Global Shipping Program a Scam!

I'm not sure WHO started this stupid Global Shipping Program on eBay, but it is so scammy! I've been on ebay.ca for over 16 years, and have never had a problem with Customs, or had to pay any Import fees. Now with adding this new program, it actually automatically and unecessary adds excessive supposed "Import" charges upon check out, which would not have otherwise applied? I will not purchase from any Seller who partakes in such a rip off system. Not to mention, if there's a problem -who actually refunds the excessive Import amount by way of refund? I just want to purchase my item and pay for the postage, -let me deal with Customs if there are any charges. I've had packages delivered at $65.00 from the U.S. and didn't have to pay any Custom/Import fees. Another way for ebay to sabatouge Sellers because I know well too many who will not buy from any Seller who partakes in this scammy program. Sellers: for your own sake, -go back to the old way! Woman Frustrated

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Global Shipping Program a Scam!

marnotom!
Community Member

Why did you purchase from the listing(s?) in the first place?  Were the import charges not stated on the listing page?

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

I for one am not happy with this Global Shipping Scam. I have bought hundreds of item's from the USA, i have paid customs maybe once or twice in the time i have been on ebay..... I too will not deal with sellers who are partaking in this program. I have noticed that the shipping charges are much higher then before as well.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Here We Go Again

It isn't very often i get the chance to mention a song title from an 80s Hair Band.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

any buyer that purchases item from sellers who use the global shipping should be aware that the item will take alot longer to be shipped if it is shipped in the first place .i am not sure if its a scam or just a money grab by pitney bowes who does the global shipping ebay should help buyers with this problem and not leave them to the sellers whims and this global shipping ripp off

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

@bigted99 wrote:

any buyer that purchases item from sellers who use the global shipping should be aware that the item will take alot longer to be shipped if it is shipped in the first place .i am not sure if its a scam or just a money grab by pitney bowes who does the global shipping ebay should help buyers with this problem and not leave them to the sellers whims and this global shipping ripp off

If you're "not sure" about how the Global Shipping Program is supposed to work, why don't you check the terms and conditions page for buyers, or the more plain-speak eBay information page?

http://pages.ebay.ca/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

I can't comment on the shipping time for a GSP item from personal experience, but those who have bought an item through it and commented on these discussion boards seem to have their items arrive in a similar timeframe as those sent from the U.S. through the mail.

I've looked up a number of GSP listings, and there are many cases where what Pitney Bowes charges for seeing items through customs and collecting taxes due is actually less than what Canada Border Services charges (C$9.95). 

The big wrinkle is that Canada Border Services doesn't always hold items and assess them for taxes due, even if they are taxable.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

I live in Canada and have avoided items that use GSP, but I did test the waters.  The item was bought for $15 and I was to pay $19 to ship.  No duty tax was applied due to selling price I assume.  I think after $20 selling price duuty would be charged, but I am not sure.

Anyway I asked the seller about this GSP system and she said she normally does not sell internationally, but ebay defaulted her site to GSP.  She herself thinks the "extra charge" to buyers is unreasonable. 

I do hope other sellers will opt out of the GSP system, if they can! 

I also wonder about combined shipping, do you save something on shipping, but the duty keeps climbing as you combine purchase value?  If so there goes any break you received with combined shipping.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

From another thread:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/shipping/globalshippingprogram/update_faqs.html

Who should use the Global Shipping Program?

The Global Shipping Program is a great solution to streamline your operations if you’re currently selling internationally, your items have an average selling price of $50 or more, and you’re shipping parcels. It’s also the perfect way to get started selling globally regardless of the average selling price of your items.

I think that is part of the problem.  Many American sellers use GSP when they should not.

Personally, I view $100 (instead of the $50 suggested by eBay) as a guideline, not a number written in stone. Each listing must be viewed and calculated individually.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@jfpj56 wrote:

Anyway I asked the seller about this GSP system and she said she normally does not sell internationally, but ebay defaulted her site to GSP.  She herself thinks the "extra charge" to buyers is unreasonable. 

I'm of the opinion that sellers that have found themselves opted into the GSP without their knowing it have probably clicked on a button or link in the new eBay.com user agreement that they think is supposed to show that they agree to it, but in fact it's a link to opt into the GSP. 

Your seller may think the "extra charge" is unreasonable, but I don't think she has an appreciation of international shipping rates.  Looking at the listing for the Garbo Link, it looks as though her domestic shipping charge for a Priority small flat-rate box is $5.25.  That $5.25 would be added to whatever the GSP is charging for shipping to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky for a total shipping charge of US$19.12.  Using that same Priority flat-rate box for a shipment of Canada would cost US$19.95, so in this case the GSP's shipping charge is actually competitive with that of USPS.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

If you take priority out of the equation then the approx cost to ship to Canada using the USPS is aroudn $8.  That works for me.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@jfpj56 wrote:

If you take priority out of the equation then the approx cost to ship to Canada using the USPS is aroudn $8.  That works for me.

Maybe.  I don't know how much those things weigh so I'll have to take your word for it.  (If you know the weight, you can go to the USPS online rate calculator and give me something other than an "approx cost".)

Keep in mind that a U.S. seller using Priority flat-rate boxes may be using them not just for the price but also for the convenience.  They may not be willing to scrounge up their own packaging materials for a First Class shipment.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Why use Priority? Standard international is economical and safe, and about 1/2 the cost. The sellers I use , mail economically. Priority Mail is not necessary.
Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@taramialee wrote:
Why use Priority? Standard international is economical and safe, and about 1/2 the cost. The sellers I use , mail economically. Priority Mail is not necessary.

"Priority" in this context is a reference to the U.S. Postal Service's "Priority Mail International" service, which is actually just air mail parcel, something that for the most part we can't get in Canada.

There's an exception to this, though, and that's with the flat-rate envelopes and small flat-rate boxes that can be shipped by "Priority," and those are just First Class International (U.S. version of international air letter or small packet) items in Priority packaging.

I'm not sure what you mean by "standard international" in this context.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

bilge21
Community Member

Wasn't a scam to me with a purchase I made recently.

Below is an example..

I recently purchased some car parts from a US seller in Florida that was using the GSP. The cost of the parts was $63.89US and shipping was $15.63US. GSP added another $12.17US for a total of $91.69US.

Out of that $12.17, I would figure around $8.31 is for the 13% HST, so that leaves 3.86 for brokerage. Of course, if PB added the purchase price and shipping charge together, the HST would be larger and the brokerage would be smaller.

Compare that $3.86 with what Canada Post would charge for brokeage ($9.95) if you lost the 50/50 CBSA lottery.

Basically, I actually saved money with the GSP and had none of the worries about if I will get nailed by CBSA/CP for taxes, duties, brokerage. Not only that, but the tracking actually DOES work and will be reaching me faster than if the seller himself sent it USPS priority mail international.

GSP worked very very well for me. While it still has some issues in certain parts of the program, one of which I raised in an earlier thread, it works well for the most part. The ones complaining about it are those that don't do thier math or are the ones that like to play the CBSA/CP lottery, so do the math before you complain. If you don't like it, find a seller that will sell outside of the GSP program.

Incidentally, the seller I bought the parts from recently opted out of the GSP. He now charges $40US for shipping via USPS priority international. If I bought from him after he opted out, it would have definitely have costed me more in shipping and perhaps brokerage and taxes from Canada Post as well as taken longer to get here with a broken tracking number system. It could also have taken even longer waiting for CBSA to release it to CP.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Update on the items I purchased above. ordered and paid September 17th, arrived today the 25th.

That was pretty quick service via the GSP.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

Thanks bilge. It's good to hear another point of view from someone who used GSP.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

I did not, and will not, buy from the Sellers who participate in the program? I haven't been on eBay in months and upon wanting to look for a few items, I noted the listing with the new additional automatic Import charges. NOT buying it! LOL!

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Glad it worked for you! I, for one am looking at much smaller items. The item price was okay, but add a large shipping fee for a small item, and then the GSP shipping charge and it's not a deal at all which is what eBay used to be about. Postal fees have doubled from when I first started buying, and now the unnecessary additional fees make it not worth while. There's no way I can opt out of the GSP through check out and deal with Customs & Duty fees on my own, -which there wouldn't be upon delivery. That's my case and point.
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@heavensentdiamond wrote:

I did not, and will not, buy from the Sellers who participate in the program? I haven't been on eBay in months and upon wanting to look for a few items, I noted the listing with the new additional automatic Import charges. NOT buying it! LOL!

That's your right, and I probably won't buy anything from a seller using the GSP in the near future, either, although it has nothing to do with paying any taxes owing on the item.

I probably won't buy anything from a seller using express shipping, be it a Canadian seller or a seller from outside the country, in the near future either.  My choice.

A buyer has to look at the total price of an item--no matter how it's shipped--and decide whether or not it makes sense to them.  I've seen a few GSP listings where the total price is actually pretty comparable to similar listings where the item is shipped by mail, and that's even taking into consideration the possibility of the mailed item going untaxed by Canada Border Services.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

.i am not sure if its a scam or just a money grab by pitney bowes who does the global shipping

It's neither. The charges are made up of Canadian sales taxes and Canadian duty as applicable and a small service charge for handling the customs brokerage.

It is not unusual for US companies to collect (and remit) foreign taxes and duties to the appropriate government.

It is not illegal for a company to be paid for doing so. in fact, every Canadian retailer is paid to collect and remit Canadian sales taxes.

The difference is that CBSA and Canada Post have been lax about charging the appropriate taxes and duty. Interestingly, CP is currently running a deficit. I wonder if CP started collecting those taxes and charging their minimum $9.95 fee for doing so, what would be the effect on that deficit?

Message 20 of 26
latest reply