New Idea for eBay Transactions and Canada Post Strike Sellers Question

First the idea, has eBay considered making a new type of category, such as "trades" instead of the old classic buy and sell ?

Example: I want a video game system priced at $400 for sale on eBay. At home I have 3 other video game systems when combined have a value of $400. Now wouldn't it possible for eBay and paypal to devise a new transactions plan for Barters and Trades, If said seller and buyer come to mutual agreement? Now would this be possibility ? seems like it could be a new and interesting way of going about it. What are your thoughts. If I can get some eBay representatives to weigh in here would be nice to hear from you guys.

Now onto the current Canada post workers strike dilemma.

As a Canadian. If I sell something: take picture of receipt of shipping. inform buyer of current strike and package will take twice as long up to 2 months for delivery through message format after the purchase. if said buyer opens a case for dispute and resolution through ebay/paypal will ebay refund the buyer through their own companies pocket and NOT mine ? seems fair !

or is there a way to put all current sales onto a hold time ? would vacation setting work ? what are your thoughts

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Now wouldn't it possible for eBay and paypal to devise a new transactions plan for Barters and Trades, If said seller and buyer come to mutual agreement?

EBay charges sellers to list here.

They also charge a percentage of the value of the selling price and a percentage of the shipping price to the seller.

That is how they pay for having a site for buyers and sellers.

How do you suggest those costs be covered by the venue?

The reason 'money' won out over 'barter' is that it is much much simpler.  If I have a cow and you have a bicycle, you may want a cow, but I may not want a bicycle. I want a chesterfield.

With barter, no deal.

With money, you pay me for the cow, keep the bicycle and I buy the chesterfield. Deal.

Your mistake is in thinking that eBay (and for that matter the internet) is 'free'.

Well it is free/libre, but it is certainly not free/gratis.

if said buyer opens a case for dispute and resolution through ebay/paypal will ebay refund the buyer through their own companies pocket and NOT mine ?

No, because eBay is no more responsible for the labour dispute than you are.

And you, knowing about the possibility of a postal disruption, chose, of your own free will, to continue to advertise and to ship.

Raphael in last Wednesday's Board Hour

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/June-22nd-2016-Weekly-Session/td-p/341358

addressed this.

Basically, eBay will allow negative feedback for slow delivery to stand, but won't be allowing Disputes.

Personally, I will be putting all my Stores On Vacation on the 29th, This allows me one day to ship, hoping that there is some movement over the long weekend and my international customers' shipments make it out of Canada before the (possible) (and probably rotating) strikes begin.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I doubt eBay has one iota of interest in being involved in bartering. If you want to barter there are sites you can go to where it can be done.

On to the strike......

Why on earth would eBay cover you because you sold something and can't get it to the buyer who paid for it?

To use the Vacation setting to hide your listings you need a Store. If you don't have a store and can't make alternative arrangements for shipping then end your listings or change your handling time to 30 days (but don't expect buyers to be happy).

seems fair !

What fantasy world do you live in?????

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Trading is a simply a bad idea. There are other sites more suitable for it. While you might think your 3 video games are worth $400, I might think they are worth $0 because I don't play them and the last thing I want is 10 people offering random thing to trade with me everyday. If this ever happens I'd leave eBay for sure. Money is a much more useful and straightforward concept.

Next concept about the strike: eBay is a business, not a charity.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

" people offering random thing to trade with me everyday."

there could be an option in the menu under items for sale a check box to accept offers for barter and trade.

and of course money can be made from ebay and paypal, just once again depends on what a person is interested in.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Barter will not happen, too difficult to police.

Can't buy postage with a work stoppage. All services will be suspended.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@zachsale wrote:

... has eBay considered making a new type of category, such as "trades" instead of the classic buy and sell ?

eBay.ca already owns such a site. It's called K with lots of i's and j's (some of the mods don't like the real name) with local Canadian trades and sales, without the need for Canada Post.

-..-

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@zachsale wrote:

... has eBay considered making a new type of category, such as "trades" instead of the classic buy and sell ?

eBay.ca already owns such a site. It's called K with lots of i's and j's (some of the mods don't like the real name) with local Canadian trades and sales, without the need for Canada Post.

-..-

That is so true. K has taken over Canuckistan. Just about wiped everything else out.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

"That is so true. K has taken over Canuckistan. Just about wiped everything else out."

I find it an odd thing that Canadians have taken to "K" so well, yet don't seem to have embraced eBay in the way Americans have. 

I wonder what that says about us as a people -- more trusting, or more flexible?

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

"some of the mods don't like the real name"

Why would that be?

There are no rules against posting links to anything eBay related.  Since K is wholly-owned by eBay Inc, where is the problem?

Could a moderator - please, pretty please -  come here and explain specifically which rule would be broken by providing the full name of the eBay owned site and/or URL ?

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I find it an odd thing that Canadians have taken to "K" so well, yet don't seem to have embraced eBay in the way Americans have. 

I believe that Canadians are less inclined to mail order buying than Americans. And this goes back to the days of the Eaton's Catalogue.

As I have mentioned before, when I was selling woodstoves, we got a franchise to sell Vermont Castings stoves, sold almost exclusively by mail in the USA, because Canadians wouldn't pay $1000 or more sight unseen for a stove.

Kijiji is a face to face transaction. I see it and I buy. Or not.

There are no rules against posting links to anything eBay related.  Since K is wholly-owned by eBay Inc, where is the problem?

The dotCOM mods are very down on mentioning Kijiji and Craigslist. To say nothing of competitive sites like Etsy and Bonanza.

The Canadian mods seem more relaxed, perhaps because with fewer posts to handle, they may have noticed that posters are rarely enthusiastic about the other sites.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"some of the mods don't like the real name"

Why would that be?

Could a moderator - please, pretty please -  come here and explain specifically which rule would be broken by providing the full name of the eBay owned site and/or URL ?

There is no rule, you can talk about Amazon, Etsy, Wal-Mart etc. etc. all you want (with specific limitations).

The rule

Enabling, encouraging, or instructing others to leave eBay so that they can sell, buy, or participate on sites other than eBay that includes the sale of merchandise, auction-style listings, or services, such as off-eBay forums, off-eBay groups, and other sites.

There is no problem using the words Amazon, Etsy etc. as long as you are not "enabling, encouraging or instructing..."

Personally I think eBay for all it's problems eBay is the best place to list for most sellers (the ones that are already here).

It's a long standing board myth that you cannot ever use those names on the board.....context is everything!!!! I have used those words hundreds of times on the boards and have never had a post pulled or edited.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

"That is so true. K has taken over Canuckistan. Just about wiped everything else out."

I wonder what that says about us as a people -- more trusting, or more flexible?

I don't find it odd at all.........craigslist was late to the party here in Canada (and it's junk anyway) and eBay has done an enormous amount of advertising for Kijiji.

One thing holding back Canadian consumers from buying on eBay is the lack of quality items from Canadian sellers. There is quire a bit of resistance to buying from outside Canada, mostly due I expect to the customs/tax issues.

I'm on a number of non-eBay related boards, people are always asking "is there a Canadian source for xxx? I rather not buy from the USA unless I have to".

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Rec has a good point.

The last few times I've needed something (not stamps), and I've checked ebay, the only places that had it were non-Canadian sellers.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@recped wrote:

It's a long standing board myth that you cannot ever use those names on the board.....context is everything!!!! I have used those words hundreds of times on the boards and have never had a post pulled or edited.

Not a myth... you didn't see the vanished messages. Maybe you've got more charm.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

"you didn't see the vanished messages."

I guess you did!  Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 16
latest reply