Vaporizer that doesn't work?

I ordered a vaporizer for smoking my "herbs" and after attempting to use it several times, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't work. I contacted the seller and he gave me some tips to try, which I did, but it's still not working. Now I contacted him again letting him know my findings, and he hasn't gotten back to me in a week. 

So here's my predicament, I can't return it because it has residue on it, yet I would certainly like to have my money refunded for the dud product. How do I go about dealing with this?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Vaporizer that doesn't work?

It sounds like there were no instructions with it. If that's the case, then is there a company / manufacturer name, model number, or website printed on it or the packaging? If there's a website try that, and if not then try to do a web search for it to see if you can find out more about it and trouble-shooting info. If all that fails then do you have any friends that can have a look at it to see what might be wrong with it? Or maybe is there a shop in your town that sells smoking accessories that could give you some help even though you didn't purchase it from them? Some of these shops may be nice enough to do that for you.

When it comes to dealing with a return and/or refund I'm not experienced or knowledgeable enough to know what may be possible in this case, so maybe someone else will reply and help you out with what to do next.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

For the record, eBay does not allow selling these products.

Go ahead an open an Item Not As Described dispute. You'll be no worse off.

The seller is required to pay for a Return Shipping Label, but if he is not in Canada this is impossible.

If the seller doesn't provide a means of returning the pipe, he loses the case and you are refunded.

If he does, you return the pipe with proof of delivery, and when it shows returned, you are refunded.

Do NOT accept an offer of a replacement. It probably won't work either.

KISS.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I don't know what to say about this being an item prohibited on eBay. Maybe eBay should have removed the listing if it was deemed inappropriate. There were literally thousands of other listings for vaporizers when I was looking. I guess someone's been slacking on the job!

I understand the general return process on eBay but I can't return something that has been "contaminated". I can't put it in the mail now that it has residue on it. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Can't you clean it off?  Or take it apart and bleach clean all the pieces?  If that sounds like the dumbest thing you've ever heard it is only because I am not 100% sure what it is, what it looks like, or how it is used.  Usually a run through the dishwasher will clean up anything, but like I said, I may be out of my depth here. 

I would think the same basic principles apply for ANY Not AS Described case.  Take for example a hand cream.  What if there is something in it that burns the skin?  Even though the product has been opened and used, the buyer can still return it.  Or like a defective CD that won't play.  Sometimes they come new out of the factory that way. 

As the other person said, you can try opening a Not As Described case.  One of 2 things should happen,

either the seller pays for your return shipping (if you don't use the label or the money to buy one, the seller gets it back)

or you are just refunded if the seller ignores you. 

Then read up on eBay's prohibited items because I can't say since I don't really know what the item is for.  I know you can't sell those particular herbs (obviously!) but the various things you might use with it may be OK by itself. 

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/items-ov.html

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

It's here:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/tobacco.html

Not allowed

• Any item containing tobacco and intended for consumption

• Blunts or cigar wraps

• Chewing tobacco

• Cigarettes (including flavored cigarettes)

• Cigars

• Dipping tobacco

• Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) or accessories

• Herbal cigarettes or herbal tobacco (sometimes called nicotine-free cigarettes or tobacco-free cigarettes)

• Hookah or Shisha molasses that contains tobacco

Vaping is pretty popular here in BC, but most people stay away from tobacco.

Ummm --'blunts' ? I did not know that term was used for a tobacco product too.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

All this talk about tobacco and herbs.  Do they mean just that or are they trying to say "pot"?  

Its not a dirty word, and as far as I know it is perfectly legal to sell the tools, like a new hookah (there's a place on Quadra that has them), but there could be a problem mailing one that has "residue" which wouldn't be allowed.  That's why I thought it might come off in the dishwasher.

I'm pretty certain the OP would not be able to say "I've done something illegal with this and can't mail it back but I want a refund all the same".  I guess that's what I'm getting at.  

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Legality is moot.

The vape itself is legal.

As I understand it, you need a doctor's prescription to buy pot legally.

Although the number of dispensaries here in Victoria seems to indicate that doctors are pretty free with those prescriptions.

And it is legal, or at any rate not prosecuted, to have a small amount in your possession for personal use, but not for resale.

And you probably won't be prosecuted for buying for personal use, but again, you need a license to grow for resale.

So, moot.

But that's in Canada.

Shipping residue to the USA might cause excitement among the sniffer dogs at the US customs office.

And the seller might not appreciate a visit from customs, or the DEA, because of his personal lifestyle choices.

Like having a stash in his desk drawer  when the narcs come calling.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Just to update y'all the seller ended up refunding me without making me return it. Problem solved. Thanks for the advice and debate!
Message 9 of 9
latest reply