Help with business names

chappyk
Community Member

Hi eBay friends.  Not necessarily an eBay question but thinking of potential e commerce business names for something outside of my eBay store.  A company that will be ( like most others) selling clothing,housewares, and tech. By tech, I mean only tablets, smart watches Please tell me what your thoughts are on these two names:

NBW.com (North by West)

Tillsinbergs.com ( not the correct spelling of the town but my Dad grew up there)

My problem is that I'm not sure either of these names sounds like a "general merchandise" company or made specifically for just clothing?

thanks guys....enjoy great sales with your eBay stores this week!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Help with business names

@chappyk wrote:

Hi eBay friends.  Not necessarily an eBay question but thinking of potential e commerce business names for something outside of my eBay store.  A company that will be ( like most others) selling clothing,housewares, and tech. By tech, I mean only tablets, smart watches Please tell me what your thoughts are on these two names:

NBW.com (North by West)

Tillsinbergs.com ( not the correct spelling of the town but my Dad grew up there)

My problem is that I'm not sure either of these names sounds like a "general merchandise" company or made specifically for just clothing?

NBW.ca is already being used by a body product company and NBW was a Christian record label.

Tillsinbergs.com is currently unique. To me implies a small time general store...

But is also an easy name to misspell.

-..-

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Help with business names

Tillsonburg.ca already exists:

http://www.tillsonburg.ca/en/index.aspx

Personally I find it easier (and more versatile) to use my own name!

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Help with business names

@pierrelebel wrote:
... Personally I find it easier (and more versatile) to use my own name!

That only works when your name is somewhat uncommon or you're the first to grab... 8-)

Mine was already taken 12 years ago on eBay when I went to make my choice -- but was still available on the A-River.

Side story: Had an uncle who started getting a WW2 army pension deposited to his bank account, and considering he never qualified for the army, a bit of surprise. Turned out that a person with matching first, middle and last name also used the same bank branch. I met the duplicate twice: at my aunt's, then my uncle's funerals -- they'd ended up good friends for almost 2 decades.

But definitely would work for some: I have a friend, who, if you google her first+last name, has every google search result show a direct hit. Something that still impresses me.

-..-

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Help with business names

When I google my name I get three pages of information about a very popular romance writer.

I first heard of her when I walked into the bookstore at St.Laurent Centre to be confronted by a wall of her latest epic.

I had a moment wondering if I had amnesia or some form of second life.

Tillsonbergs.com has a nice ring, but spelling is a problem (double "L", "e" /"u") .

I agree that some form of your personal name is good (johnsmith.com/ johns.com/ smiths.com) Those names with numbers (johnsmith123)  also look cheap and sorta scammy, so if your personal name is fairly common that's out.

I suspect 'chappy' or 'chappys' is long gone as a dotcom name. Yep-- apparently they sell fissionable materials!

Since you would be running a department store how about  'smithathome.com'?

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Help with business names

Sometimes not easy coming up with something original,there are some really good names that have been around for many years that are simple like who hasnt heard of hudson bay or the t.eaton company,my sugestion would be to sit down over a case of nice cold budweiser or whatever your heart desires and get a couple buddies to throw some ideas around ,you just might nail something you realy like just my thoughts

Message 6 of 6
latest reply