New Boards

First observations:

1) Why do you show the wrong registration date for posters?  My profile shows 2003 while I was in fact registered with eBay way back in the last century (1998)

2) I noticed that the link shown in some recent posts are no longer linked.

Message 1 of 106
latest reply
105 REPLIES 105

Re: New Boards

kalvin@ebay.com wrote:

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Really miss being able to see posters feedback numbers and items for sale! I often find items I want to buy that way. Please add that feature back again!

Hi msmaggie060,

It's definitely a plan to add this back soon, including links to Sellers' listings, Store icon, etc.. Stay tuned!

Good! When someone asks a question it's often helpful to look at their listings before answering...for various reasons. If it's too much trouble to do that then some posts might not be answered at all...or the answer might not be as relevant as it could have been.

Message 21 of 106
latest reply

@sandypurins wrote:

The new format is too wide for my screen resolution which is set to 1024 x 768... I'm using a laptop with a 14" screen.  I can set my screen resolution to 1280 x 1024 but that makes everything look so very, very small.  So small that it's just not a practical solution.

This issue is resolved... the pages now fit on my 1024 x 768 laptop screen... no more left to right scrolling... 

Thank you Kalvin... the quick resolution is very much appreciated...

Message 22 of 106
latest reply

Best new feature is the My Setting option to turn off member signatures. No more repetitious text signatures and no more signature images. So tiring to see the same things over and over again. Absolutely no useful content in most signatures, just wasted forum space.

Members with a signature image or a byline do not know how annoying they can be after being seen forever. To be able to turn signatures off is fantastic.  I can hardly wait to turn off eBay.com signatures with annoying animated GIFs when the new forums are implemented there.

Message 23 of 106
latest reply

Every hour or so, when I refresh my screen, eBay advises:

Message 24 of 106
latest reply

The current US discussion boards hosted by LiveWorld will log out automatically after about an hour, but no announcement is presented; I just  notice that I have to log in again.

Automatic logout would be a privacy/security setting in case you're at a public computer or even so your family members or co-workers don't mess with your account.  But I noticed that I only had to click on the Sign In link, and didn't have to enter my password. What sort of security would that be?    I looked in the Settings for an opt-out or adjustment but couldn't find any. Another possible reason for automatic logout would be so that it doesn't look to eBay like you spend your whole life on the boards, if in fact you've just failed to log out. They'd rather have an accurate estimate of user time on the boards. 

What do you think would be reasonable?

Message 25 of 106
latest reply

es_kar_go
Community Member

I am in the U.S. but  thought I would travel to Canada for a bit  to check out the look and feel of the new boards.  Smiley Happy

I do like the autosave feature that happens while one is typing a reply.   

I also think the "quick reply" button might come in useful in some circumstances.

I looked at the prefences available under "settings".  Seems there are many ways to customize to one's own taste.

It would be nice to have the "hover" preview feature back for threads.  I think I would miss that.  

Message 26 of 106
latest reply

Lithium has hover-preview on their own discussion boards ("Lithosphere") so surely they can provide it for us.

Message 27 of 106
latest reply

@es_kar_go wrote:

It would be nice to have the "hover" preview feature back for threads.  I think I would miss that. 

If the hover feature is implemented, I would like to have it be an optional feature that I can turn off.

Message 28 of 106
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Automatic logout would be a privacy/security setting in case you're at a public computer or even so your family members or co-workers don't mess with your account.  But I noticed that I only had to click on the Sign In link, and didn't have to enter my password. What sort of security would that be?

I noticed the same thing.  There's not any security if that's all it takes to log back in.

Message 29 of 106
latest reply

es_kar_go
Community Member

Hope no one minds if I try out the photo attachment thingy.  snail pic.jpg

Message 30 of 106
latest reply

That was easy!
Message 31 of 106
latest reply

The "Jump to first unread post in a topic" preference is not working.  When I click on the topic title, I get the first post on the first page.

When I click on the topic page number, I get the first post on that page.

Message 32 of 106
latest reply

sandypurins wrote:

The "Jump to first unread post in a topic" preference is not working.  When I click on the topic title, I get the first post on the first page.

