Require Fellow Ebayers feedack on Postal Services Please

Hi Everyone,

I currently have 2 stores with ebay and after reading a lot of discussions today I have found Fedex to be the best service to use with shipping.

I currently use CP and can not believe the costs I pay in shipping, never mind the increase coming next week. My shipping costs every month range from $500. - $1500. a month.

Both my stores are growing and I am getting a little tired of standing in line with 6 - 8 boxes every other day. Let alone time consuming.

My parcels range anywhere from ounces to 2 kg and every package weight is different. More than 60% of my parcels have to be shipped expedited because it's over 1kg.

I do have a scale but the weight is never the same when I take it to CP and have to re do the forms ( US & International ) wasting more time.

I have never changed services because I hear from people is that I need to buy a digital scale first. Is this true ?

Do these other postal services weight the items when they pick them up and then bill you the costs ? & how does the pick up service actually work ? The postal phamplets & website provide very little information on the actual process only that they provide the service.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
TracieDawn
Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

magicpixiedust
Community Member
BITS N PIECES - THE POWER SELLER DISCOUNT FOR BRONZE LEVEL IS 8% SAVINGS ON SELECTED SHIPPING (DOMESTIC), EXPEDITED PARCEL USA AND XPRESSPOST - NOT FOR SMALL PACKET AIR TO USA OR INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING - SO IT IS 3% HIGHER THAN THE VENTURE 1....I DONT KNOW HOW WSBOYD IS SAVING 25% OFF THE COUNTER - MUST BE A HIGHER LEVEL OF DISCOUNT (SILVER OR GOLD POWERSELLER???)
I DONT GET BILLED BY CANADA POST - WHEN EVER I USE EST, THEY CHARGE IT AUTOMATICALLY TO MY CREDIT CARD....
Message 21 of 35
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member
For USA bound items the power seller discount at bronze/silver level is ZERO. Its the same rate, 8%, as anyone could get printing out their postage with EST, and 1% higher then printing out USA expedited/Xpresspost through the Ebay/paypal 9% discount.

WIthin Canada there is a further discount. I've yet to see an accurate explanation on just how this is calculated.

Her's an example, 1KG 20X20X10cm going from me to a rural address just outside my city in my province

EST with power seller discount expedited: $6.86 incl tx
Xpresspost $7.85
Using rate calculator on canadapost.ca Expedited : $8.27 incl tx
xpresspsot: $10.46

The website ones were using the business calculator so are the price you'd pay with Venture1 card. Take another 3% off if printing with EST to compare with the power seller price.

I can't imagine anyone who already has a contract rate would be better off with the power seller thing. No idea what kind of review they do on those with the power seller discount except I kept it when I lost power seller status for months over the summer.
Message 22 of 35
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member
same size box Kingston ON to vancouver

Power seller expedited $8.10 total
wesbite with V1 10.06 (take off another 3% automation discount for est)

So 25% is a little high, but its a decent discount.
Message 23 of 35
latest reply

totsclothing
Community Member
Hi guys- I have not yet posted here but had a question. I am a Power Seller but have not taken advantage of Venture One. I feel that by applying and using it the Gov't will have a way of tracking what, where and when I postmy items. I don't CLAIM my Ebay profits and I feel if I use Venture One I will one day have an audit sitting in front of me.

I know some do and some don't agree with claiming anything you make via Ebay- I sell a lot but don't make thousands- or enough to live from. I am a mom of 3 small kids and it allows me to stay home. This isn't my question or issue( to claim or not).

I am wondering if anyone else has the same thoughts about the Venture One program considering you are enteing all your info and it is Gov't run. We all love the Gov't so much! lol

Thanks for your time
ljarratt@telus.net
Message 24 of 35
latest reply

I would not worry about Canada Revenue tracking you down via your Venture One card. They will get much better ammunition by getting your eBay and PayPal history (Both of which would be easily accessible to them).

Of course if all your customers pay with cash or Canadian Tire money you have nothing to worry about.....Whoops too late, you already posted here what you are doing so you're fried. This post does not shown up in a Google search yet but it will in a few weeks or less.
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 25 of 35
latest reply

totsclothing
Community Member
Really-

interesting-

why would it show up on a Google search?

Also, How would my personal Paypal or Ebay history be available to anyone through the Gov't or Canada Post?

That would be in violation of the privacy Act without getting my concent?
Not that I have a problem with it if I was asked.

