Least expensive tracking method from Quebec

🙂

Hi

i want to sell jewelry so I definitely want to deliver with a tracking number. I went to the post office and it appears that the tracked package is the least expensive at around 16.00$ . I find that so high. Is there another  way to get a tracking number for less? I can't understand how other Canadian shippers offer a $12:trade livery with a tracked number. Any suggestions.

thanks

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

oskye
Community Member

Deadly, isn't it?  😞

That really IS the best rate.  Only things with a lower cost are Small Packet and Light Packet - neither of which are tracked. 

If other people are charging less, it may mean they haven't yet realised the rates recently went up.  Or they may be choosing to absorb the cost to make the sale.  Most likely they are charging more for the item to cover it and make the shipping price look lower (since I believe eBay takes their percentage from both the selling cost and the shipping).

You could always offer to ship without tracking but state that the buyer assumes the risk - you do not cover it if an item is not delivered.  However, I don't know how well such a stated policy holds up if the buyer opens a case against you if the item does not arrive (or, worse, if the item DOES arrive and they decide to see if they can get it for nothing because you can't prove it got there!).

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Actually you don't want tracking. 

You want insurance against loss or damage in shipping.

There are several companies that offer insurance on mailed packages. Many eBay sellers use shipinsurance. If your sales are occasional, their service covers "one-off" shipments.

I use Hugh Wood International. They cover collectibles for both collectors and dealers. They are the insurers for the American Philatelic Society and have offices in Toronto. However, they only do annual contracts. 

In any case, ask what the terms are for relatively inexpensive jewelry (I notice  all your listings are under $100) and what countries they will and will not insure for.

Shipinsurance in particular has a list of countries they will not insure packages too. It is well worth paying attention to their no-go list. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You could always offer to ship without tracking but state that the buyer assumes the risk - you do not cover it if an item is not delivered.  

What happens is, you lose the case. Paypal will find in favour of the buyer if the seller cannot show DELIVERY of the item. Signature will be required if the total payment is over $250 including postage.

The idea is to avoid the PP dispute to begin with. Part of this is communication. Part is setting your policies and using your Seller Preferences to block unwanted and sketchey bidders. Part is being willing to refund a customer, and covering your assets by insuring yourself against such losses. 

It doesn't matter if the dispute starts because the buyer really didn't get his item or if the buyer is a fraudster. The point is that YOU don't lose money on the deal. 

Most disputes start from an unhappy, honest customer who runs into a stubborn, suspicious seller. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply