When can I list 50 items a month for FREE on eBay? Only allowed to list 10, why?

I signed up to be able to list 50 items a month for FREE on eBay, but only allowed to list 10, why? Very unfair to advertise a person can list 50 items for FREE, then just allow them to list 10 and block the other 40. There was no number of days indicated that a person has to wait to be able to list 50 items for FREE. How many membership days does an eBayer need to wait until 50 FREE listings are allowed?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

When can I list 50 items a month for FREE on eBay? Only allowed to list 10, why?

A new seller has to prove herself to eBay (and to her customers) before the restrictions are lifted.

It's number of successful sales in given categories, not days.

You probably also have restrictions on the value of the listings you are allowed.

And when you sell something, your customer's cleared payment will be Held by Paypal for 21 days against your customer's satisfaction.

This serves both you and your customers.

New scammers sellers have been known to take the money, ship nothing, and disappear. While eBay/PP will cover the buyers' losses, it means the site, and all the other honest and experienced sellers are tarred with the same brush.

Also eBay loses money. They hate that.

That sounded judgemental. It is, but not at you personally.

This is business.

Go back and read your Agreement.

The number of sales, the value of sales, the Hold on payments, the fees (you did know you will pay fees on your sales, right?) all are in the agreement.

You also can't sell overseas yet.

And you probably haven't found the advanced selling form either.

And before you try selling, do a little buying here.

Buy things you will need for selling. Poly or bubble envelopes, a metric digital scale, discount postage, pretty stickers to seal your envelopes, printer ink.

This will give you a better idea of your future customer's experience buying here. Then decide which sellers made your purchases pleasant and follow their lead. This is especially important if you have never worked in retail.

You will be  building your feedback, a measure of trustworthiness in itself, but also a protection against scamming buyers. They are nowhere near the majority, but they exist and they feed on newbies.

Well, maybe I'm not a fancy gentleman like you, with your... very fine hat. But I do business. We're here for business.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

When I joined I thought it was a pretty sneaky thing to do.  I was very upset.  BUT, I found after about a month, that I asks if the number of items could be increased, it was to 50 right away (I'm pretty positive), then about a month later because I happened to do well (in the beginning) I called again and had it increased to 100...even though I didn't have 100 items to sell.

If you call them, they may ask you to wait the first time, and then depending on who you get on the line, just explain WHY you want more listings, come across that you have some sort of business plan (I think they asked me for one, to mail in, but it was very simple questions.  I guess they want to make sure you're serious.

Good luck!

CarlaSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Carla,
This post is older and not "active" any more. It hasn't been replied to since 03-29-2016 - 19 days ago.
Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply