Family Accused Of Selling Stolen Goods For $4M On eBay

Family Accused Of Selling Stolen Goods For $4M On eBay

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/03/05/family-accused-of-selling-stolen-goods-for-4m-on-ebay/

CHICAGO (CBS) – A Northbrook couple and their adult daughter have been arrested for allegedly pulling in $4.2 million on eBay by selling off toys and other merchandise they’d stolen during a 10-year shoplifting odyssey.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Family Accused Of Selling Stolen Goods For $4M On eBay

So the question arises, does eBay have to return all the commission made because that income was made de facto from the commission of a crime, even though they did not realize it?

Photobucket
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Valid point and if I remember correctly which sometimes I do not .. Ebay will have to cough it up as it is money made by crime and if ebay kept the money it would make them an accesory .

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Which then would leave ebay having to go after the family for the money and seeing as they are going to be on the hook for 7 million at the age of 60 I do not think anyone will recoup the losses

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

When I see numbers like that, I think"camel saddle".

When we were still in university, back in the late 60s, a friend shipped a camel saddle back from a visit to Morocco to his buddies. The RCMP intercepted it and it made big news.

They claimed it contained $6million dollars worth of marijuana.

At the time, IIRC, a 'dime' was $10 for an ounce.

No way could a camel saddle contain 600,000 ounces of grass, right?

Any one seen the perps' eBay account numbers? Or are we taking the word of the cops?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Another question.

As the buyers are in possession of stolen property are they required to return their purchases to the rightful owners ?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

It does make one wonder. Personally I never believe what comes out of the mouths of government or any of it's agencies including the police who have to justify their existence and salaries.

When it comes to these people who supposedly sold so much on eBay it does seem unrealistic. For one thing what they sold were low end merchandise, not diamonds or gold. Secondly with all the security staff and cameras and other technology in retail stores these days it's hard to believe they weren't caught previously, many times.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

For one thing what they sold were low end merchandise, not diamonds or gold.

Reminds me of an old story from South Africa. 

An elderly gentleman works in a diamond mine.

At the end of each day, he arrives at the security checkpoint at the exit.

He is pushing a wheelbarrow full of sawdust.

Security sifts through the sawdust and, finding no diamonds, allows him to leave.

This goes on for several months, repeated exactly the same each day.

Finally, the head of security calls the old man to his office.

He offers the old man a deal - tell them how he is getting the diamonds out in the

wheelbarrow without being detected, and he will not be punished.

The old man answered that he was not stealing diamonds.

The security officer asks - then what are you stealing.

The old man's answer - wheelbarrows. 

So, it seems that it doesn't matter how valuable an item you steal -

you just need to steal lots of them.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

When I see numbers like that, I think "camel saddle".

When we were still in university, back in the late 60s, a friend shipped a camel saddle back from a visit to Morocco to his buddies. The RCMP intercepted it and it made big news.

They claimed it contained $6 million dollars worth of marijuana.

At the time, IIRC, a 'dime' was $10 for an ounce.

No way could a camel saddle contain 600,000 ounces of grass, right?

Any one seen the perps' eBay account numbers? Or are we taking the word of the cops?

One camel saddle valuation...

Cpl. Ford said that amount of hashish, a concentrated form of marijuana, is worth about $632 on the local market.

At trial, valuation, part 2 ...

Source: Ottawa Citizen, Jan 13, 1969, page 10

Also seized: The bag of 20,000 marijuana seeds had an estimated value of $27.5 million (if grown, successfully harvested, and sold as cigarettes).  Maximum potential value, so to speak. The defense poked holes in that rather large balloon.

On a side note: That same week IGA had listed a 50 pound bag of potatoes on sale for 99 cents (worth about $7.80 by current Ontario minimum wage standards).

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Same story but it was the border between the US and Canada and the guy was riding a bicycle. I guess he got around smuggling in different countries.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 10
latest reply