SELLERS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF US CANADIANS..

YES WHEN THE CANADIAN DOLLAR DROPS TO AS LOW AS IT IS NOW THE SELLERS RAISE THE POSTAL RATES AS WELL AS THE EXCHANGE OF OUR DOLLAR.THIS IS NOT RIGHT ONE DAY AND SOON THE CANADIAN DOLLAR WILL BE WORTH MORE THEN THAT YANKIE DOLLAR. THEY SAY  SCREW ME NOW AND WILL SCREW YOU LATER...... THE CANADIANS DON'T FORGET AND ARE THE BIGGEST AND I DO MEAN BIGGEST BUYERS ON E BAY..IF WE STOP BUYING ITEMS ON THE YANKIE SIDE THEN WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THOSE SELLERS.......

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: SELLERS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF US CANADIANS..

Sellers have nothing to do with the rate of exchange.

If a Canadian buyer wants to purchase an item in US$, that buyer has to expect to pay whatever the US dollar is worth that day.

Sellers only get the US dollars stated in the listings.  They do not profit from whatever exchange rate exists that day.

Currently it costs Canadians about Cdn$ 1.12 to $1.13 to purchase a US$1.00 or Cdn$ 112.00 to Cdn$ 113.00 to purchase US$100.00

I frankly fail to understand what you are ranting about.

If you prefer to purchase in Cdn$, you will find thousands of Canadian sellers on eBay and elsewhere willing to sell to you.

As far as expecting the Cdn$ to go back above parity with the US$, you will need to be patient, very patient.  Most foreign exchange experts expect the Canadian dollar to remain around current levels, maybe a bit lower for the rest of this year, possibly lower next year.

"THE CANADIANS ... ARE THE BIGGEST ... BUYERS ON E BAY.."

You may want to check your facts.  Canadians account for less than three percent (3%) of all purchasing on eBay.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Does anyone know why Paypal ALWAYS take more Can $ then what ebay said it would be?
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

"Does anyone know"

Yes.

This applies to ALL eBay international sites (not just Canadians) where an equivalent currency is shown.

Typically, eBay will show the wholesale conversion rate (mid-point between buying and selling).

PayPal on the other hand will reflect the buying rate of a currency if you are the seller and the selling rate if you are a buyer.  The difference between buying and selling a currency is called the spread - typically about 5% - divided between buyer paying 2.5% more and seller receiving 2.5% less.

Since the approximate local converted currency value shown on eBay is used by both buyer and seller, it appears to be the only fair way to do it.

It should also be noted that eBay's conversion value is set every morning and will not fluctuate during the day.  PayPal on the other hand will change the conversion value at different times during the day to reflect current market condition.

eBay's value is basically for information purposes to be used as a guideline

PayPal's value reflects what it actually costs the buyer or what the seller will receive.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

And of course the exchange on currencies changes constantly.

Further, the exchange offered will vary from business to business.

Here are some foreign exhange websites : why not look at the buy/sell prices on each. It will show you why you are dealing with guidelines rather than quotes.

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/cgi-bin/travel/currency-converter.pl

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=CAD

http://www.accu-rate.ca/rates.php?currency=CAD&to=USD

And then do the same again tomorrow. There will be changes.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

this is why i buy and sell in us dollars since i joined ebay.. it's like having a us bank account.. i stay away listing in canadian dollar and i find selling in us dollars you get more buyers.  Also not the sellers not doing anything except i know some us sellers raise the shipping cost 3 times that  of there own country to make profit. i try to stay away from those auctions.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for the explanation. 🙂  

Message 7 of 7
latest reply