eBay Bucks gone

Just got an email from eBay saying the eBay Bucks program is being retired in Canada, effective March 31.

After the removal of the TRS badge on eBay.com, this seems like another 'middle finger' move.

I buy much of my inventory on eBay, and it was always nice to get something back every third month.

Very unimpressed.   😞

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: eBay Bucks gone

Just got the same email.The funny part is "difficult decision".Difficult decision for ebay ?

Just curious is this "difficult decision" just for Canadian buyers or for whole ebay,incl.ebay USA ?:-(

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

oilergirl90
Community Member

I'm extremely upset by this! eBay screws Canadians yet again!  Why should I still come here??? X-(

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

One of the few nice things about ebay....now deceased....so sad.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

eBay won't want to hear it, but a move like this pushes someone like me to pursue more transactions off the radar.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

No Canuck Bucks, eh?  Oh well.  as a buyer, the program wasn't much of an enticement for me to buy anything other than what I would have purchased anyway.  It was like getting Canadian Tire money with an expiration date.  I hope our buyers see it the same way and we aren't left at a further disadvantage out there in ebay world. 

As a Canadian, though, I gotta say, I feel a little bruised.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

oilergirl90
Community Member

I could have handled the news a million times better if they ended the program for BOTH the US and Canada.  But this way makes us feel really unimportant to eBay. All the perks always go to the US. 😞

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

I'm worried it's a sign of things to come for us registered with ebay.ca 😞

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Yeah... got the same e-mail from eBay.ca telling me that the eBay bucks wll stop at end of March.  That`s quite a pity as it had been nice getting a little bit (like Canadian Tire money) to use as offset on shipping or buying a bit with that.

I even got a couple of books with shipping covered from England with eBucks in whole.  So, I`m bit disappointed with their decision in scrapping this program!  I wonder if the same program for the U.S. alone will go on in action still?

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

i think it is just we tried didn't work byebye and like puck wrote before it is bound to eventually go byebye elsewhere ... There is a big difference with Canada to the US in many way one major one being the population....

I will nevert stop buying good deals no matter what they do .. If i finds the best deal elsewhere i will go there but if i find the best deal on ebay i will stil buy there.. going somewhere else to pay more because of 2% ebay bucks m,akes no sense ...

People might say it's not fair but realy how much is 2% REALLY .. Most buyers spend a couple 100 in which you probably save 0-10% off retail and did not have to gas up the car and travel to the nearest store it make no sense no worry about 2% ebay bucks .. IT was nice well it lasted but doesn't change anything for me and for the most part i sell my stuff at 5%-25% less then retail so I would assume it won't stop to many of my cusatomers either ...

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I will take bets that the 2% will be discontinued on ebay.com as well.

It is a dumb incentive that they pulled out from under their 'partners' like ebates. Best to give it back to those sites that drive business to ebay.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Just another example of the american "hump the flag and screw those who are not american" attitude...whatchagunnado....NO ONE will boycott, NO ONE will pursue this beyond some minor griping....revolutions never happen anymore because there are no revolutionaries to be found.....

And let`s face it, this world could use a few about now.

just sayin.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Wow if only Canadians felt like this about real world issues maybe we wouldn't have such high HST in certain provinces... .. How about food and heating bills .. Wait 2% ebay bucks I forgot...

What is the big deal people.Ebay has been around for years without it .. The program tried and failed big whoop it's 2% which makes a difference of almost nothing ...

Americans Have it better.. IN WHAT WORLD ...

Most sellers on here have items for way less then retail so everyone will still shop.. Boycott for what so you can pay 30% more at a retail store...

This program will crumble everywhere just give it time people ...

Still Millions of deal to be had on ebay without the 2% rebate

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

spoken like a true seller....guess it does not affect you huh?

Say, you are selling a dvd for 13 bucks, but the next seller is american and selling for 13 bucks plus ebay bucks incentive......I gotta say, you would be the second consideration if I was in the market for that dvd.....

Hey, maybe it does affect you.....but you probably don't care.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

It does add up.Most sellers are buyers and I enjoyed spending my bucks. 🙂 But I have found another way to earn back 1%. Can't post it here tho.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

HoHoHO!!  It just occured to me as to why eBay had to retire the eBucks for the Canadians and one of their reasons is that it didn't meet the community value or whatever it mean, is that eBay DID NOT expect us to spend way more than they expect, and way more than the American buyers and eBay is having a hard time in redeeming us with too much $$$ and eBay didn't want to lose any more of $$$ to Canadians!!  😉

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Cui bono?

Who benefits?

The OP mentioned that since he buys for resale, the 2% was worthwhile for his bottom line, but did it really encourage more or larger sales to most consumers?

And whose profits did the discount come from? Not the sellers, so it would have a (small) effect on the eBay bookkeeping.

There were also enough questions about the program and about buyers not getting the Bucks they expected, that the labour costs may have been too high to make the program viable.

No consumer demand and low profitability? Why should eBay bother?

I can see that in a category with comps, the eBay Bucks might make a customer decide to go with the US seller over the Canadian, but we still have that problem with postage which I believe would be more important .

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

cbsalesnb
Community Member

My guess is that they simply did not see the same increase in sales that they did in the USA, and so it wasn't a profitable endeavor.

The idea is they give a little back, get more sales, and in turn make more money in the end. Guessing that didn't happen.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply