Message from eBay re: Postal Strike

Just received an email from eBay-Canada:

As you are likely aware, there is a possibility that Canada Post services will be impacted by a labour disruption as early as July 2, 2016. We encourage you to visit canadapost.ca/update to read about the latest developments and sign up for email updates.

In the event of a Canada Post labour disruption, eBay will remain open for business, and we’re asking you to do the same. There is no need to put your store on vacation hold, to end listings, or to zero out quantities on multi-quantity listings.

Should Canada Post service be disrupted, we recommend that sellers:

• Continue to list and sell on eBay; and
  • Be considerate and accommodate buyers who may wish to cancel orders if they have not yet been shipped.

eBay will be monitoring, and where possible adjusting, estimated delivery dates and eBay Money Back Guarantee timelines to ensure that sellers are not penalized for shipping delays.

eBay will communicate with buyers who purchase Canadian items prior to, or during, a labour disruption to ensure they are aware of the likelihood of shipping delays.

The eBay Canada Team will post additional details on the Announcements Board as they become available.

What this message tells you is to keep listing, keep selling so eBay keeps on collecting fees..  What this message does not tell you is that if an unhappy buyer leaves negative feedback because of delay caused by the postal strike eBay will NOT remove it.

Message 1 of 114
latest reply
113 REPLIES 113

I happen to agree with Mr. Elmwood's stance that we should support the postal workers.

There is a magnificent war going on over the Brexit vote to leave the European Union. It  has mushroomed into a worldwide debate on globalism and what it is doing to those who do not belong to the magic one per cent. There is currently no better place to learn about how Canadians truly feel about that than at Garth Turner's Greater Fool blog. A bit of background though. In his column put out shortly before the vote, Turner, a staunch supporter of globalism, said Ho hum, of course everyone will vote to remain. That Pronouncement was rewritten less than two hours into the tallying of votes.

What has this got to with eBay and Canada Post? Tune in to the past few days of comments that have been flooding greater fool.ca and you'll find out. As Turner himself stated, the blog has gone over to the dark side. (Remember, he's a blue Conservative.) A lot of sellers have shut down for a bit so there's time to read and get a grip on what is increasingly looking like a world game changer.

Message 61 of 114
latest reply

Latest info as of two hours ago:

"Canada Post is warning unionized workers that any type of job action including rotating strikes this weekend will mean the shut down of the post office.

“In the event of a labour disruption, Canada Post will not operate,” the crown corporation said Monday. “Mail and parcels will not be delivered, and no new items will be accepted.

“Any mail and parcels within the postal system during a work disruption will be secured and delivered as quickly as possible once operations resume,” the release says.

It also listed looming deadlines to ensure express mail or priority parcels are delivered by Thursday, because Friday is the Canada Day holiday.

The two sides have been holed up in an Ottawa hotel for months, trying to hammer out a deal covering both urban and processing plant members, and rural carriers before the July 2 deadline. A deal would cover 50,000 employees.

Article Continued Below

At that point, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers would be in a legal strike position. The corporation would be in position to lock out employees, though either side would need to serve 72 hours’ notice before any action.

Canada Post has also taken the unusual step of publicly releasing details of its last offer to the union, put forward on Saturday, after saying it wanted to keep negotiations at the table.

It said the offer which includes a wage increase and no change to the defined benefit pensions for current employees. New hires would be put on a defined contribution plan."

Interesting.  The 72 hours notice is good; gives a bit of advanced warning.   CP seems to have made concessions, which is also good.  Perhaps a deal can be struck. 

Message 62 of 114
latest reply

Except the union says their demands aren't me so no deal. Great way to negotiate.

They don't want to lose their double time for overtime as CP wants temps to work to save money.

Everyone should have jobs as lucrative as the post union. Which job do you know that also pays for lunch time?

And they want sympathy for the union workers, not from this person.

Message 63 of 114
latest reply

Dutchman, like you I was once president of a union local. By the time I quit the news business due to the advent of Conrad Black, I had nothing but contempt for the union members (who were worried about nothing but remuneration) as well as our bullying  management. To this day I'm disappointed that said union members refused to so much as consider making trade offs to ensure a free press.

Fast forward to 2016 and I've come to realize that there is no freedom of speech without a fair wage. Quite simply, people who are weighed down by debt in our increasingly precarious society are afraid to speak out. Because of this I will hold my nose and support all union members, even the useless ones (but they're certainly not all useless), because I believe western society (excluding the one per cent, of course) is in a dangerous race to the bottom as per wages and so on.

You are, like everyone, entitled to your own opinion. But I do invite you and everyone else to take a look at what people are saying on the greater fool blog over the past three days or so. You might change your mind.

Message 64 of 114
latest reply

I have decided to stay open and did a bulk edit of my listings and listed my items with FedEX & DHL for International and Canpar and Purolator for Canada. The shipping cost is definitely not the same however I will not decide for my buyer what is costly shipping. Once the strike is over or if any,  I will bulk edit again to bring all the listings back to Canada Post.

Message 65 of 114
latest reply

I think you misread the post above. Rosedee is closing. I'm staying open.
Message 66 of 114
latest reply

"I think you misread the post above. Rosedee is closing. I'm staying open. "

?????

That was my understanding.  What did I miss?

Message 67 of 114
latest reply

The post was immediately edited to reflect my comment. 

Message 68 of 114
latest reply

????

I still do not get it.  What am I missing?  What did I "misunderstand"?

What post # was edited?

Message 69 of 114
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Except the union says their demands aren't me so no deal. Great way to negotiate.

They don't want to lose their double time for overtime as CP wants temps to work to save money.

Everyone should have jobs as lucrative as the post union. Which job do you know that also pays for lunch time?

When I had employees they got paid for their lunch period (and for about 5 years they got a free lunch to eat during their paid for lunch period).

I know it's not common for hourly workers to be paid for lunch breaks but many salaried employees do.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 70 of 114
latest reply

I have over 6000 listings, Right now I am asking people if they want me to mail it or hold it.

After today I will hold all items and advise.

Last time three weeks of postal strike I held off on everything, advised purchasers that we would have to wait and they were very patient.  No one cancelled at all.  No negative feedback either.  Same when I go on a trip, I advise each person I am away and will mail asap when I get back.

Not sure how it would go with five, six or 8 weeks postal strike.

Every week pushes the frustration for the public higher and higher and the government knows they have to resolve it or it is on their hands.

Ebay.com as I pay in US dollars gets their $300 per month US no matter what.  Not sure if I can take any higher fees over $300 a month as that used to be my whole bill two or three years ago.

At least now I can list between 6000 and 10,000 items for no extra charge.  Have not figured out exactly what the 50,000 free listings thing is or for how long etc.

Maybe someone can tell me.

Message 71 of 114
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

I'm no postie but I also am a unionized worker so like what other comments have said, I do support members of other unions.

If I'm working more than my full time 40 hours per week, then I do think I deserve the double time/pay for overtime. And for the past couple months I worked about 46 hours per week on average due to staff shortage. For my job it actually makes more financial sense to have experienced workers work overtime than to have temps, who needs to be trained from scratch (it costs money to provide training and education) and they might not stay at the job for long. They don't need to pay a full-time worker who work overtime extra benefits etc.

My lunch break is partially paid for. For example, when I work 8 hours, I get paid 7.5 hours, but I have a total of 1 hour break, so half of my break is paid for and the other half isn't. 

Teachers, fire fighters, polices, paramedics, nurses, construction workers etc are also unionized workers. Do you not sympathize with them and not support these people who are fundamental to our society? 

@recped wrote:
When I had employees they got paid for their lunch period (and for about 5 years they got a free lunch to eat during their paid for lunch period).

It is a smart move - keep your workers happy, increase productivity and profit.

Message 72 of 114
latest reply

"As early as" is frustrating.  Will they deliver a few more days, or not...?   I am waiting on eight parcels which I am pretty sure are not all going to arrive in the next 3 days.  Woman Frustrated  Two are eBay.

From the buyer's perspective, if you don't receive your item due to the strike, will you open a not-received case if that deadline arrives?  Because even though it's not the seller's fault, if you don't do it, you'll have no recourse if your item is lost in the backlog and you never get it...  right...?

I'm inclined to think, open a case, explain to the seller why, if they want to refund, OK, and then if the item later shows up after the strike, pay them back.

What are you guys doing?

Message 73 of 114
latest reply

Do you remember the announcement last week by eBay.ca confirming how it will protect Canadian sellers?

You do?

eBay-Canada changed its mind and removed the announcement!  No kidding!  Take a look:

http://announcements.ebay.ca/

Message 74 of 114
latest reply

Remind buyers they have 180 days to file an INR through Paypal.  They don't need to do it in EBay's time frame,.  So unless a strike goes longer than 6 months, they can be patient, if they choose, and still have protection.

Message 75 of 114
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Do you remember the announcement last week by eBay.ca confirming how it will protect Canadian sellers?

You do?

eBay-Canada changed its mind and removed the announcement!  No kidding!  Take a look:

http://announcements.ebay.ca/

From your original post on this thread...

"The eBay Canada Team will post additional details on the Announcements Board as they become available."

Lots of room speculation. Ranging from "there are no additional details so no point in showing it" to "eBay Team Lawyer told us to take it down" to "the usual eBay computer glitchiness" to ...

-..-

For comparison: over on the A-river a Canadian post office shutdown has the same status as a Canadian snowstorm: Find a way to deliver your sales or get penalized.

-..-

Message 76 of 114
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

eBay-Canada changed its mind and removed the announcement! No kidding!

Lots of room speculation. Ranging from "there are no additional details so no point in showing it" to "eBay Team Lawyer told us to take it down" to "the usual eBay computer glitchiness" to ...

And I'll go with computer glitch since I see that all of the June announcements have currently disappeared (according to google cache, there were 5).

Message 77 of 114
latest reply

Here are Ina's from ecommercebytes comments, read last line:

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y16/m06/i28/s02

Message 78 of 114
latest reply

Latest news, looking very bad:

The union representing Canadian postal workers has dubbed last minute offers made last weekend by Canada Post “inadequate,” meaning the mail system could grind to a halt as early as this weekend.

“The Global Offer of Canada Post contains many serious rollbacks and inadequate proposals,” the union said in a statement on its website. “It fails to address many of our demands.”

And even worse:

If and when the situation does devolve into a strike or lock-out, Canadians may not be able to count on the federal government to step in.

The Liberals have stated publicly that they will not interfere in labour disputes. Global News contacted the office of Labour Minister MaryAnn Mihychuk on Monday to confirm that the government would not table back-to-work legislation. As of Tuesday afternoon, however, no response had been provided.  If true, this would mark the first time in Canadian history that the Federal government has not stepped in to end a postal disruption.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said, not looking good. 

As thousands of small business in Canada go belly up over the next few months I wonder what Trudeau will have to say about not ending the dispute.   I'll remember this next election.

Message 79 of 114
latest reply

" If true, this would mark the first time..."

Let's not jump the gun.

We have had postal strikes before.  It is not the end of the world.  Based on previous strikes, the federal government typically waits a few weeks before passing back-to-work legislation. It will be a bit more tricky this time since the Superior Court found the last Harper legislation anticonstitutional.

I expect the federal will act in a responsible manner if a strike lasts more than two weeks.

Message 80 of 114
latest reply