Held Funds

I recently sold a Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet through eBay.  Payment was successful and Paypal said it was OK to ship.  Which is when I first noticed that the funds were on hold, expected release date: 26/2/2014.  So I read up on it and found out I should get my funds faster if the item gets delivered (3 days after that).  

So I shipped the next day via the method the buyer wanted (Canada post), marked the item as shipped on eBay AND Paypal and updated the tracking information.  This was 6/2/2014.  The item was successfully delivered confirmed via Canada Posts tracking and the update of the signature on 11/2/2014.  The seller also sent me a message AND left a positive feedback indicating the item was received in good condition the same day.  

So I was expecting funds to release 3 days after... nothing happened the 14th.  Actually, nothing has happened at all yet, funds are still being held.  I e-mailed Paypal a few days ago and have not received a response other than the automated one.  

This is now 8 business days after delivery was confirmed.  12 business days after the purchase and Paypal told me it was OK to ship.

Has this happened to anyone before?  Any educated guesses on when my funds will be released?  It's getting pretty frustrating.

Highly doubt I'll be using the service again.  I understand having regulations in place to protect buyers but this is stupid...

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Held Funds

If you shipped using Canada Post rather than  USPS, you did have to wait 21 days but the rules have changed slightly. You should be able to access your funds 7 days after the latest estimated delivery date. If you mailed the item within Canada with regular parcel, your listing shows an estimated delivery date of 3-11 days. If the tablet was mailed the day after purchase, today would be day 11. Technically, the wait is another 7 days so I guess it does add up to around 21 days. I would phone Paypal and give them the tracking number, ask them to check it on canadapost.ca to show that it is has been delivered. Perhaps they will make an exception. Sign into your paypal account and at the bottom of the page there is a contact us link.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/payment_hold.html#avoid

7 days after your latest estimated delivery date, if you mark the item as shipped in My eBay and an estimated delivery date can be calculated. Delivery estimates are currently supported for listings created on eBay.com when the buyer is located in the US, and for listings created on eBay.ca when the buyer is located in Canada.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Held Funds

Listing on eBay.ca do not seem to have funds released when delivery is confirmed. You apparently have to wait the full 21 days.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Held Funds

If you shipped using Canada Post rather than  USPS, you did have to wait 21 days but the rules have changed slightly. You should be able to access your funds 7 days after the latest estimated delivery date. If you mailed the item within Canada with regular parcel, your listing shows an estimated delivery date of 3-11 days. If the tablet was mailed the day after purchase, today would be day 11. Technically, the wait is another 7 days so I guess it does add up to around 21 days. I would phone Paypal and give them the tracking number, ask them to check it on canadapost.ca to show that it is has been delivered. Perhaps they will make an exception. Sign into your paypal account and at the bottom of the page there is a contact us link.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/payment_hold.html#avoid

7 days after your latest estimated delivery date, if you mark the item as shipped in My eBay and an estimated delivery date can be calculated. Delivery estimates are currently supported for listings created on eBay.com when the buyer is located in the US, and for listings created on eBay.ca when the buyer is located in Canada.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Held Funds

Well that's just ridiculous.  Makes no sense that the buyer even left positive feedback and I still have to wait around. 

Thanks for the information though.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Held Funds

You'd be amazed at how naive people are about leaving feedback.

I've recieved feedback as soon as a buyer placed to order. As soon as I left feedback (which I do when I ship). And occasionally we hear of members leaving feedback, positive or negative, for the wrong transaction.

And those are the innocent mistakes.

There are scamming sellers who attempt to persuade naive bidders to leave feedback to promote faster shipping. What are the chances that item will ever be shipped?

There are scammers who insist on feedback or the buyer will be left negative feedback. Sellers cannot leave negative feedback, and have not been able to for several years.

There are sellers who insist on positive feedback before making a refund on a bad transaction. Again, what are the chances of the refund ever happening.

Most people are honest and willing to be helpful, even those that disagree with us. But there are a few....

You're pretty much down to ritual suicide, lamby-toes.-- Hoban Washburne

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Held Funds

I will never deal with paypal again I sold a item because I needed money to buy a prescription for my kid times are hard they don't give a **bleep**  been two weeks now. now ebay is sending invoices for there cut of the sale how the hell can you pay them if there holding your funds I bet they are getting there weekly pay checks I am pretty sure that policy is against the law this is between you and the customer if there happy your happy there is no reason to hold your money so now this lady is walking around with my item on her wrist while I am sitting here broke

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Held Funds

Nobody reads the contract eBay sets up when you agree to use them as a venue. And nobody reads the contract with Paypal when you agree to use them to mediate payment.

The 21 Day Hold is a Buyer Protection Policy. It affects new sellers, sellers in highvalue/high fraud categories, and sellers with violations. Some long time sellers have been moved back to the Hold status because they stopped selling for a while or they moved into a new category, especially a high value/high fraud one, or if they violate some policy.

The customer's payment is partly available to the seller during the Hold. Certainly you can print a Paypal shipping label from the Held balance. It is possible, but less likely that you can pay your eBay fees from it too.

I wonder if the new advertising campaign that is encouraging sellers to use eBay subsidiary Kijiji will mean that we can now suggest that selling locally for cash on pickup through KJJ may be a better way of turning unwanted goods into fast cash?

Awaiting a pinkslap....

Message 7 of 7
latest reply