What are your thoughts???

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
I recently had someone from someone in Canada requesting a shipping rate for an auction. So I gladly sent them a rate. I am also in Canada so I use Canada Post rates for the item which is $15.32 cdn. so I quote $15.50U.S. to help cover my packing expenses. So then the fun starts with another e-mail from the person bashing me for outrageous shipping charges bla-bla-bla. I don't think this is outrageous but what do you think? I can see alot of trouble coming if this person won so I have blocked them from bidding.
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

hhind_design
Community Member
The problem is many Canadian buyers THINK that intraCanada shipping should be cheaper than say US-Canada Shipping.

There are a lot of CDN buyers who just have NO CLUE as to how much it costs to ship here at home.

I've been raked over the coals by many such ignorant people and there's not too much you can do about it.

You did the right thing to block them upfront. The worst is when they bid and then complain after they win and tank your stars - after you LOST money to ship their item out (flat rate lower than actual postage).

Sometimes, when dealing with these people I try and educate them. I will send them to the calculate a rate area at the CP site armed with the dimensions and weight and my postal code so they can see for themselves.

It placates some but the others, who are looking for a fight, will say the dimensions must be wrong.

Sigh.

blue logo
I am the guardian of my children and their future. It is for this reason that I scrapbook.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
heatherhind is correct. Most Canadians DO NOT realize that shipping within Canada is more expensive than if we shipped to the States FROM Canada.

Mind you...Canada Post DOES NOT help when they put an advertisement on TV boasting that we have the lowest shipping rates of most countries. Misleading at best.

Information, information, information is the key!

Have a good one!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
Thanks for your replies. Yes I do believe I did the right thing. This just keeps getting better.

First let me explain: I am listed on E-bay.com but I live in Canada which is not a big deal. I recently changed the location on my listings to read Buffalo, Ny. since most of my sales go to the U.S. and it allows me to add the USPS shipping calculator onto the auctions. I live just across the border in Canada but I ship all U.S. and International sales from Buffalo because it's much cheaper and faster than Canada Post. ANYWAY...

I receive another e-mail from this person says Quote:

Well I'm not a happy camper.
However I have paid this morning on paypal.
I shall be sure not to do business with you again.
I shall not give you any feed back good or bad !

So obviously this person has me confused with another seller but that's not all. I point out to them that I am now confused by their response and also point out that they may have me confused with another seller and it turns out they did and

They reply:

Oops, I apologize.
I DO have sellers mixed up.
I pd for another item this morning.
I thought you were in Ontario but you are in Buffalo ?
That's why I thought shipping was too high.
Again I apologize profusely !

So I reply:

I am in Ontario but my auctions show the location as Buffalo because 99% of the items I sell go to the U.S. This allows me to use the U.S. Postal Service calculator on the auctions. The fact still remains that you feel my shipping costs are too high and I can respect that.
Thanks.

Needless to say I am still keeping this person blocked because if they did bid and win I feel I would still have problems.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Hi. I haven't read your buyer's email so have no idea how things were said said but am asking myself why you didn't just tell her exactly what the shipping costs were, exactly what your handling charges were and what they pay for?

I had a customer email to comment about how high the shipping was about a month ago. It was unusually high because her items were heavier than most of the books I sell so I emailed her back and explained everything in detail. She sent back a friendly response saying she now understood and was ok with it. She was happy with her items, left positive feedback which did not appear to change my DSR's and she has come back since to buy more!
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
Hi craftcatsattic:
I did explain to them the exact shipping cost charged by Canada Post which was $15.32 and also gave them the package size and weight along with my postal code so they could confirm the rate on the Canada Post web page.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply