Run for the border (from Toronto to USPS)

Increasing postage charges from CP and the falling US Dollar combine to make shipping via USPS more and more attractive.

I would like to contact other full time GTA sellers to combine with for economical border runs to Lewiston NY.

I can offer my own volume of packages and logistics assistance but need others to overcome my own personal borders issues.

If interested please contact me directly or post here.

Ben
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

jakeeangel
Community Member
I'm interested. What do you have in mind? How much stuff do you ship in terms of quantity (number of pieces) and dollars?

I got called in once to pay the user fee. I had used the other car instead of the one with the decal and they were going to make me pay duty to bring the stuff in. When I voiced an objection and enquired about the $200 per person/address exemption I was told basically - tough nuggies. It's our discretion and I could make you go get a broker, I'm being nice to you. Um.....ok....sure.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction
Message 2 of 32
latest reply

iburk
Community Member
I got called in once to pay the user fee. I had used the other car instead of the one with the decal and they were going to make me pay duty to bring the stuff in. When I voiced an objection and enquired about the $200 per person/address exemption I was told basically - tough nuggies. It's our discretion and I could make you go get a broker, I'm being nice to you. Um.....ok....sure.

At our crossing (Point Roberts, WA) they usually have a dickhead day once a year. Today was the day. My wife was telling me they were actually opening up packages - not ours.

The clever customs officer caught my wife with "how many packages do you have?". They went out to the car and counted them - he had to count them 3 times (always got a different count). When he was finally satisified the customs forms said 56 items, there were 56 invoices and there were 56 packages he let her through.

Like any one shipping through the same port for 5 years is going to try to get another package across ... especially if it does not mean anything to them ... 1 or 1000 makes no difference to us.
Message 3 of 32
latest reply

jakeeangel

Did you get my email?

Ben

- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 32
latest reply

I shipped through USA for 5 years without a problem. Then all of a sudden it changed. I was told I had to hire a broker, regardless of the value. I made the crossing at least once a week for over 30 years, have never done anything wrong and now I get pulled in, searched and treated like a criminal each time I make the crossing.
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
How are you doing it? Do you have the decal from Customs and Border protection indicating that you are a business and providing them with all your info? Do you provide the proper forms and documentation when you cross? What's the average total value of goods being brought over each trip?

If they pull you over once for whatever reason and they flag you for inspection based on your discussions with them at the time, you're gonna get pulled over every time. Maybe they're questioning the authenticity of your product?

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/home.xml

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

On my other ID elegance_classique, I've been using USPS from Plattsbug, NY and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Elaine
TimelessClassicElegance

Elaine
TimelessClassicElegance
View Elaine Serafini's profile on LinkedIn
Message 7 of 32
latest reply

I leave packages open with copy of eBay listing and PayPal payment. I bring a roll of tape and :):):) Elaine
TimelessClassicElegance

Elaine
TimelessClassicElegance
View Elaine Serafini's profile on LinkedIn
Message 8 of 32
latest reply

No, I don't have a decal. I never did any paper work either. I always told them what I had, how much value and they waved me through....no problem. I guess those days are over. Thanks for the info jakeeangel. I think I know now what I need to do. One thing for sure: Anything is better than the hell I went through shipping with Canada Post for the past few months!
Message 9 of 32
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
If you're bringing over thousands of dollars worth of goods there's no way they would just wave you through. No way at all. If you go over once a week, they know this and will inform you that you should get the commercial decal. They may even ask you why you have not done so yet continue to use the crossing for commercial purposes.

Prior to actually getting our decal we were told many times to do so. The only reason we didn't do it right away is because it goes by calendar year. I didn't want to pay the $100 for the full year but only get 1 month out of it. So I waited until January to get it. But every time we went over they reminded us about the decal.

I find it very suspicious that no one would mention it to you. They know full well about the commercial requirements and it is their job to tell you that you need it, what it is, where to get it and what you need to do. There are fees associated with doing so and they want their fees. They're not going to not tell you you need it. It is also your job and responsibility to know your business and how to conduct it including the varous requirements of doing so.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

jenzaka
Community Member
Hi
We make the trip to the USA for shipping purposes 2 to 3 and sometimes more, a week. We live in NIAGARA FALLS so its about a half hour round trip. Because we make the trip so often we don't normally have more than $400 total in packages at any one time.
As to the comment "they know full well about the commercial requirements" in the above post, I don't agree at all. When we cross at the Lewiston bridge, which is a commercial trucking bridge, the agents know the requirements. When we cross at the Rainbow Bridge, they don't have a clue. So, by default we cross at the Rainbow to save time and hassle.
In the past 6 months we have had to "go in" twice, and only one of those times were we asked to pay the $5 commercial fee. We always bring along a manifest with our items and values listed but no one has ever actually looked at it. Once in a while they will ask if you have a manifest, we answer yes and that is that.
I guess it all depends on which staff you are dealing with.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

Hi Ben,

If your interested in organizing a run to Lewiston count me in. Contact me on eBay and we can make arrangements to drop shipments off in Lewiston.

Moshe
Message 12 of 32
latest reply

long_hitter
Community Member
If you guys orginize a run from the GTA to the border, I'll be interested. I don't have the time to do the runs myself but will be willing to pay for someone to do it

Let me know
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Feel free to contact me at 416-720-2719 to discuss organising a run for Saturday mornings to Lewiston.

Moshe
Message 14 of 32
latest reply

If anyone in the Toronto area is interested in combining shipping, I will be headed for Lewiston NY this Saturday morning.

Moshe
Message 15 of 32
latest reply

inkdoodle
Community Member
Hello,

I am very interested in anyone shipping cross border to Niagara via usps. I'm so sick of Canada post and I have been receiving many complaints from my usa customers. The usa residents sometimes get their items 1 month after i ship it out.

If someone knows any good contacts for courier services for dropping off items from Toronto to Niagara please let me know.

Thanks,

InkDoodle
Message 16 of 32
latest reply

maison05
Community Member
Any one interested to start a Vancouver run to Washington state?
Message 17 of 32
latest reply

Can yousay efficiency??? Here is a sampling of some of the small packets I sent out on Saturday with a tracking number through Lewiston, NY:

03051720000197957657 Arrived today in FL
03051720000197957725 Arrived today in AL
03051720000197957701 Arrived today in UT
03051720000197957718 Arrived today in AZ

I could go on and on. I am awestruck with the efficiency of USPS.
Message 18 of 32
latest reply

USPS is very efficient. Not only is it cheap, provides you with tracking number, but its also fast delivery. For Priority they give you boxes and labels for free. Their insurance covers not only loss but also breakage or damage which is a must if you are selling fragile items. Books and magazines can go with Media Mail which is so cheap, it makes you laugh. They also have flat rate envelopes for shipping to most countries around the world by Global Express. It costs $9 and you can ship up to 4 lbs. in these envelopes.

I have used them for over five years and nothing ever got lost. Then because of my stupidity and stubborness I switched to Canada Post.

WHAT A NIGHTMARE IT HAS BEEN!!!!!
Message 19 of 32
latest reply

If you are going to make a run to your nearest USA border post office, you should also consider either renting a post office box or UPS Store box for your ebay purchases. People at Canada Customs are great and you will save a ton of money on shipping charges and brokerage charges.

My post office box address was never "confirmed" with PayPal but my UPS store address is.
Message 20 of 32
latest reply