Feedback extorsion: Why is eBay not helping us?

Recently, we have received a string of negative feedbacks uncalled for. In two of those cases, the buyer blatantly made a feedback extorsion attempt, asking us for a full refund onlya few days after their international order had been shipped via regular mail and was still in transit. We reported it to eBay but got no answer. In another case, the buyer was refunded and we still got hit with a negative. And another buyer left a negative saying "does not reply to messages" which is completely false, and we have about 8 messages in our inbox proving him wrong. And yet, eBay has not helped us in any way here again.

Is there anyone at eBay who takes the time to read the seller's reports? and actually do something about it? It is quite frustrating to devote our efforts the way we do, only to see our reputation go down because of a few dishonest buyers. We pay eBay monthly fees of over $1000 and yet no one seems to care about us. Time to move on to another platform?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Feedback extorsion: Why is eBay not helping us?

"we have received a string of negative feedbacks uncalled for."

Most sellers feel that negative feedback they received is "uncalled for".

"we" in your message suggest you are a business.  If so, do not take it personally. it is only business.

I looked into the three most recent negative feedbacks you received.

- Posted July 1 (not received) item was purchased June 4 (almost four weeks earlier)

- Posted June 26 (not received) item was purchased June 9 (two and half weeks earlier)

- Posted June 17 (not received) item was purchased May 28 (three weeks earlier)

If a buyer does not receive a product within a reasonable period of time, that buyer is entitled to leave negative feedback, even if a refund was provided.  I do nor see extortion; simply buyers who may be a bit impatient or unhappy at not getting the item they purchased in good faith.

"Time to move on to another platform?"

If you feel that three negative feedbacks received from buyers who did not receive their item is a reason to move on....  that is your decision. If you pay $1,000 in fees monthly, your eBay sales exceed $10,000 a month.  You want to give that up for a few negative feedback?

eBay is a venue where sellers advertise their products, not someone to arbitrate every difference of opinion between buyers and sellers.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

international order had been shipped via regular mail 

Hi I understand your frustration, but anytime you deal with customers you will get deserving and  undeserving complaints. One thing I noticed is that you ship internationally regular mail. Your just asking for trouble with that. I know tracking is more expensive but it will save you a lot of grief knowing where you delivery is. In cases like this, Ebay will be no help to you as without a tracking number they have no way in confirming delivery and will have to side with the buyer.

There are a lot of E bayers ( especially internationally) looking for items that come without tracking. They know that they can put in a claim and get the item and their money back as well.

As far as your other neg feedback? just cant be helped. Its a part of Ebay. Try your best to please them. You cant always try to ask them to withdraw their feedback with a feedback request.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

There are a lot of E bayers ( especially internationally) looking for items that come without tracking. They know that they can put in a claim and get the item and their money back as well

There may be some that do that but it would be a very small percentage. Many sellers here ship international items without tracking and without problems.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

The only way to get feedback removed is if you phone bay and explain how a particular feedback  goes against their feedback removal guidlines.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/feedback-removal.html

As already mentioned, it is unlikely that ebay will remove feedback complaining that they didn't receive a parcel unless you can prove via online delivery confirmation that the item was received.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since Canada Post deleted insurance for small packets air to International, I had to change the strategy of which mail service to ship my items to International countries by using Tracked Packet or XpressPost with insurance and tracking number to protect myself. 

At the same time thanks to Canada Post for putting us in a spot which we are at risk if we use cheap mail service without insurance and tracking number and also for us losing many possible potential buyers from International countries due to expensive mail service.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Since Canada Post deleted insurance for small packets air to International, I had to change the strategy of which mail service to ship my items to International countries by using Tracked Packet or XpressPost with insurance and tracking number to protect myself. 

At the same time thanks to Canada Post for putting us in a spot which we are at risk if we use cheap mail service without insurance and tracking number and also for us losing many possible potential buyers from International countries due to expensive mail service.

I feel no such compulsion. I have never felt "at risk".

Photobucket
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked your listings and you really NEED to do your homework about the cost for Expedited Mail.  You listed United Kingdon Expedited $8.00, USA $5.00 and Canada $5.00.  That is IMPOSSIBLE and wrong information.

For International countries by Tracked Packet is around $47.50 and by XpressPost around $80.00  For USA by Expedited is around $15.00 to $18.00 depending on which states and for USA by Tracked Packet, one flat rate for all states for $15.50.  For Canada, depending on which city/province around $9.00 to $17.50. 

I wish we can ship them by Expedited at your listed postal rates!!

Lastly consider ship your items to USA and Canada by Expedited or Tracked Packet (to USA) and Tracked Packet to International countries.  Otherwise continue to take risk every time you ship at cheapest mail service without insurance and tracking number especially to International countries. 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mr. Elmwood good for you!!

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I checked your listings and you really NEED to do your homework about the cost for Expedited Mail.  You listed United Kingdon Expedited $8.00, USA $5.00 and Canada $5.00.  That is IMPOSSIBLE and wrong information.

For International countries by Tracked Packet is around $47.50 and by XpressPost around $80.00  For USA by Expedited is around $15.00 to $18.00 depending on which states and for USA by Tracked Packet, one flat rate for all states for $15.50.  For Canada, depending on which city/province around $9.00 to $17.50. 

I wish we can ship them by Expedited at your listed postal rates!!

Lastly consider ship your items to USA and Canada by Expedited or Tracked Packet (to USA) and Tracked Packet to International countries.  Otherwise continue to take risk every time you ship at cheapest mail service without insurance and tracking number especially to International countries. 

I have never knowingly selected Expedited. Which listing is that, for eg. I have always selected "standard international shipping".

Photobucket
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Keep in mind, folks, that sometimes the least expensive shipping available is tracked. The seller may have chosen (or been forced to use) a service that has more bells and whistles than he feels are needed.

Also, never ship overseas by Surface. Choose an Air Mail service. This may be the OP's actual problem. The unhappy customer will not get the item she paid for until two or three months have passed.

Could those who use them post the names of some third party insurers? I know several people are very happy with this service. (We use Hugh Wood International, but they have annual contracts and are probably too expensive for seller's who are not full-time businesses.)

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Elmwood, that message wasn't directed at you. He was addressing the original poster, onboardtv.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Oh! Thanks! I was in full blown panic mode. I was checking listings trying to figure out what I had done, 'cause, I am kinda, positively uncertain, I mighta used it once for a Canada only listing. We all know nothing ever goes wrong with an eBay listing.

Yeah, not like me to misinterpret something. No. Not a chance. Uh-uh, must be that other guy that looks, acts, talks, behaves like me.

Photobucket
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Then you don't sell very much, or you only have a narrow number of countries you're willing to ship to.
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

CanadaPost pricing is terrible... Simply terrible.
Message 15 of 21
latest reply

"Then you don't sell very much"

???

I do not understand the meaning of your post.  Have you checked the facts?

Easy - Click on the "View Listings" for a member, then click on the sold link (panel at left) to get a list of items sold in the last few months.

Then repeat using "View Listings" under your User ID.

Compare.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

If you have no concerns about International shipments not making it to their destination and/or fraud buyers abusing the Buyer Scamming Program, then I stand by by statement.

CanadaPost pricing makes compliance with eBay "suggestions" impossible - and we take all the risk because of that.
Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Depending on the category we sell in, that risk may be negligible.

Most people really are honest.

Problems come up when the buyer expects more than the seller can give.

Sometimes that's the buyer being a little crazy (Why isn't my item here yet! I ordered it on Christmas Eve! and it did not arrive Christmas morning!! and it is all your fault!!!)

Sometimes it is the seller choosing to use a poor service. (I sent it Surface because it cost me less. Even though you paid for the shipping. Why are you mad? It will arrive in three months or so.)

Once a seller has enough sales to do a risk analysis, it is worth checking to see what problems have arisen and consider what she can do to stop the problem.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

viridel-- What the heck are you selling anyway? this is one of the stranger listings I have seen.

Updated Listing Here!!!
Click the above link, and please update your Watch List with the new page.

Please do not order from this listing any more.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Something else I noticed in one of your listings -- #181090354336 -- the Shipping tab (and the top of the listing) states "Free Shipping", yet there is this at the bottom of the description section:

"Shipping is from Alberta, Canada; and shipping quotes will be provided upon request.

Shipping is NOT free - the eBay system simply does not provide accurate estimates for in-Canada or cross-border shipping.
I charge 100% accurate shipping - no surcharge or handling"

Does this mean you advertise as free shipping, but actually charge your buyers after the purchase?  Not a wise practise, I would think. 

Also, you may be driving buyers away with comments like the following --  this is not going to help you avoid returns or negative feedback anyway:

"Because of the uncertainty around this item, and the really low cost compared to new parts - all pieces are NO RETURN, NO REFUND, AS-IS.  I'm not out to rip anyone off, which is why I'm providing as much information as I can.  The fact is that nobody knows why the printer is doing what it is, so I'm not going to make any promises either way.  Buyer assumes ALL RISK, and in purchasing this item - IF this is the item that is causing the error - you agree not to leave Neutral or Negative feedback.  If you do not accept ALL these terms, simply do not buy."

Message 20 of 21
latest reply