FEEDBACK FORUM STILL SAYS NEUTRAL HAS NO IMPACT

A lot of us have been down-graded because of Neutral feedback we have received and yet, when I look at the Feedback forum it still states the following:

Feedback scores and stars
Feedback ratings are used to determine each member's Feedback Score.

A positive rating adds one point to the Feedback Score.

A neutral rating has no impact on the Feedback Score.

A negative rating subtracts one point from the Feedback Score.

The higher the Feedback Score, the more positive ratings a member has received. Learn more about how scores are calculated.

Is eBay not following their own rules or are they lying to the public? Which is it?
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

tea_past_times
Community Member
They Lie. A lot.
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

ALWAYS !
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

miriam@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi gifts_of_elegance,

Neutrals don't have any impact on Feedback Scores, but they do have an impact on your Positive Feedback percentage.

So while your actual score (in your case, it's 3030 right now) would not change, neutral are now included in the calculation of your Feedback percentage (which is 99.1% in your case).

Positive Feedback percentage used to be calculated as Positive Feedback divided by Positive + Negative Feedback. It's now calculated as Positive Feedback divided by Positive + Neutral + Negative Feedback.

Hope this clarifies.

Cheers,

Miriam
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
miriam@ebay.com- GEORGE ORWELL would be proud!
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
miriam@ebay.com- So if I am to understand- NEUTRAL are like rain. However- you only get wet if care about the weather when outside. And- you stay dry when outside if you only ASK about the weather.
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Let me try this again.....miriam@ebay.com- So if I am to understand correctly- NEUTRALS are like rain. However- you only get wet if you care about the weather when outside. And- you stay dry when outside if you only ASK about the weather.
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
I am so HAPPY our POWER SELLER status will be ending shortly!

My brain is getting way to overloaded with all this nonsense!
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
Well Lina what you just said does make about as much sense as Miriam's Post.

Here's the correct answer.

Neutrals will now negatively impact your Ebay business. Ebay did not tell us this up front. It's a change they snuck in. Because they are sneaky. They will BS you about it, but there are two types of negative now. The Red one and the Grey one.
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
Both will hurt you economically. Ebay does not care about it's current sellers.
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
Ahhh the truth feels good doesn't it. Well Sorta I guess.:-(
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
tea_past_times- for what it's worth- eBay is under obligation to ask anyone here for permission to do the things that they do.
There are no 'changes they snuck in", as that would imply that they in some way have to give some sort of notice, and then follow through with it.
AGAIN- to be clear- eBay has done, and will continue to do what it pleases.

As for the BS- who the hell cares!
As you are clearly biased against them, and many of us may well be- WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?

The eBay rules will forever change- get used to it!
Just look at the posts from last year, the years before that and so.

If it's not one thing- it's something else!

Far toooooo many sellers get hung up with the details.

I am curious as to how many people really care about the negative/neutral problem, from a buyer's perspective?

To quote my younger Brother-
RESPECTING Doctors- some one had to graduate at the bottom of their class. Rest assured there will likely always be patients waiting in their waiting to see them.
Everyone wants the Doctor that graduated at the top of their class.

REAL WORLD SCENARIO- there are NON POWER SELLERS on eBay with hundreds- and some with THOUSANDS!!!! of NEGATIVE FEEDBACK- and they still have customers! In fact- some of them are likely more far more on eBay than any of us can imagine!

I can think of one POWER SELLER with a 95.9% showing- (YES- that's NINETY FIVE POINT NINE per cent) who has racked up over 187 NEGATIVES & 119 NEUTRALS (since April 2005)- and buyers still flock to them!

HERE'S the kicker- they offer ONLY ELECTRONIC DELIVERY- WITH NO ADDITIONAL S/H fees- and yet their DSR is 4.8 for SHIPPING TIME- AND 4.8 For SHIPPING & HANDLING CHARGE!

NO SHIPPING CHARGES+ AND ELECTRONIC delivery= 4.8 !!!!!

So- with a 350,000 STAR- this of the kind of NOW SOON NOT TO BE A POWER SELLER we should all be looking up to!
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Yup all it takes is a few bad buyers to leave you a neutral and your business is in jeopardy or risk of being shutdown by ebay's T&S department.
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Am I the only one that just skips lina's posts these days?

Monique

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Monique,

I'm right there with you.

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 15 of 23
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
whoscloset & momoftwingles2- enjoy the mutual conviviality while you can here.
One of you is most likely not going to be around long enough to say goodbye to me!

Bottom line here is there are too many POWER SELLERS 'naval gazing', while those sellers that care about selling, ARE selling- WITH, or WITHOUT having a POWER SELLER designation!
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Monique, Lina has her own way of expression, but her posts are usually informative or offer an opinion.

You'd be surprised but many people on highly paid positions make much less sense than Lina 😉
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
You'd be surprised but many people on highly paid positions make much less sense than Lina

I'd be willing to bet a lot of them work for ebay. LOL

Monique

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

miriam@ebay.com
Community Member
Hello all,

The neutral issue was announced a while ago - it's in this post: http://www2.ebay.com/aw/ca/200805071232082.html.

That said, I would agree that the message wasn't as effective as we wanted given how many sellers it took by surprise.

Cheers,

Miriam (aka George Orwell ;-))
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Oh, come on Miriam. Here is the TOTAL wording of that announcement (copy-n-pasted):

We will base the Positive Feedback Percentage on the past 12 months of activity (and include neutral Feedback in the calculation)

Seriously, does this one sentence convey the IMPACT that including neutrals had on some of our scores?

I went from a 99.8% feedback to 96.1% overnight because of a string of neutrals I had six months ago due to extenuating circumstances. I would have had a lot more if I hadn't communicated with a lot of those people and asked them to remove the neutral because it negatively impacted my business, and how little I knew what was coming.

"include neutral Feedback in the calculation" can mean many things, like each neutral will count as a negative for the purposes of calculation (crazy and highly unstabilizing to the score), or each neutral will have 1/10 the weight of a negative.

Both could've been done, but the WORST POSSIBLE inclusion was used.

Despite this announcement, we were not informed of the true impact, in my humble opinion.

John
Message 20 of 23
latest reply