False "VINTAGE" clothing.

I've been looking for a vintage cardigan.

Again & again ,I'm directed to garments called "VINTAGE" in posts from Hong Kong, Korea & China .

They're all modern & brand new ,not vintage at all! It's very frustrating.

And the sizes are hopelessly small for North America,even when posted as L or XL.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I haven't searched for anything vintage so haven't noticed that particular problem. You can set your search so that it shows only North American sellers....it's not the perfect solution but it helps.:-)

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

pre-ownedbrands
Community Member

I sell a lot of clothes and stay away from words such as Vintage,

Vintage is a very vague term that can mean different things to different people,

How can sellers be sure an item is vintage unless they took it from Grama's closet.

As for your concern about sizing, Measurments of S, M, L, XL have changed a lot over the years. If you are buying true Vintage I suggest you pay close attention to the sellers measurements in the description and compare them to something you own and know fits.

I hope this helps

Ps: I wish I had a Vintage Cardigan to sell you but i don't 😛

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Wow!!  Wait 'til you see my Vintage American Idol stuff.  I'm not from Asia either.  Don't sweat the small stuff.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Are you searching for Vintage Cardigan and then sorting by lowest first?

I did a search for vintage cardigan and got pages of authentic vintage cardigans.

Then I sorted for lowest first and it turned up exactly as you described........:).

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Vintage seems to be a very broad term on eBay which now includes a category for clothing from the 90s. 

The listing should mention if it is true vintage or a vintage reproduction as that is an option we have to click on when listing items. However some do not click on that option.

What you are seeing from the Far East are Vintage Style Clothing. While some may put that in their titles, most do not.

Try using a Brand Name when searching.

You should find something to your liking.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

"And the sizes are hopelessly small for North America,even when posted as L or XL.

Has anyone else noticed this?"

Yes, you do have to realize that when purchasing from China, Korea, etc. the sizes are very different, even when they state what the U.S./Euro size would be.  Haven't ordered from there in a while and even though I'm small I used to order at least a size up, depending on the look of the garment - for example if it looks body hugging on a tiny Chinese model, if you're bigger - go way bigger!!  I've been lucky.....but whenever I order from these countries, I don't spend mucho $ because I would never spend the money sending it back - more than the item is worth.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply