July 24th Weekly Board Hour

Bonjour fellow Canadians!

Bryan & I will be available for the next hour to answer your questions - fire away!

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Good afternoon.

Many of the questions asked a month ago about how eBay's Global Shipping Program (GSP) affects Canadian buyers have not been answered.

In the meantime, I noticed that eBay.com is having an hour on the subject:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-July-24-2013/m-p/16637241#U16

Since you guys have made it clear that you do not have answers to our Canadian questions and depend on staff in San Jose to answer your relayed inquiries, would it not make sense to set up a similar one hour "questions and answers" period on eBay.ca for Canadian buyers assuming you can get (American) staff qualified to answer questions of interest to Canadian buyers on the spot and not depend on having to go to San Jose again (or Pitney Bowes) to get answers.

If you do, please give Canadians plenty of advance notice as they do on eBay.com.

Thank you.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Bulk Edit using the Find and Replace option for the description. 

My experience using the Find and Replace seems to indicate that it is an HTML editor.

A simple Find and Replace of a word will work or a shorter selection where there is no HTML "hidden" in the text selected will work.

I have seen posts in the eBay.com forums occasionally saying that the Find and Replace does not work. I have replied that it is the hidden HTML causing the problem with not changing the description. This has helped some sellers who know a little HTML. But how many other sellers simple give up without asking in the forums because the Find and Replace works only sometimes and not all of the time because of hidden HTML?

First, please confirm that to use Find and Replace, one must take into account the hidden HTML (other than simple words or short group of words that have no HTML in the selection to change).

If it is indeed an HTML editor, then please have the Description Find and Replace add a note that it is an HTML editor. It currently has a note saying "Note: To remove words from your description, search for the words and leave the Replace with field blank." that could be expanded with the need to take into account that there might be hidden HTML.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

eBay seems to have changed the way promotions are shown to sellers.  The promo is shown in the Listing Promotions section in My eBay before the promo starts. In the past, the promo was only shown after one listing was made that qualified for the promo.

Will this new method always inform a seller when they are invited?  I have been invited in the past and did not receive an eBay message or an email sometimes or they are late and arrive when the promo is started for a few hours.  In the past, someone gets the promo faster by eBay message or email and posts in the forums when there is a promo and I have to test list to see if I qualify.

Any information on how promos will be handled now?

Also, the new format shows a Status column on the right with Active. What is the purpose of that column? Will it change if the promo is available to a seller but not active because the start time is not reached?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Bulk Edit using the Find and Replace option for the description. 

My experience using the Find and Replace seems to indicate that it is an HTML editor.

A simple Find and Replace of a word will work or a shorter selection where there is no HTML "hidden" in the text selected will work.

I have seen posts in the eBay.com forums occasionally saying that the Find and Replace does not work. I have replied that it is the hidden HTML causing the problem with not changing the description. This has helped some sellers who know a little HTML. But how many other sellers simple give up without asking in the forums because the Find and Replace works only sometimes and not all of the time because of hidden HTML?

First, please confirm that to use Find and Replace, one must take into account the hidden HTML (other than simple words or short group of words that have no HTML in the selection to change).

If it is indeed an HTML editor, then please have the Description Find and Replace add a note that it is an HTML editor. It currently has a note saying "Note: To remove words from your description, search for the words and leave the Replace with field blank." that could be expanded with the need to take into account that there might be hidden HTML.

Hi pocomocomputing,

I'm not too familiar with the hidden HTML when editing items in bulk. I'll have to find an answer on this for you & forward your suggestion, if necessary.

Thanks,

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

eBay seems to have changed the way promotions are shown to sellers.  The promo is shown in the Listing Promotions section in My eBay before the promo starts. In the past, the promo was only shown after one listing was made that qualified for the promo.

Will this new method always inform a seller when they are invited?  I have been invited in the past and did not receive an eBay message or an email sometimes or they are late and arrive when the promo is started for a few hours.  In the past, someone gets the promo faster by eBay message or email and posts in the forums when there is a promo and I have to test list to see if I qualify.

Any information on how promos will be handled now?

Also, the new format shows a Status column on the right with Active. What is the purpose of that column? Will it change if the promo is available to a seller but not active because the start time is not reached?

Hi again pocomocomputing,

In order qualify for Promotions, Sellers must have received an email and/or a message in their My eBay, the latter of which refers to this indicator in My eBay. Promotions on eBay.ca, unless otherwise specified, will have qualified sellers receive the email and the aforementioned My eBay counter. The Active column would refer to wether the promotion is still current or exhausted.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

how can you block the item description when buyers leave feedback. I am looking for it to say private or have the dash through it like many other sellers... thank you

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@666bigjig666 wrote:

how can you block the item description when buyers leave feedback. I am looking for it to say private or have the dash through it like many other sellers... thank you

Hi 666bigjig666,

Items would need to be listed as a Private Listing in order for it to appear as you described.

Thanks,

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

See you guys next week!

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 9 of 9