Mens Trousers Sizes

Why are search options for men's trousers no longer showing a waist size ?

Instead they are showing a "Bottom Size"  ?

Is this some new Yuppie word for waist size?

I wouldn't think so seeing as the waist is at the top of the trousers not the bottom.

Can some kind soul please  tell me how to search by waist size?

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Pants-/57989/i.html?

bottoms.jpg

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Mens Trousers Sizes

What the heck has your BUM size to do with a WAIST??!!  LOL

For the past 20 years or so, fashionable pants are belted below the waist. I think the first time I noticed this was when Maria Carey took scissors to what are now called "mom jeans", which had a waistband at the natural waist, and cut them down to a three inch rise.

Men's pants followed suit.

So the hip measurement becomes more important than the actual waist.

And let's not even think about those "pants on the floor" gangbangers.

By the way, women's clothes are often divided into "tops" and "bottoms", which don't refer to the body but to where the item is worn.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Mens Trousers Sizes

marnotom!
Community Member

Are you sure?

Sizes.jpg

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Mens Trousers Sizes

Yes I am sure.

It says

Bottom Sizes

It doesn't give a waist size option.

yup.jpg

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Mens Trousers Sizes

In the screen shot you posted, right below "bottoms size" I see waist sizes in inches.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Mens Trousers Sizes

@marnotom! wrote:

In the screen shot you posted, right below "bottoms size" I see waist sizes in inches.

You see numbers that appear to be waist sizes. One is assuming that they are waist sizes.

The original post, the OP asked if Bottom Sizes is a new word for Waist Sizes. The OP is not questioning the numbers or the S M L abbreviations but the meaning of section title Bottom Sizes.

I do find the term Bottom size to be confusing as to meaning waist size.

With the top of pants being from the upper waist to the hips, perhaps Bottom size is the new name for what was referred to as Waist sizes for as long as I remember shopping.

PS One could assume that "bottom" is referring a persons backside which is close to the waist and not the bottom of the pants as mentioned by the OP in his posts.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Mens Trousers Sizes

And most of the answers to that question seem to support my belief that the numbered sizes are waist sizes.

As a hard to fit male, I've never run into jeans, casual pants or dress trousers being sorted in stores by anything but waist size first.  The leg length is secondary, and hip size doesn't seem to be a consideration at all.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Mens Trousers Sizes

Yes, I find that VERY confusing.  I would suggest that you send a message to one of the buyers you've seen to make sure the bottom is in fact the waist.  Proberly is, but I wouldn't purchase until I knew for sure.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Mens Trousers Sizes

Oops, sorry - of course I meant to say send a message to a SELLER, not buyer,  The more I think about it, I find extremely confusing, but not only that, quite funny.  What the heck has your BUM size to do with a WAIST??!!  LOL

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Mens Trousers Sizes

I always thought the waist was at the top of the trousers not the bottom  original.gif

However the link Pocomocomputing gave in post number six provides me with the information I was looking for.  🙂

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Mens Trousers Sizes

Thank You

fedora.gif

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Mens Trousers Sizes

@marnotom! wrote:

I don't see that and I just cleaned my glasses.

I see inseam directly below bottom size.?

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Mens Trousers Sizes

@karl*katz wrote:

@marnotom! wrote:

I don't see that and I just cleaned my glasses.

I see inseam directly below bottom size.?

The numbers with the checkboxes below the header "bottoms size" are waist sizes.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Mens Trousers Sizes

What the heck has your BUM size to do with a WAIST??!!  LOL

For the past 20 years or so, fashionable pants are belted below the waist. I think the first time I noticed this was when Maria Carey took scissors to what are now called "mom jeans", which had a waistband at the natural waist, and cut them down to a three inch rise.

Men's pants followed suit.

So the hip measurement becomes more important than the actual waist.

And let's not even think about those "pants on the floor" gangbangers.

By the way, women's clothes are often divided into "tops" and "bottoms", which don't refer to the body but to where the item is worn.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Mens Trousers Sizes

Ever since I was a little chap I have been sitting on my bottom.

I have never tried to sit on my waist I don't even know if it is possible.

I am sure it would be painful and could cause damage.

The bottom and the waist are definitely not the same thing.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Mens Trousers Sizes

@karl*katz wrote:

The bottom and the waist are definitely not the same thing.

No, but "bottoms" and "bottom" aren't necessarily the same thing, either.

Asking someone what size bottoms they have is different from asking what size bottom they have, although you'll probably get called "cheeky" for either question.  🙂

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Mens Trousers Sizes

At least two cheeks 🙂

Message 17 of 17
latest reply