As I said though they wouldn't get much ammunition from me asI can only HOPE to sell in the thousands. lol

hahha- no Canadian Tire funds isn't the means for me collecting any $$- and rarely do people send money orders! But you are funny.
Message 26 of 35
latest reply

Hi Everyone,

Wow it is a good thing we are having the workshop with Canada Post on Friday.

I have finally bought a scale and used the EST for the first time yesterday. I also called and talked to someone from CP who was very helpful.

Regular Parcels do not receive any discounts regardless of amount sent.

All other packages to the US & CAD receive the 5% venture discount and 3% EST discount.Further discounts apply for very high volume of parcels not dollar value of money spent at CP. That's it...

I dropped off 3 packages yesterday, one expedited and 2 regulat. I left with a acknowledgement of receiving the expedited parcel but I did not receive any print out for the other 2. I kinda left the post office leery as I had no record of them being received. All I have is the bill that was on the bottome part of the print out from EST.

I also found out that the desktop EST is designed for the commercial business and does not include the venture one card into it's calculations. You need to use the online version in order for it to recognize the venture one card discount as well.

The only problem I have at this moment which seems to be a big issue with a lot of ebay sellers is envelope packages. I sell crystals that weigh 5 - 15g and put in the smallest bubble envelope available but I still need to pay $1.78 for a oversized envelope because it is not in a white envelope like a bill. I feel this is wrong and just a way for the big guys to make money off of us who are trying to start a business.

Thanks again for everyones feedback and comments. I have learnt a lot and will stay close to this topic so I can keep learning more from all of you.

Keep Smiling 😄
TracieDawn

Sunshyne Crafts
Sunshyne Crafts Beads
Message 27 of 35
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
totsclothing,

If you are not making thousands, as you claim, then why are you opening yourself up to a tax evasion charge? There is a personal exemption which should cover your ebay income.

Your post, on this board at least, will not show up in Google as this is a private access board. Having said that, I would advise you to be careful what you post on any board as many, myself included, will not have much respect for someone who openly claims to break the law. You have now opened yourself up to an audit as there are many who will happily wander over to Revenue Canada and report your tax evasion. I have better things to do with my time, but there are many who don't. I suggest you re-examine your decision to claim your ebay income before submitting this year's income tax return. If you are not making a great deal, then you will not pay taxes on it anyway.

Monique

Monique

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

totsclothing
Community Member
Thanks!

I didn't know that I would fall under ANY personal allowed exemption! You were correct and I fall within it and much more. I didn't know that existed.
I made a phone call and wow- she was full of information as well as a lot I qualify for and can actually take advantage of.

So- thanks!
Message 29 of 35
latest reply

why would it show up on a Google search?

Google index just about everything on the web

Also, How would my personal Paypal or Ebay history be available to anyone through the Gov't

That would be in violation of the privacy Act without getting my concent?

They would need a court order (easy enough) but NOT your permission.

Your post, on this board at least, will not show up in Google as this is a private access board.

NOTHING is private on the internet! Here are two examples of things that can be found searching Google for your username.

totsclothing posted on 07-03-05 12:58 EST

hello- I am a seller in Canada but I am having the exact problem that you are having. I want to list a Magic Hair Dora the explorer on the the AU web site and no matter what it keeps taking me back to Ebay.com.

whoscloset posted on Jan-02-04 20:39 PST

Hi,
I live in Ontario, Canada and receive the large majority of my payments from customers via PayPal. Here's my little frustration:

Of course anyone can register on these boards and search locally which will reveal every post you have ever made to these forums.

Message 30 of 35
latest reply

totsclothing
Community Member
wild- interesting...was that your comment about living in Ontario? or was that from a search? I am asking because I do not live in Ontario?
perhaps there is another user other than mine with that name? do you think?

Thanks for the information those were old posts!!
Message 31 of 35
latest reply

was that your comment about living in Ontario?

No, it part of an old post by whoscloset.

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

"old post", Google obviously don't send their 'bots to the Canadian forums that often. Posts on the US boards usually show up in a Google search within a couple of days.

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

totsclothing
Community Member
Oh right- I see now...
I thought they were both from me. lol

I see now that you did a search on my name as well as hers...

thanks for taking the time to do that.

I think that was the only other time I posted within this site.

Take care

Lisa
Message 34 of 35
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Yep, you are right it is an old post, and one made on a public board. I challenge you to find one of my posts made on this board, the U.S. PS board or in one of the private ebay groups.

Monique

Message 35 of 35
latest reply