Insuring parcel to Romania

fernsevern
Community Member

It seems shipsurance does not insure to Romania. Is there a service that does?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Try these guys.  I didn't check to see if they do Romania but they insure some countries that shipsurance does not.

http://www.u-pic.com

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Romania is excluded on the U-Pic site.

Check here for list at the bottom of page (not middle).

http://delta.u-pic.com/FAQ.aspx

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

You mean "included."

(Was that a typo?)

U-Pic insures Russia and so I assumed Romania as well when I posted and it's in the list of countries they will insure as I thought it would be.

They used to be a little more expensive than shipsurance but maybe not any longer since the shipsurance price increase.

Also, they do not take paypal.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Romania is excluded for one time purchases of U-Pic insurance.  See the list at the bottom of the FAQ page with this title.

What countries are covered when purchasing directly from the U-PIC website?

Romania is covered for sellers with a "volume policy"

This list of excluded countries is specifically for those who hold volume policies with U-PIC or any of it’s vendors.

Same for Russia. One time purchase is not covered.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

My mistake. I read the bottom list as an exclusion list and it is a list of covered countries.

My apologies for the misinformation.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Insurance is a waste of money vast majority of the time. I have never collected and probably never will. Better to take $1, from every sale, and put it in the self-insurance jar.

Because of buyers who lie, and are good at it, I "think" I have reliably lost $100 worth of widgets in the last year. That works out to 10 cents per sale in my insurance jar.

The other way I look at it? I will make it back in a day. Lost parcels are a part of doing business. Build it into yer costs.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

I've insured one-time shipments to Russia with them.

I called them to get some guidance the first time I used them because I was also insuring with another company as well and wanted to do everything correctly...... :).

They have no problem with it.

Maybe you should read it again.

I don't know what you're seeing but what I see ia:

""""U-PIC offers coverage on single shipments to:

United State & Canada as well as these International countries:APO/FPO/DPOArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBangladeshBarbadosBelgiumBermudaChileChinaCosta RicaCyprusCzech RepublicDenmarkDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEireEnglandEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGhanaGreat BritainGreenlandGuatemalaGuyanaHollandHong KongHungaryIcelandIndiaIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaJapanJordanLuxembourgMauritiusMexicoMoroccoNamibiaNetherlandsNew ZealandNorwayPolandPortugalRomaniaRussiaSamoaScotlandSingaporeSlovakiaSouth KoreaSpainSri LankaSwedenSwitzerlandTaiwanTrinidad and TobagoTurkeyUkraineUnited KingdomVenezuelaWales""""

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Insurance is a waste of money vast majority of the time. 

I couldn't agree with you more, and yet I keep doing it.

I'm aware that I'm paying for a good night's sleep and nothing more.

........ and wouldn't it figure:  When I passed on insuring a shipment I normal would have insured I got nailed.

That doesn't help.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Here, ya, I know, ya like paying money to sleep. I have kinda done the same. I paid the ex to go away and I sleep better.

Do whatever ya like to do, your business and you do not complain about it.

Fern? What kind of money we be talking about?

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

My mistake. I read the bottom list as an exclusion list and it is a list of covered countries.

My apologies for the misinformation.

Not a problem.

The company seems OK..............

But maybe not as out there as shipsuarnce, but also "CPO" friendly which a lot of Third Party Insurance companies are not.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Fern? What kind of money we be talking about?

I think the cost is about $1.50/$100.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

No, not what I meant. What did the widget sell for. Gently banging my head against the wall.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

fernsevern
Community Member

My average sale about $20. This is $240 multiple item sale (stamps) going to a newly registered 0 feedback buyer. I ship worldwide and self insure but this is enough that I'd feel better insuring it if possible.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Here, ya, I know, ya like paying money to sleep. I have kinda done the same. I paid the ex to go away and I sleep better.

lol Sometimes that extra money spent is well worth it.

My average sale about $20. This is $240 multiple item sale (stamps) going to a newly registered 0 feedback buyer. I ship worldwide and self insure but this is enough that I'd feel better insuring it if possible.

I would be a bit uncomfortable about that as well.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

fernsevern
Community Member

Hmmm...complications. I clicked through the process and it seems $240 insurance is $5.85 to Romania.

