Shipping

mianke57
Community Member

Has anyone else noted that sellers are marking items as shipped days before they are actually shipped?  Is this to get a high rating for shipping quickly?  I've had items marked as shipped up to 4 days before they actually were (I compared the post office stamp to when the seller marked the item as being shipped).

It appears these sellers want to "blame" the postal carriers and/or couriers for their own shipping delays.  Going forward I will give low shipping ratings to those who do not ship as quickly as they say they will and they will be reported to eBay (not that I expect them to do anything).

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Shipping

There is some validity in that. The problem is that Paypal and Ebay mark an item as "shipped" the day that you print a label at home.

A 4 day gap if it is during the week does seem to be unreasonable. But if there is a weekend in there, it may not be. No mail moves on the weekend, so I may get some packages ready to ship and not drop them off until Monday but on Ebay they will be shown as shipped as soon as I print a label.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Shipping

... And also when a package is drop at the post office after noon, it will be stamp only the next business day... at least that is the way my post office work !

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Shipping

If it is a tracked item, then it is scanned and it shows up.  Stamp mail or untracked parcels may only get stamped when the batch is processed, and could be the next day.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Shipping

Hello 'mianke57',

<<sellers are marking items as shipped days before they are actually shipped>>

As 'atvds' says, it could simply be that the printing of the label causes it to show up that way.

At the same time, part of the issue may be with how you interpret the term "shipped".

Obviously you feel it means the item has been presented and checked in at a post office.  For large

sellers, however, it can mean that the item has been wrapped, labelled, and tossed in a bin with several

thousand other orders to go out on the next truck.

Either way, you know you are not being forgotten or ignored and your item will be with you soon.

Me, I'm not too fussed about a little "delay".  A seller has 7 days to dispatch the item, according to ebay

guidelines.  Twice I have had sellers mark an item as 'shipped', but not mail it for a full 3 weeks after.

I suspect they did not know about the 21-day hold and that they are still supposed to ship the item anyway.

But I want items, not grievances, so if it eventually shows up as described I'm happy.

<<I will give low shipping ratings to those who do not ship as quickly as they say they will and they will be reported to eBay>>

That's your decision, of course, but it's a great way to end up on a lot of sellers' Blocked Bidder lists.

You may want to ask yourself what matters most to you, -- developing and maintaining good working relations

with as many sellers as possible, or kicking those sellers in the pants who are not crouched over their keyboards,

item in hand, just waiting to slap a sticker on it and get it in the mail to you.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Shipping

While you have valid points, when the seller advertises shipping within 24 hours yet takes 96 hours to ship, that's misleading to other potential buyers.  

The 4 days I was talking about was Monday (ordered on Sunday), yet was not shipped until Thursday.  Call it 3 days or 4 days, it's semantics.  If they want to take 7 days, then advertise 7 days, not 1 day.   

Imagine what would happen if they said "payment within 3 days" yet I took another 3 or 4 days to pay.  Think they would be satisfied with that?  Not likely.  What's good for the seller should also be good for the buyer, shouldn't it?

My point (that I think many have missed) is this: Don't take another 3 days to ship then blame it on the carriers (No, I do not work for the postal service or courier service and have no relations that work for them either).  If you're not going to ship until Thursday, why would you print a label on Monday? 

It's called "honesty" dmil8030.  Have we lost sight of that in today's day and age?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Shipping

Yes ''atvds'' !!!... you are right  

Message 7 of 7
latest reply