US Buyer will not return item without return label

I live in Canada. Buyer claims item not as described. He is incorrect, but I have accepted a return request. Now he says he will not send the item without a return label. I have told him I cannot send him one thru eBay, PayPal or the USPS. I spent an entire day waiting on the phone on hold to finally get thru to these companies, only to be told i cannot do it. I have asked him to get a quote for shipping and I will send money via PayPal. He says he will not, a return label is his only choice. Ebay sent an email saying a case has been opened, and it is on hold for 5  days, but it also says the buyer could get a decission in his favor if i do not work this out. Is this buyer trying to get a refund and keep the item? How can I work this out when the buyer refuses to work with me? This is so frustrating, I have removed all other items for sale, and am seriously considering never dealing with eBay ever again. This is a very expensive item.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Time to phone the Customer Service.

At this time of day you should get Utah.

Start by asking the clerk if she knows where Canada is, and that we have a different government and postal system

If she shows any confusion ask for a supervisor and repeat the question.

Utah is better than the Phillippines on language, but the clerks come out of the US educational 'system'. And Utah is .... well, let's not be nasty.

What you want is for eBay to explain to your customer that you cannot send him a postal return coupon because the Universal Postal Union does not work that way.

You actually can send a sort of return shipping coupon. It will confuse and annoy your unhappy customer even more, but you could buy from the Post Office (not outlet) International Postal Reply coupons to the value needed, and mail them to him.

Then he takes them to his PO and exchanges them for stamps. Note that the PO staff will never have seen these before and will be bafflied by them.

Or you could find a stamp dealer with the appropriate value in mint never hinged US postage stamps and mail those to your customer.

Good luck with any of those scenarios.

Hmm. If the problem is damage-- would you accept photos? And would your customer accept a partial refund?

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

On another thread, a poster suggested calling courier services until you find one that will supply a return coupon for a US customer. That might work.

Be sure to tell the customer that the parcel should be marked" RETURNED MERCHANDISE" or you will be hit with steep brokerage charges.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply