Why does ebay hate Canadians?

As the subject line says, why does eBay hate Canadians? Why do we get gouged on shipping, screwed on the new BS "import duties," then given a final reaming on delivery? An item an American pays $60 for will cost a Canadian over $100. I know because I just paid that bill! And that's not even including extortion fees from the crime syndicate known as UPS. Or conversion fees from the banks. Or PayPal fees. 

And please don't say "if you don't like getting screwed, then just don't buy on eBay." That's a cop-out.

I've been buying on eBay for ten years, and I am done. When you add up all the backrage fees that eBay charges, plus insane shipping, plus duty, and whatever else they slap on in the future (fuel surcharge? administration fee? eBay logo colourization fee?), it just isn't worth it. When you slap a 40% increase on every purchase, it's just not economical. I'll take an ad out in the paper **bleep**. 

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Why does ebay hate Canadians?

"How about "none of the above"."

For me it is ABH (Anybody But Harper)

I could even vote for the Progressive-Conservative (not the reform coalition) under the right leadership.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

I'd like to know why we buy from Canadian sellers and then they convert to US $$ which costs me more with exchange rate. I buy on EBAY.CA another way to screw us

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

"they convert to US $$"

Payment is made in the currency on the listings.

Most Canadian sellers chose to list in US$ because it is the universal currency, understood everywhere, more so in the USA, the largest marketplace for eBay. 

You will find some Canadian sellers listing in Cdn$.

When a Canadian buyer purchases from a Canadian seller and the currency of the listing is US$, many sellers will offer the buyer the opportunity to pay in equivalent Canadian dollar using current foreign exchange rate.  You need to read the listings carefully to see if the seller offers such payment option.

However, because the automated system requires payment in the currency of the listing, payment cannot be done with PayPal through the listing.  It requires a special manual invoice be sent by the seller and calculated in Canadian currency.  Then the seller has to manually advise eBay that payment has been received.

Because of the extra work involved, many Canadian sellers simply do not bother although it does cost them the same exchange conversion spread.

For example, on a US$ 20.00 transaction, the currency conversion fee (spread) would be about $0.55 paid by the buyer.  The seller would also pay that extra $0.55 fee when converting the US$ received from the buyer into Cdn$.  The total conversion spread charged by PayPal is about 5% (2.5% each to buyer and seller).  That of course is in addition to the actual cost of purchasing a foreign currency (US$).

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

The "brokerage" fees that UPS and Fedex charge are ONLY on the ground shipments used by cheap buyers. Pay for the expedited/express and the fee is included as part of the service level. Better yet, ask the seller if they'll ship to canada via USPS (and not thru the global shipping program) before going to buy the item.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

A better question would be "why does eBay hate sellers".

A new round of changes to the policies is, once again, weighted to the buyer.

I rent space on eBay to sell items.

I also rent space in a mall.

The mall places few restrictions, if any, on my business.

Ebay, on the other hand, seems to think they own my business.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

"Why does ebay hate Canadians?"

"A better question would be "why does eBay hate sellers"."

???

From my perspective, a better question would be: Why so much paranoia?

Canada is home to thirty-five million people.  There are over seven billion on Earth.  That means Canada accounts for less than one half of one percent of the total population of the world.

eBay is an American business offering worldwide buyers and sellers the opportunity to buy and sell on their venue. Their policies are made using the American way of doing business, adapted for international trade.

Canadians wishing to use this venue should adapt to its way of doing business and its policies or find another venue to trade.

Good Luck with that.

It is not personal.  It is business.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

I remember the 'good old days' with eBay long ago. It was great, it was fun, it was prosperous.

Then, things changed.

- I was forced to use PayPal and I didn't want to. For years cheques had worked well and I never had a problem. 

- As one of the other posters mentioned, suddenly buyers can give bad reports on a seller, but not a seller about a buyer and there are bad buyers out there and I and I am sure others would like to know about it, but we can't.

- Then bidders IDs were disguised and that allowed shill bidding. Before that changed I had caught 4 shill bidders. With their ID hidden, it was impossible.

That's when I said 'enough was enough' and I quit. 

Later I heard that you were told what the shipping should cost. But it didn't work that way, in reality, not when you are double boxing or triple boxing an item.

Then there was the policy that if the customer didn't get the item, even with proof in some cases that it was shipped, you still had to pay the money back! 

I had my own personal incident with a buyer in California that I shipped and expensive statue to. He said it arrived broken, which I couldn't understand because I had bubble wrapped it like King Tut and double boxed it with bubble wrap between the boxes. He sent photos, not good ones, but I said ok ship it back. When it arrived and I looked at the breaks they were old breaks where the colour had changed. It takes years for a fresh break in porcelain to change colour. I figured out what he was doing, which was shipping me his old statue that was broken and keeping the new one I had sent. I emailed him and told him to forget it, no payment back. He emails back he will take me to court in California and the only way I can defend myself is go to California or hire a lawyer to represent me there. Neither were options which means I would lose by default. At that time he said he would damage my credit rating. I have a perfect credit rating so I looked into if he could from the US and ......he could. So I had to pay him back near 800 bucks. I looked up his name and address and found he was a lawyer in California and then I looked up the cases he defended, all drug dealers and forgers and assorted other lowlifes. Obviously he had learned from them.

eBay made other changes as well that had an effect on sellers. There was a woman who use to be a poster here and she use to sell patterns for it was either knitting or sewing, I can't quite remember. But then the new rules said she had to put the patterns on a disc instead of sending it by email to the buyer. The disc, the packaging wasn't worth it anymore and she was forced to quit.

eBay as I said use to be great and I really enjoyed it, but it changed, got greedy, cared less and less about the sellers.When it's not broke....don't fix it!

Photobucket
Message 27 of 29
latest reply

You forgot to mention the high fees or do you consider them reasonable? PP fees are even applied to the shipping portion of the payment. 5¢ & 10¢ing
"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Ebay no more hates Canadians than the typical American hates Canadians. 

With our open border a typical American is getting hard to find and when you do find one, they speak Spanish...

Message 29 of 29
latest reply