Justins refugee headache

valve37
Community Member

Will Canada have 25000 before end of the year. Better be cautious.

Germany imposes surprise curbs on Syrian refugees

Angela Merkel has performed an abrupt U-turn on her open-door policy towards people fleeing Syria’s civil war, with Berlin announcing that the hundreds of thousands of Syrians entering Germany would not be granted asylum or refugee status.

Syrians would still be allowed to enter Germany, but only for one year and with “subsidiary protection” which limits their rights as refugees. Family members would be barred from joining them.

Related: Germany receives nearly half of all Syrian asylum applicants

Germany, along with Sweden and Austria, has been the most open to taking in newcomers over the last six months of the growing refugee crisis, with the numbers entering Germany dwarfing those arriving anywhere else.

However, the interior minister, Thomas de Maiziere, announced that Berlin was starting to fall into line with governments elsewhere in the European Union, who were either erecting barriers to the newcomers or acting as transit countries and limiting their own intake of refugees.

“In this situation other countries are only guaranteeing a limited stay,” De Maiziere said. “We’ll now do the same with Syrians in the future. We’re telling them ‘you will get protection, but only so-called subsidiary protection that is limited to a period and without any family unification.’”

The major policy shift followed a crisis meeting of Merkel’s cabinet and coalition partners on Thursday. The chancellor won global plaudits in August when she suspended EU immigration rules to declare that any Syrians entering Germany would gain refugee status, though this stirred consternation among EU partners who were not forewarned of the move.

Thursday’s meeting decided against setting up “transit zones” for the processing of refugees on Germany’s borders with Austria, but agreed on prompt deportation of people whose asylum claims had failed.

Until now Syrians, Iraqis and Eritreans entering Germany have been virtually guaranteed full refugee status, meaning the right to stay for at least three years, entitlement for family members to join them, and generous welfare benefits.

Almost 40,000 Syrians were granted refugee status in Germany in August, according to the Berlin office responsible for the programme, with only 53 being given “subsidiary” status. That now appears to have ended abruptly.

An interior ministry spokesman told the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung: “The Federal Office for Migration and Refugees is instructed henceforth to grant Syrian civil war refugees only subsidiary protection.”

De Maiziere described the new regime as “a win for security and order for Germany”.

Related: Winter is coming: the new crisis for refugees in Europe

But the suddenness of the move by the country that has been pivotal in the EU’s biggest ever immigration crisis will ripple across the region with unknown consequences, particularly in the transit countries of the Balkans and central Europe through which hundreds of thousands have been trekking towards Germany.

The German curbs will encourage these countries to establish barriers of their own to the refugee wave. Merkel is also pressing countries such as Croatia, Slovenia, and Serbia to establish “reception centres” or camps where refugees can be processed and screened before they reach Germany. The countries are resisting because no one knows what to do with those who are screened and do not pass muster for passage to Germany.

Berlin is the most powerful advocate of sharing the refugee burden across the EU, but has also frustrated and angered several countries with a series of unilateral decisions that have had major knock-on effects across the union.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/germany-imposes-surprise-curbs-on-syrian-refugees/ar-CC2Bcm

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 1 of 137
latest reply
136 REPLIES 136

Justins refugee headache

Government aims to bring 10,000 refugees by Dec. 31, the remainder by March 2016

Message 41 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

And ramping up to 45000 after that.

Message 42 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

The Liberals should get on with governing the country - cause god knows we need it, instead they are putting all their efforts on this Syrian migration and just plain ignoring the rest of us. This is a giant waste of time and money - fine, get it done but get on with the rest of it as well - we have a lot more trouble than that.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 43 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

Hunger in Canada and what the Liberals said they would do about it.

https://www.foodbankscanada.ca/Blog/October-2015/A-Liberal-Majority-Government-–-What-Does-This-Mea....

https://www.foodbankscanada.ca/Blog/November-2015.aspx

Lets hope they don't give away the farm at the Paris climate talks.

Message 44 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

What can YOU do for your country.......and your fellow human beings? We want the government to do this and do that. Time to take the reins and be part of help and change, instead of standing on the sidelines complaining. 

Photobucket
Message 45 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

France's National Front leader calls Canada's refugee plan 'madness'

Marine Le Pen, the controversial leader of France's far-right National Front, is scoffing at Canada's plan to welcome 25,000 Syrian refugees with open arms, calling it "madness."

"There. I've said it. Madness," she said in an interview with the fifth estate. "There are other ways to do it," she went on, adding that the "danger is real — false passports.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/frances-national-front-leader-calls-canadas-refugee-plan-madnes...

Airs on 5th Estate tonight called "Aftermath: How Paris Changed the World."

Message 46 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

Photobucket
Message 47 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

The National Front is a socially conservative, and nationalist, right-wing to far-right political party in France.

Its major policies include economic protectionism, a zero tolerance approach to law and order issues, and anti-immigration. A eurosceptic party, the FN has opposed the European Union since its creation in 1993.

Message 48 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

Isn't lePen in jail for hate speech?

Or has he served his time already?

Message 49 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

Interesting life.

Best line:  "His marriage (29 June 1960 – 18 March 1987) to Pierrette Lalanne (fr) resulted in three daughters; these daughters have given him nine granddaughters. The break-up of the marriage was somewhat dramatic, with his ex-wife posing nude in the French edition of Playboy to ridicule him"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Marie_Le_Pen

Message 50 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

gauge33
Community Member

How ironic, tens of thousands coming and the Regalados, a London family are being deported today.

After months of fighting to change a government decision, a Colombian family living in London will be forced to leave the country Wednesday.

The Regalado family has lived in Canada since fleeing Colombia in 2013, saying they feared for their lives after being approached by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia.

Their attempts to gain refugee status were denied on Friday, leaving the family of four devastated.

The Regalado children, eight-year-old Juan, and 13-year-old Laura, will be forced to leave their studies mid-way through the school year at St. Paul Catholic Elementary School. According to Judy Coulter, the school’s principal, she and the mother, Johanna, tried to explain to the children what was happening.

“When Johanna came in with Juan we sat down and explained it to him, we are talking about it being an adventure,” Coulter said.

Juan’s Grade 4 class held a going away party for their classmate on Monday to make the transition easier.

“It’s going to be more difficult for her (Laura) simply because she is more aware of what the dangers are when they go home,” Coulter said.

The family fled Colombia in 2013 after the father, Edgar Regalado, was approached by a guerrilla organization known as the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC). Edgar alleges that FARC attempted to recruit him into organized crime.

“When Edgar was in Bogota, Colombia, where they lived, he worked in the finance sector and he was approached by an organized guerrilla organization called FARC and they wanted him to steal money from the bank and he refused,” Coulter said.

“So their lives were threatened, they went into hiding, and they received death threats while they were in hiding, and that is why they came to Canada.”

Earlier this year the family received a deportation order after being denied refugee status. When the community caught wind, there was a tremendous outpouring of support.

According to Coulter, dozens of anonymous donors came forward and donated over $5,000 to fund legal aid for the family to fight the order. The remainder of the fund will be used to help the family relocate back to Colombia.

The Regalados must report to Pearson International Airport Wednesday for a flight bound for Bogota. They will have to stay in Colombia for a year before they can apply under a different immigration status to return to Canada.

London West MP Kate Young has said she will pursue ‘alternate avenues’ for the family to legally immigrate to Canada once they’ve returned to Colombia.

980 news

Message 51 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

Their claim for "refugee" status was rejected under the Harper government.

Nobody expects the new government to review and correct every bad decision made by the previous government.

Message 52 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

Nobody expects the new government to review and correct every bad decision made by the previous government

Seems to me it was and still is not a bad decision or else the Liberals would now reverse it.

Message 53 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

@gauge33 wrote:

France's National Front leader calls Canada's refugee plan 'madness'

Marine Le Pen, the controversial leader of France's far-right National Front, is scoffing at Canada's plan to welcome 25,000 Syrian refugees with open arms, calling it "madness."

"There. I've said it. Madness," she said in an interview with the fifth estate. "There are other ways to do it," she went on, adding that the "danger is real — false passports.

I'm sorry, but this is no surprise and makes no point.  Far from being a voice of reason on the subject, LePen is about as close to a flaming Nazi as you'll get these days.  It's analogous to saying Hitler would have scoffed at countries outside Germany accepting Jews and called it "madness".  Umm, well...

Whoops, 'femmefan', what's that rule again you quoted some time ago about discussions and Hitler?  The name of it has slipped my memory, but I guess I just proved it.  Woman Very Happy

Message 54 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

Let's do the math, 10,000 by end of month.

Currently 163

Assuming 3 planes per day of 165 each starting tomorrow, 20 days left = 9,900+163 = 10,063

However I heard of only 1 plane tomorrow so 10063 - 330 = 9733

Three planes per day ongoing looks rather ambitious.

Have not,heard of any cruise ships taking part.

What do you think, can it be accomplished and lived up to the revised promise of 10,000?  

Message 55 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

"revised promise of 10,000"

Why do you keep using the word "promise"?

The goal or expectation is to get 10,000 this year.  Possibly it may be January 10th or 15th by the time we get 10,000 landed here. 

As requested by the Conservatives, security measures do take time.  Better safe than sorry, would you not agree?

Message 56 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

Call it a goal or expectation if you like, maybe mission impossible is realistic.

Message 57 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

"maybe mission impossible is realistic."

I think most Canadians are aware that the goal of 10,000 new refugees by December 31st will most likely not be reached.  It may be sometimes in January or even February before we get there.  And much later than expected in 2016 to reach the goal of 26,000.

But, quite frankly, deadline are not that important.  What is important is that the newly elected government and civil service is doing something to speed up the process, and that was a major problem with the previous government who never even tried.

Message 58 of 137
latest reply

Justins refugee headache

Justins refugee headache

More plane loads? Don't see any announcement.

Perhaps 1 on each of the CF18s when they return home. Smiley Wink  

Message 60 of 137
latest reply