November 12th 2014 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers!

Welcome to our weekly Board Hour. Please go ahead and start posting at your convenience, we will join you at 1 PM Eastern as usual.

Thanks,

Ryanne

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: November 12th 2014 Weekly Board Hour

Is there any new information about fixing the shopping cart for eBay.com buyers who wish to purchase from eBay.ca sellers?

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

@back2paul wrote:

Is there any new information about fixing the shopping cart for eBay.com buyers who wish to purchase from eBay.ca sellers?

Hi back2paul,

No new update yet but we are still pushing for prioritization for this issue. Please also keep in mind this issue only affects sellers who offer combined shipping discounts and list on eBay.ca. 

Thanks,

Ryanne

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I don't quite understand. If I sell on ebay.ca but do not offer combined shipping the shopping cart will work for eBay.com buyers?

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

When I look at my closed listings, click on Shipping tab, I get this message.

Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid Postal Code.

Same message whether I check for Canada, US or other countries.

Most of my listings have fixed shipping cost specified for Canada, US and International.

I've checked a few other sellers closed listings, and this seems to be sporadic, some closed listings have this problem, some don't.

Any explanation?

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

@back2paul wrote:

I don't quite understand. If I sell on ebay.ca but do not offer combined shipping the shopping cart will work for eBay.com buyers?

Hi back2paul,

Your buyers can pay for your items individually using Buy it Now but the shopping cart will still not work. We are trying very hard to get a solution to this problem.

Thanks,

Ryanne

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@bookelph wrote:

When I look at my closed listings, click on Shipping tab, I get this message.

Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid Postal Code.

Same message whether I check for Canada, US or other countries.

Most of my listings have fixed shipping cost specified for Canada, US and International.

I've checked a few other sellers closed listings, and this seems to be sporadic, some closed listings have this problem, some don't.

Any explanation?

Hi bookelph,

It seems to only happen on listings that have been purchased or won. All listings that I checked that hadn't been purchased not did show this message.

The error message is clearly not the best but I assume the shipping isn't showing because the item has been purchased. 

Thanks,

Ryanne

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

It's worse than that Ryanne. eBay.com customers have to pay via PayPal immediately as well as individually.

I have noticed a distinct reduction in Buy-It-Now business and I think it is caused by the immediate payment default for eBay.com customers. It encourages them to skip over my listings. I used to get good additional Buy-It-Now business when I was running auctions but not so much any more. Without the shopping cart eBay.com buyers can't make additional purchases prior to my auction closing and then settle up for all BIN and auction purchases together.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

It seems to only happen on listings that have been purchased or won. All listings that I checked that hadn't been purchased not did show this message.

The error message is clearly not the best but I assume the shipping isn't showing because the item has been purchased. 

That presents a problem.

I have a customer (in Canada) who apparently only saw the price for US shipping before he made the purchase. Now he is questioning shipping cost. 

Even though I can explain to him that he should have clicked on shipping tab to see CDN shipping price, he can not do it now, so I'm thinking he may not believe me.... so he's thinking shenanigans!!!

I see a Defect coming.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I should also mention that if an eBay.com buyer asks the eBay help desk why the shopping cart is missing from my store they are told that I am asking for immediate payment. They are not told that it is a shopping cart glitch nor are they told that if they log in on eBay.ca the shopping cart will work.
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@bookelph wrote:

That presents a problem.

I have a customer (in Canada) who apparently only saw the price for US shipping before he made the purchase. Now he is questioning shipping cost. 

Even though I can explain to him that he should have clicked on shipping tab to see CDN shipping price, he can not do it now, so I'm thinking he may not believe me.... so he's thinking shenanigans!!!

I see a Defect coming.

Hi bookelph,

Can you please give us the item number? Also the buyer should see the shipping price in My eBay in the order details. 

Send us the item number and we will take a look.

Thanks,

Ryanne

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Thanks Ryanne, I will send you an email with the item Number.

Although he can see the shipping cost in his order details (and the invoice),

the question is that he thinks the listing showed one price and his invoice shows another price.

If he could see the original listing, he could see for himself.

Can you look into this error message to see if it is functioning as intended, or if it is a glitch (since it doesn't happen for everyone's closed listings. And if a glitch, will it be fixed?

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@back2paul wrote:

It's worse than that Ryanne. eBay.com customers have to pay via PayPal immediately as well as individually.

I have noticed a distinct reduction in Buy-It-Now business and I think it is caused by the immediate payment default for eBay.com customers. It encourages them to skip over my listings. I used to get good additional Buy-It-Now business when I was running auctions but not so much any more. Without the shopping cart eBay.com buyers can't make additional purchases prior to my auction closing and then settle up for all BIN and auction purchases together.

Hi back2paul,

Immediate pay on BIN items under $1000 is not exclusive to eBay.com, it is also enforced on eBay.ca. So that alone cannot account for your lower BIN sales. As Ryanne originally said, the way the US shopping cart works is only detrimental to sellers who list on eBay.ca and normally offer combined shipping discounts. If a seller does't offer shipping discounts, the buyers can pay for every item individually and the resulting total price would be the same as if they had been able to use the shopping cart.

There are 2 work arounds to avoid this issue:

1. You can list your items on eBay.com, which will make them available to be put into the US shopping cart.

2. You can direct your buyers to use the shopping cart on eBay.ca where they will be able to combine purchases.

@back2paul wrote:
I should also mention that if an eBay.com buyer asks the eBay help desk why the shopping cart is missing from my store they are told that I am asking for immediate payment. They are not told that it is a shopping cart glitch nor are they told that if they log in on eBay.ca the shopping cart will work.

The US shopping cart was built to only accept items listed on eBay.com. In that regard, it is working as it was designed, hence the CSRs would not consider this issue being a glitch or bug. As for recommending that the buyers go to eBay.ca to make their purchase, that's certainly something we can ask them to do.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

"Immediate pay on BIN items under $1000 is not exclusive to eBay.com, it is also enforced on eBay.ca. "
But when a customer is logged in on eBay.ca the shopping cart is available so immediate payment is not required.
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@back2paul wrote:
"Immediate pay on BIN items under $1000 is not exclusive to eBay.com, it is also enforced on eBay.ca. "
But when a customer is logged in on eBay.ca the shopping cart is available so immediate payment is not required.

This is wrong. When putting BIN items in the shopping cart, the buyer still doesn't "own" the items. Another buyer can still buy them until the time the 1st buyer actually makes the payment. That is the point of Immediate Payments.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Raphael, I do not request immediate payments on any listing. It's only appears that I do when the shopping cart is disabled for the eBay.com customer. eBay.ca customers can purchase any BIN item from my store without making immediate payment.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

I think you are underestimating the effect immediate payment has on buying decisions on eBay. Immediate payment is not the "normal" option for most eBay members. Many will pay shortly after making a BIN purchase but the decision as to when to make payment is theirs. When buyers encounter the request for immediate PayPal payment they can be turned off, close the window, and move on to another seller (probably an eBay.com seller).
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

We are also suffering terribly with the combining issues plaguing the sites. Please fix this soon, it has been a long time now not functioning properly and we would love to start selling up to our potential again.

cheers!

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@back2paul wrote:
I think you are underestimating the effect immediate payment has on buying decisions on eBay. Immediate payment is not the "normal" option for most eBay members. Many will pay shortly after making a BIN purchase but the decision as to when to make payment is theirs. When buyers encounter the request for immediate PayPal payment they can be turned off, close the window, and move on to another seller (probably an eBay.com seller).

Before I go any further, I have to correct myself. Forced Immediate Payment (the provision to protect sellers from unpaid items by only committing an item to a buyer once the item is paid for) doesn't seem to be enforced on the CA site. That policy is enforced on eBay.com however, which is why the US shopping cart not accepting non-US items became a problem in the first place. Also note that this policy is different from and overrides the Immediate Payment feature that any seller can select in the listing flows.

Under normal circumstances, and with a shopping cart that accepts any items regardless of which eBay site they were listed on, forced immediate payment is very advantageous for sellers since it prevents buyers from holding items by committing to buy them and then decide to back out of the transaction or just not pay for them.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

This concludes this week's chat. Thanks for joining, see you next week!

Message 20 of 20
latest reply