New policy info needed

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone here may be able to provide me with the url to the new policy for shipping info that will be starting on July 1st.

I've looked. I can't find.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

New policy info needed

jakeeangel
Community Member
Check the announcements on .com. Don't bother with the help files yet, it's old info. They take forever to update the help files.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!

When you find doing what's right hard to do - you've got a problem.
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually just found the info by going to the policy discussion board.

Now...to sift through the info!

Again, thanks!
Susan
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

jakeeangel
Community Member
You're welcome. Sorry I was in the middle of something and just took a break to read here for a minute or I'd have searched for you.

But I have to thank you too. I had no idea that there was a policy discussion board. That must be a fun place!! LOL

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Here's the url to all of the discussion boards:

http://pages.ebay.com/community/boards/index.html

There are lots there!

And, thankfully, an unhappy camper happened to bring up the shipping policy on the policy board and that's how I found the link to the original announcement.

Odd that the phone call I received from eBay WAS so different from what the announcement says. I think the rep took some liberties with what he left as a message for me.

Have fun perusing all of those boards!

Susan
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

jakeeangel
Community Member
Yeah, they say they work for eBay but what that really translates to is they're a company hired by eBay to make the phone calls and read from a script.

They do the same thing at eBay Live. I was pissed one year when some pinhead went over my listings and gave really dum suggestions. One of his was to move the cost of the item to the shipping cost. *big grin* He was proud of the suggestion too. I wasn't impressed. Can you say Fee Avoidance? The funny thing was they just announced a crackdown on that the night before at the Keynote speach. LOL

I later, like about 5 minutes later, encountered someone and complained to her about the session I just had. LOL Turns out she was in charge of the shipping section on eBay and she wasn't impressed either. She wanted a name & description of this guy then marched on over to chew him out. LOL But she confirmed for me that not every single person wearing an eBay shirt is actually an eBay employee. Some are sub-contracted out. Most are employees but some aren't.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Basically I was told that if I didn't have shipping stated in my more than 3000+ store listings that I would be shut down as of July 1st.

The announcement that was made in March did not say that this would happen. It did say that those sellers who did not state shipping charges would be disadvantaged in Best Match.

I've talked to PS Support several times since that message was left for me and they said that they don't know what will happen to me (or others) if we don't have shipping stated by July 1st.

Right now I have every item in my store on sale and I can't adjust anything unless I want the sales to drop off. The sales run through the end of the month.

I was planning on taking the month of July off as our oldest daughter and our granddaughter are coming to visit then. She's an engineer and plans on helping me with the shipping and my off eBay website at that time.

It's not like I only have 5 items to fix. 3000 listings take a bit of time! And, if they have any purchases on them...the listings have to be ended and relisted. It's a lot of work that I prefer to do without having to tend to my buyers.

And...everyone needs a holiday!

We'll see. In the end, I know having shipping stated will be a positive thing for me, but it's making it fair for my buyers that concerns me.

Do we get vacation pay? *LOL* Doesn't hurt to ask!

Susan
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

jakeeangel
Community Member
LOL I hear you!! I have the same problem. It's easy on most stuff but not on my bird toys. It's complicated.

I never heard the shut down thing but I'd like to know if we'll be bumped down in the search for that specific item or overall because so many of the listings out of all of them don't have shipping costs.

Maybe they'll be clearer at eBay Live. Who knows. I've listened to the last 4 or 5 Town Hall meetings all in one day as I was working and they did say you have to have specified shipping or you'll be lowered but never said you'll be shut down. Does that mean you won't be or that they just won't say you will be? No idea.

My question is do I have to have shipping costs for all locations I ship to? I can do the US easy but not Canada and not every country. I hope as long as you have at least one country's shipping noted that it's ok otherwise I'm in trouble.

I ship Canadians stuff from Canada and others from the US. For me to calculate shipping for Canadians I have to list on .ca & use the calculator. I don't list on .ca. I list on .com. And shipping odd sized, heavy boxes with CP varies as we all know. I can't enter a shipping cost for Canadians because of that on .com. If I put too much I'll not only scare away buyers I'll probably get dinged for too high shipping costs even if I say I'll refund the difference.

I need to make a list of what I have to ask them at Live and this is a really important one.

sigh Isn't this going to be fun!!

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

momoftwingles2
Community Member
I'm glad to hear that you are going to eBay Live and hopefully, Jake Angel, you will have some answers for all of us regarding shipping.

Like you, I only list on .com. And, shipping is tricky when buyers buy eyelets, brads, stickers and then they buy ONE sheet of paper! It goes from Other Letter to Small Packet right away.

And, most days I have buyers in that purchase large quantities of supplies and then I juggle things around to get the best shipping for them.

