Inventory & dropped listings.

Not sure what is, or has happened, so thought I would ask the enlightened bunch here on the boards that ALWAYS have the answers!

For various reasons I decided I should do an inventory.  I have found probably 2 dozen items on my shelves/racks that I assumed were in my store on line inventory, and they were not.

Although I admit I way have allowed some unsold items to expire from the unsold file when I should have relished, I can not possibly expect that 24 or more of the inventory went the same way.  I usually always lists GTC, so I am not sure how this can have happened.

Can anybody enlighten me as to how this items could have been dropped, or why?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

ebay has senior moments.  It's not uncommon to find items that have disappeared from your listings.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Is there a way to find these items? Besides by guess and by golly...And when they disappear, do they go to the unsold, or just go?!

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

As a bookseller, I am comfortable having titles in stock for many months, even years.

So I see that "no sales in 16 months" on a regular basis.

When I have a title that I am tweaking because of this notice, I usually pull all the titles by that author at the same time. Sometimes I pull them for donation (bestsellers, aren't) and sometimes the shipping or item specifics are out of date.

I do the same when a title sells, checking the status of other books by the author.

It's been my observation that nearly a third of the books in my book porch, which don't get shelved there until they are listed, are not in fact actively listed when I pull them for tweaking.

I have about 1500 titles active just now, but there are nearly 3000 books on the porch.

Fortunately, I keep a file of all the descriptions on my desktop, but I spend a lot of time scanning books that I thought were on offer.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Wow, so my measly 20 or so items that got "dropped"is a drop in the bucket.  It still makes me nervous, but |I guess it is better that way than the opposite, on line but not on the shelf!!

Thanx for taking the time to answer!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply