Global Shipping Program Deceitful - Warning!

pdks.ca
Community Member

I just had my first experience with ebay's deceitful new Global Shipping Program. The only fee I could see in the listing was a $15 shipping fee, which was reasonable for the item.  When an invoice was sent, the previously invisible - and mandatory - GSP kicked in and the fee spiked to $58.

This is obviously outrageous.   I've reported eBay and this program to the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC).  Perhaps if enough people complained, eBay would have to come clean with both buyers and U.S. sellers, who seem completely unaware that their ratings are being screwed by eBay's sneaky cash-grab.

Message 1 of 107
latest reply
106 REPLIES 106

Considering the low "import charge", I guess you live in AB where only 5% GST applies.

I suspect the system waits for the shipping address to confirm the amount of "import charge" (tax + service charge).

I have read hundreds of posts about GSP and do not recall a single one where there was a substantial difference between the estimate and what was charged except for auction listings where the amount of the transaction increased due to higher bidding.

Possibly "amount confirmed at checkout" is one way to cover one's rearend in case the buyer has two shipping addresses in two province.  It could be a good question to ask the staff at eBay.ca on their Wednesday "hour" (1:00-2:00pm Eastern time)

Message 101 of 107
latest reply

Try going to the item and selecting the shipping and payments page, then entering your postcode and country as the ship to location and hit 'get rates'

See how much the import charges are then, and then do the intial buy to get to the Commit to buy screen. It may then give the correct, not estimated figure as it should be able to select the tax rate for your province.

Message 102 of 107
latest reply

Seriously? You don't think i added a postal code, and don't know how to get rates? You work possibly for Ebay or Lithium? I posted photos of the shipping rates which would be blank if i didn't have a postal code in there...I can see why posting here is painful..
Message 103 of 107
latest reply

Also, right in ebay's website they say the following;

"The Request total from the seller link is not available for Global Shipping Program purchases. You will see the total, including shipping, after you've purchased the item."

So there, my point is exactly that, why not!! In a technological society there is no possible reason why they can not quote the final charge before committing to buy!!!

End of discussion!
Message 104 of 107
latest reply

Buysell, did you notice that in the second screenshot that you posted that the import charges aren't described as "estimated"?

Message 105 of 107
latest reply

Don't forget about this list of items that are restricted / excluded from this program. They are listed on ebay.com. It says the seller is supposed to get an alert while placing the ad. I find you have to watch to make sure they just didn't click through. http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html#restricted Restricted categories Items listed in a restricted category are currently not supported by the Global Shipping Program due to export limitations and restrictions identified by the global shipping provider. Restricted categories Antiques Art Coins & Paper Money excluding Publications & Supplies Collectibles > Knives, Swords & Blades Collectibles > Militaria Collectibles > Rocks, Fossils & Minerals Collectibles > Paper Collectibles > Tobacciana Collectibles > Tools, Hardware & Locks Collectibles > Vanity, Perfume & Shaving Collectibles > Vintage, Retro, Mid-Century eBay Motors (Note: Parts & Accessories are supported by the Global Shipping Program) Gift Cards & Coupons Health & Beauty > Dietary Supplements, Nutrition Health & Beauty > Fragrances Health & Beauty > Nail Care, Manicure & Pedicure Health & Beauty > Over-the-Counter Medicine Health & Beauty > Skin Care Home & Garden > Food & Beverages Home & Garden > Furniture Home & Garden > Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living Jewelry & Watches > Fine Jewelry Jewelry & Watches > Loose Diamonds & Gemstones Pottery & Glass Real Estate Specialty Services Stamps excluding Publications & Supplies Tickets Travel > Vacation Packages Wholesale & Bulk Lots Note: This is not a full list of unsupported categories. If the category you're listing in doesn't support the Global Shipping Program, you'll see an alert when you create your listing.
Message 106 of 107
latest reply

Yeah basically.. USA AND CANADA ! the main trading partners.. EBAY makes this scam up and makes people buy from china. why would anyone buy from the us or Canada when they get scammed out of tons of extra cash ? Shame eBay

@pdks.ca wrote:

I just had my first experience with ebay's deceitful new Global Shipping Program. The only fee I could see in the listing was a $15 shipping fee, which was reasonable for the item.  When an invoice was sent, the previously invisible - and mandatory - GSP kicked in and the fee spiked to $58.

This is obviously outrageous.   I've reported eBay and this program to the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC).  Perhaps if enough people complained, eBay would have to come clean with both buyers and U.S. sellers, who seem completely unaware that their ratings are being screwed by eBay's sneaky cash-grab.

.... it is disgusting.

Message 107 of 107
latest reply