I've asked several times to have a CANADIAN rep contact me regarding shipping....but so far, no luck.

I've researched what others sellers who have stores that carry items similar to mine here in Canada charge. My findings....they put a lot of money in their pocket from looking at their stated shipping...unless they refund.

I can't imagine someone buying a sheet of paper from me if I put that it cost $6.99 to ship to the States. I know that I wouldn't!

I do look forward to hearing from you after your trip. Wish I could attend, however our three daughters come first!

Keep me posted!
Susan
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

jakeeangel
Community Member
I toyed with not going. I have a hate on for them right now but at the same time I thought this is going to be a really important one to go to. I want answers and I hope I can get some from the right people.

I see a lot of loopholes here and I want to know how or IF they're going to be addressed. I have issues with the unpaid item dispute process & panel & any negs or neutrals that come out of it.

I just don't know what they're doing. I agree with getting rid of lousy sellers but some good ones are being hit in the process. There's no protection for them. The buyers are holding all the cards and that's not right IMO. They say they're going to protect sellers but it appears to be lipservice. There are so many ways eBay can tell a seller they're out of luck it doesn't qualify because da da da da da da....it pisses me right off. 😞 And I want answers on it. I want an explanation.
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

I received the dreaded phone call earlier this week and was led to believe that we will not be allowed to create a new listing, after July 1, unless you showed ship costs in the ship costs section. Apparently showing detailed shipping costs within your auction description does not make for a "happy happy joy joy" buyers experience.

When I told the caller I use Fed-Ex exclusively and that I show high/low ship rates for the U.S. and I show high/low rates for Canada (in the body of my auction description) and could they please walk me through the process so I can continue to provide this useful info to my potential buyers. After hemming and hawing for a bit, they suggested I best drop Fed-Ex and get on board with UPS. Excellent answer.

They then said they would email me with great info. Email came next day. Still looking for the great info in it. I am not going flat rate, I am definitely not going free shipping. 45 lbs, 22 x 22 x 18 boxes tend to cost a few sheckles more to ship than I am willing to absorb. Yes I know this is not the most cohesive posting I ever submitted but frankly, I just dont feel like cleaning it up.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

tea_past_times
Community Member
Stay Optimistic Now!!
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

tea_past_times
Community Member
After all remember you live in north rural Saskatchewan and you need this job so badly. And remember how thankful you are that Ebay is there for you.
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

tea_past_times
Community Member
I think thats what you said to me when I pointed how bad Ebay's changes would be when they were announced in January.
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

tea_past_times
Community Member
Time always reveals the truly naive.
Message 15 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Tea,

You are right. I live in rural Saskatchewan. I am thankful that eBay is here. And, I can assure you that I will take on the challenge of eBay's shipping requirement.

You on the other hand perhaps need to take a class...in showing a bit more respect for posters on this board. Your sarcastic and nasty replies are not appreciated by me or many others on this board.

You would have benefited from sitting on the carpet in my fourth grade classroom when I was teaching in Virginia Beach. You see...my students learned a valuable lesson. Complaining gets you NO WHERE. However, if you offer a CONSTRUCTIVE way to fix a complaint that you have....then you will see change. Your posts are nothing more than put downs for one and for all. You OFFER NO CONSTRUCTIVE FIXES FOR ANYTHING. You are quite *me* centered.

Perhaps over time you will grow up, act like an adult and become a meaningful member of society in general. I shudder to think of how you must respond in e-mails to buyers who have problems.

eBay's challenge to provide shipping is one that I will accomplish in a fair and equitable manner for my buyers. I don't want to be a seller who pockets any money, circumvents any fees. For 7 + years I've not provided shipping up front and it's never bothered any of my buyers because they knew they could trust me. Now...I have to change that to comply with the new rules. I will. I've asked for help and I know that eBay will eventually be able to provide that for me.

That's the difference between you and me....I trust...you whine.

Now do us all a favor and go drink some coffee.

Susan
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

momoftwingles2:"You on the other hand perhaps need to take a class...in showing a bit more respect for posters on this board."

Wow! What a put down! Shouldn't you be following your own advice?
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

tea_past_times
Community Member
As time goes on Momoftwingles slowly reveals the true nature. It's not a problem. I love the generalizations though. Those in and of themselves reveal a lot.

I'm sorry that what you said in the past upsets you so much that when I mention it, you feel you must launch a personal attack.
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

tea_past_times
Community Member
If you don't like having what you've posted brought up, perhaps you could post less??
Message 19 of 20
latest reply

New policy info needed

tea_past_times
Community Member
Hmmmmmm......
Message 20 of 20
latest reply