But to make a claim you need "Signed and dated statement from your Consignee (Buyer)." something I may not be able to get.

Also they pay "Invoice Value" which I think means what I pay my supplier but my material cannot be ordered from a supplier that way. I purchase a large collection and break it up. Parts are sold and parts never sold. I don't have an invoice value. 

Also they want a carrier transfer form or L.D.I. number to claim ...what is that?

Has anyone actually ever made a claim with them?

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

I just found some reviews:

"I used U-Pic to insure all my packages that are $50 or more that I ship through eBay and online sales. They are about half the price of USPS Insurance, but the thing you need to keep in mind is that they are a broker. Which means they are just a middle man who farms your policies out to other companies. Buying the protection was really easy, but the horrible part came when I had to file a claim. After a year of no problems I had 2 claims within the span of a month. The first was a damaged vintage piece of video electronics that was water damaged by the carrier. A carrier liked UPS would pay out the full claim and opt to reclaim the damaged item. U-PIC wanted not only a signed affidavit from the buyer (an inconvenience enough that they already received a damaged item) but also a repair estimate and the option of simply paying the lesser amount. The other claim was a package sent that got lost in limbo. The delivery tracking shows it go to the buyers local post office but then no activity for a month. That claim was filed a week ago and no activity on U-PIC's part even though the buyer was courteous enough to fax all the documentation from his local PostMaster and wait almost a month for it to arrive and be reimbursed. U-PIC was so slow on the claim I had to pay it out of my pocket and hope and wait for reimbursement for the loss. My advice is to stay away from these guys. While it might seem cheap in the beginning, the claims process takes forever, and the company does not have good customer service."

"A couple weeks ago, I filed two insurance claims with U-PIC for lost international parcels totaling $154 via Endicia. However, today U-PIC issued a check cutting the value of my claim down to 37% of the claim amount. I paid for the insurance to adequately cover the full amount of my lost parcel claim, and I submitted the requested 6 pages of paperwork necessary to process the claims. Previous claims with U-PIC I have made were not downgraded like this. When I called to speak to a customer service representative about the error in the claim amount issued to me, she was rude and dismissive, and claimed her supervisor was unavailable when I asked to speak to him. She declared that no matter how much insurance I purchased, and no matter how much insurance I purchase to cover my packages, they would only reimburse the amount they perceived the value of the original shipment to be, not including any re-shipment costs, costs of production for replacement items, or insurance costs. I feel my claim, and the insurance I paid for, wasn't upheld by U-PIC. They should have issued a check for the full claim amount on the lost package, because that is what I paid for. In the past they have, which shows their claims department is inconsistent and unreliable. Their customer service also lacks. I did not receive the service I felt I paid for, and I feel U-PIC misrepresents their services."

Previously I would have used small packet air and at least had $100 coverage, It seems the new tracked packet service does not cover Romania.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

fernsevern
Community Member

Thanks for the input.If anyone knows of other options please let me know.

I don't think there is any reasonably priced way to get a tracking number to Romania so will likely ship by registered letter just hoping that having to sign for it will discourage fraud.

It sure seems that U-Pic requires a lot of jumping through hoops to make a claim.

We were all at 0 once and the buyer may be fine but it does make me nervous.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

You can google any Third Party Insurance (TPI) provider and find the same kinds of complaints and posts.

They all state that they require a signed statement, but when I asked two companies (shipsurance and U-pic) about that requirement both said they would waive that requirement in some situations.

What are your choices?

1 .  Does CPO offer a method with insurance to Romania any longer?  If so the cost is           probably prohibitive but it would be option to some countries.

2.  Ship with no insurance.

3.  Use a TPI provider.

4.  Block all countries that you feel are too high risk.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

If it is over $250 with postage, you will also require signature confirmation. Also, both private insurance companies will require an affidavit from the buyer as part of the claim. If buyer does not supply it, you may be SOL. It will be up to the insurance company to decide if they will waive it. Also, the wait time is 45 days for the insurance so you will have to reimburse the buyer prior to the claim and hope you get reimbursed. A lot of risk and what if's and maybes.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply