bucks difference on something costing under $20 is odd to me.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

What shipping service option are you using? What country was it going to? Without a shipping option or country you were given with the prices, all the info you give in your post is hard to try and understand.

30x30x30 cm, 1 kg, $18 on PayPal sounds like Small Packet USA (no PayPal discount) or Tracked Packet USA (14% discount). The $13 on Etsy is meaningless without a shipping option that you were given with that price.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I too sell on Etsy...Since I use the same service on both the rates work out about the same.  I would check your etsy settings.  You are indeed probably seeing the number in US$ unless your personal settings are set to view only in CDN$ the default kicks in on the shipping program and you see the $ in US.  Also sometimes even with the setting when the Canadian shipping page is not avaliable for one reason or another it will bounce into the US$ or if you come at it from dot com.  Etsy has all sorts of issues around that shipping tool as it is not as well intigrated as the usps or on ebay dot ca.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

As I said, both were identical items, exact same shipping option, the exact same dimensions, and yes, the same address.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Could you take a moment to check both items on your PayPal account to confirm they were billed in the same currency.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@steveyboy1969 wrote:
As I said, both were identical items, exact same shipping option, the exact same dimensions, and yes, the same address.

Post the shipping options, the weight, the dimensions used for each and to from postal codes.

AS has been mentioned, it maybe the currency difference.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply