Fort McMurray

Please have good thoughts for all the people in Fort McMurray.  My son is a Firefighter there and my Daughter-in-Law and adorable Granddaugter have been evacuated.  Thanks.  

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Fort McMurray

We were just watching the evacuation on TV. It is incredible how fast the fire turned towards the city.  I will say a little prayer for your family and others who are fighting the fire and for those having to leave their homes behind.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Fort McMurray

I watched news reports on TV and some personal videos. Really devastating. Anyone who thinks they're having a bad day....just think of the people at Fort McMurray. 

Photobucket
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Fort McMurray

Well said.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Fort McMurray

My niece and her family got out safely, but their house was burned to the ground.

She's been posting pictures of the interiors, taken when they were decorating their first home.

I just hope they are well insured. But Fort Mac was already into a housing slump. The population was down to 80,000.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Fort McMurray

My Firefighter son worked a 22 hour shift yesterday (without an air respirator due to a shortage), got a three hour rest and is back fighting the "Red Headed Beast".  My Granddaughter and Daughter-in-Law are now safe in Edmonton.  This is obviously very stressful. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Fort McMurray

That must be terrible for you knowing that your son is there.  I will send up some prayers for his safety and for the others there as well.

The Red Cross is accepting donations if anyone is interested in helping.

I'm glad that your son and femmefan's families were able to get out safely.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Fort McMurray

June is the month of Return

A voluntary, phased re-entry for the safe return of Fort McMurray residents will begin June 1. Progress continues with fencing damaged and unsafe areas. Electricity has been restored to 90% of the community, including outlying areas and gas service has been restored to 78% of Fort McMurray.  Re-entry should be complete by June 15, to coincide with full restoration of Northern Lights Regional Health Centre.

-..-

May 23: Horse River Wildfire update

Size: Estimated at over 2000 square miles

There are 1,217 wildland firefighters, 55 helicopters (five heavy helicopters), and 182 pieces of heavy equipment. Additional firefighters and various pieces of heavy equipment are expected to arrive over the next few days. There are firefighters from Ontario, Quebec, NB, NWT, BC, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland, Parks Canada, NS and Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre (CIFFC).

-..-
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Fort McMurray

CALGARY, ALBERTA-- May 20, 2016) - Northview Apartment Real Estate Investment Trust announced today that it will not charge rent for the months of May or June 2016 for its 645 Fort McMurray residents that have been displaced by the devastating wildfires.

Northview is one of the largest landlord in Fort McMurray

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Fort McMurray

May 27 update:

There are 20 active wildfires in Alberta, with only the Fort McMurray wildfire out of control. That wildfire has now edged into Saskatchewan.

There are 2,309 firefighters (298 from South Africa, 198 from the USA), 104 helicopters, 261 pieces of heavy equipment and 24 air tankers currently battling the fires across Alberta.

Fort McMurray has been divided into 5 zones for a phased in return (start is still planned for June 1).

-..-

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Fort McMurray

While some people are returning permanently this week, others may have to wait until September before all the toxic ash and debris is removed from their neighbourhoods. For those, temporary visits are being allowed to remove belongings.

The homes that have been determined to be unsafe for habitation include:

• 357 homes and 10 apartment complexes in Abasand.
  • 27 homes and one apartment complex in Waterways, and
  • 183 homes and one apartment complex in Beacon Hill.

-,,-

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Fort McMurray

"After going through hell, Fort McMurray went through high water over the weekend as heavy rain Saturday flooded parts of the Gregoire, downtown and Thickwood communities."

85mm (over 3 inches) of rain fell in the first 2 hours of the storm.

-..-

Message 12 of 12
latest reply