WHATS WITH THE IMPORT CHARGE,

WHATS WITH THE IMPORT CHARGES, RIP OFF, CONTACTED A SELLER FOR SHIPPING, WHICH HAS THE SAME ITEM LISTED WITH SHIPPING AND IMPORT CHARGE TO CANADA. HIS ANSWER WAS " WE US GLOBAL SHIPPING CHECK WITH THEM FOR A QUOTE"   THAT IS A GOOD ANSWER. ALL HE HAD TO DO IS LOOK AT HIS OTHER ITEM AND CHARGE ME THE SAME.  THINK ITS TIME TO LEAVE WITH THESE IMPORT CHARGE.    REGARD  JOHN

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

There are many long threads about this new program which is unpopular with buyers.

There are a few things that most of those objecting to the program do not seem to realize.

The "extra" money you are being charged only kick in if the item you buy costs over $20(CDN). If that number sounds familiar, it's because that is the level at which Canadian sales taxes and duty kicks in.

If your seller were to ship by Canada Post, CP would add their fee of $9.95 to that amount.

If your seller were to ship by UPS or another courier, that fee would be about $25 or more.

However, Canada Post is notorious for not bothering to process these fees/duty/taxes, and so many buyers have never actually been charged.

It's like running a red light on a suburban road at 2 am. There is a law in place, but the chances of being caught are slim.

The Global Shipping Program does give you an idea of its cost, but not until you have actually entered the transaction. This is because sales tax varies from province to province (55 to 15%) and because foreign exchange also varies from day to day.

If the seller indicated Flat Rate Shipping the GPS won't know your location.

While your seller was being lazy, in fact he cannot be sure what your costs would be without your location. Nor does eBay require him to be (must and should are two different concepts).  We are all responsible to know our own country's duty and tax policies.

For what it's worth, I have also been avoiding sellers who use the GPS. I'll take my chances with Canada Post's sloppy process.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Great post as usual, Femme. However, I think it would be best for the sake of clarity to state that it's not actually Canada Post charging the taxes and ten dollar processing fee but, rather, the Canada Border Services Agency. Canada Post just collects what the taxman hath billeth, although I'm sure they see some if not most or all that ten dollar fee come back to them. (It's been so long since I've seen an invoice from CBSA that I can't remember what it looks like.)

In short, it's not "Canada Post's sloppy process" but, rather, CBSA's.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You are correct mamotom! Folks, please do not blame Canada Post. It is a CUSTOMS issue. I did make a purchase with this Global Shipping Program once (oops too late!) and as near as I could tell from my invoice, the money went to Pitney Bowes.
i know I will never again buy from a seller that is using it.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply