Global Shipping says zero import when looking at item

I looked at an itemthe other day (it was a 2.5 yard piece of Silk Dupioni), the seller was signed up for global shipping program, the import charges showed as $0.00.  I thought great and went ahead and committed to purchase the item (it was a BIN).  When I got to the part where I had to pay - all of sudden the import charges were $7.70!  Why?  It said zero - another of this same sellers items 130945301476 is also listed with zero import duties.  What is going on.  I normally stay away from sellers who use global shipping - but I thought this one would be OK as it said zero. 

Who designed this stupid system?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Global Shipping says zero import when looking at item

Pierre,

Thanks so much for explaining this to me.  I really did not understand and now I do.  I generally stay away from listing with GSP and I guess this is what I will continue to do.

Thanks again!

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

"I generally stay away from listing with GSP"

Canadians should stay away for most transactions under $100.

For higher priced transactions - where taxes and brokerage fee usually apply - it should be looked upon on a case by case basis.  In some instances, it may be advantageous to proceed with GSP, mostly because the shipping costs (including delivery confirmation) from PB are often lower than what an individual seller in the USA would charge and buyers get the convenience of faster delivery without tax collection on reception.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

@twocraftywomen wrote:

Thanks all for your feedback.  The item that I purchased (130944540325) was for $17.50.  The shipping was listed at $18.99 with import charges of zero.  I did go ahead and purchase this item and it was a checkout that the zero import charges all of a sudden went to $7.70.  Why?  My item cost was under $20.00?  I did go ahead with the purchase as I wanted the item, and the vendor gave me a lower shipping cost that $18.99 - but I still don't understand the $7.70 - for an item that was under $20.00

Yes, the seller is told the buyer sees the import charges. No surprises.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html#protectedBUYER CHARGES.PNG

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Whereas we actually see the actual shipping charges and estimated import charges!  Smiley Tongue

Message 25 of 25
latest reply