When I click on the topic page number, I get the first post on that page.

A bit more information about how this preference is working for me...

If I have unread posts in a topic, it works fine... clicking on the topic title will position me at the first unread post.

If I have no unread posts in a topic, it does not work correctly... clicking on the topic title will position me at the first post on the first page when it should position me at the last post on the last page.

I'm wondering if it would be better to have the preference jump to the last read post in a topic?

Message 33 of 106
latest reply

pocomocomputing,  What did you do to get your posts to not display an avatar under your name in the left hand column?

Message 34 of 106
latest reply

@sandypurins wrote:

pocomocomputing,  What did you do to get your posts to not display an avatar under your name in the left hand column?

I do not have an avatar nor do I want one. Personal Preference. While they offer some personalization to a posting by a particular person, I find it is unnecessary.

I also dislike signatures in posts and these forums have a very nice feature to turn signatures off. Seeing the same signature in posts I find irritating. Seeing a signature once or twice is okay, but seeing the same signature with the same quote and/or the same image over and over again is annoying.  Some signatures add no useful content to a post.

If the signature is a store logo and link to the posters store, I find that okay. A little advertising in the forums is okay to me. I may check out a poster items for sale. But an image of Yoda or a stamp self portrait (Sorry Pierre) or the large image of with Drink Victoriously (??? strange sig) are annoying after the seeing them just 2-3 times. Even the simple text quote in signatures are repetitive after reading them once or twice.

Message 35 of 106
latest reply

I agree that repeated or large signatures can get annoying, as they break the flow of the text that you really want to read. Like you, I intend to take advantage of the ignore option. There are some boards that will show a signature only the first time a member posts in each thread.

But I do like Avatars. They aren't only about making a (possibly baffling)  personal statement. They are your face on the boards, and they can make it easier to recognize frequent posters or the OP of a thread, or to differentiate between posters with similar names.

I chose my avatar because (1) it's a face and (2) even a broken watch is right twice  day.

Message 36 of 106
latest reply

pocomocomputing wrote:

sandypurins wrote:

I do not have an avatar nor do I want one. Personal Preference. While they offer some personalization to a posting by a particular person, I find it is unnecessary.

You've misunderstood my question... I wasn't asking why you had not customized your avatar... I was asking how you managed to not display any avatar in your posts.

Background... it's my understanding that the avatar which is displayed on the forums comes from the member's eBay feedback page.  If the member hasn't selected a custom avatar, eBay will assign the default avatar which is the red face...

Post #2 at this link has the red face avatar...

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/New-Community-Experience/New-Boards/m-p/123821#M25

Your feedback page and your "My World" page have the red face avatar, but your posts do not have that avatar, and so... my question is... how did you manage to get your posts to display without any avatar under your name?

Message 37 of 106
latest reply

Interesting observation. I do not know why there is no avatar. I assumed it was because I never chose one. If it is supposed to pickup the eBay default, I do not know why. I do not recall ever setting one nor specifically turning it off somehow recently or in the distant past.

I do like it without the default avatar. Nice, simple, clean. Hopefully it will not get turned on.

Message 38 of 106
latest reply

pocomocomputing wrote:

Interesting observation. I do not know why there is no avatar. I assumed it was because I never chose one. If it is supposed to pickup the eBay default, I do not know why. I do not recall ever setting one nor specifically turning it off somehow recently or in the distant past.

I do like it without the default avatar. Nice, simple, clean. Hopefully it will not get turned on.

OK, thanks...maybe Kalvin will provide the answer.  I agree with you that it's nice, simple and clean without the default avatar.

Message 39 of 106
latest reply

Sandy, don't lose site of the fact you are looking at a new and different site, what you see on US site you won't see here (re: missing avatar)

Which also brings up, since our logins are the same on every eBay site I used to think our avatars stayed the same - mine is from a couple years back (one of the last updates in US did a number like this as well)

And, is the order of Cancel - Post  made to make us cancel first or do Canadians read from right to left? 😉 (intention is to post, first option should, IMO, be post, not cancel; but that's just me)

Message 40 of 106
latest reply