eBay Spring 2017 seller update

Hi Canadian sellers,

This is the thread reserved for discussion around the 2017 Spring Seller Update announced today.

Read the Update,

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: eBay Spring 2017 seller update

When comparing the seller update announcements on eBay.com and eBay.ca, I noticed for store fee for computers categories that eBay.com stayed the same at 4% but it went up on eBay.ca to 4.15%.

Is this correct or is it a typo?

Message 2 of 61
latest reply

@troutotronic wrote:

Hi Canadian sellers,

This is the thread reserved for discussion around the 2017 Spring Seller Update announced today.

Read the Update

If you are part of eBay Canada, when are we going to have weekly chat sessions again? They are needed now to be able to get answers to Canadian issues that happen daily on the eBay.ca Canada site!!!!

Message 3 of 61
latest reply

Good catch, pocomocomputing!

They're the same. It will be fixed shortly. 

Message 4 of 61
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi folks

I'll be around over the next few days to try to help respond to your questions. 

Russ Patterson (aka rodney@ebay.com)

Message 5 of 61
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi folks

I'll be around over the next few days to try to help respond to your questions. 

Russ Patterson (aka rodney@ebay.com)

When will weekly sessions be available again? I know this is off topic but please give some kind of answer on this issue! No communication from eBay Canada for months on this. It is important.

Message 6 of 61
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pocomocomputing.

We'll be back on the boards with a weekly recurring thread starting the week of March 20th. 🙂

Message 7 of 61
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@troutotronic wrote:

Hi Canadian sellers,

Read the Update

If you are part of eBay Canada, when are we going to have weekly chat sessions again? They are needed now to be able to get answers to Canadian issues that happen daily on the eBay.ca Canada site!!!!

I accidentally opened this thread with one of my personal trading ID's. Troutotronic and rodney@ebay are both me. Smiley Surprised

My real name is Russ Patterson, and I'm the COO & Director of Product Management for eBay Canada. I've been working for ebay, based here in Toronto for 15 years + 5 days now. 

I'm very excited to re-launch our presence on the boards. I'd like to thank all the regulars for your patience. As you can imagine, it was not easy replacing a guy like Raphael! 

Message 8 of 61
latest reply

Hi Russ,

I don't list on ebay.com and I'm not US Top Rated. Why do I have to wait until summer to realize whatever benefits are available from Promoted Listings when my fees will increase much sooner with the loss of half of my eBay Global top-rated seller discount?  I cannot be the only eBay Canada seller in this boat. Where's our bone in this? 

And when might we finally see Promotions Manager over here?

I often feel as if my loyalty to eBay Canada goes unreturned. 

Thanks,

Maureen

Message 9 of 61
latest reply

I totally agree with you. This seller update has absolutely no benefit for me either. I only list on ebay.ca. Just see increases. Now we are going to get only 10% Top Rated Seller discount instead of 20%.  And Increasing supplies credit for stores isn't much of a help either. 

Message 10 of 61
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Hi Russ,

I don't list on ebay.com and I'm not US Top Rated. Why do I have to wait until summer to realize whatever benefits are available from Promoted Listings when my fees will increase much sooner with the loss of half of my eBay Global top-rated seller discount?  I cannot be the only eBay Canada seller in this boat. Where's our bone in this? 

Thanks,

Maureen

Hi Maureen

I appreciate your loyalty!

I wish we could have timed things to turn an ebay.ca promoted listings feature on at the same time as the price change goes into effect, but we can't. The feature is not yet ready to launch on ebay.ca. But Promoted Listings will be here soon!  

Promotions Manager for Canada is not in plan for 2017. Bringing it to Canada requires re-architecting the solution so that the offers it creates can span multiple sites. For our sellers, offers must span ca and cafr at minimum, and realistically com as well in order to have utility for the majority of our sellers. 

eBay's product resources are finite and with so many different priorities, it can be very challenging to get a project funded. Unfortunately, we were not able to get it above the line this year. I know this is a top ask from our sellers, so we won't give up and will continue to press for this.

Message 11 of 61
latest reply

Wow ebay. I am already scratching my head to figure out how to make a penny and keep a high standard. Now you reward me with higher final value fees and a "LOSS" of 10% for being a good seller. This is supposed to benefit me how?? For someone that has been selling on ebay since 2001, I think that may be the last straw on my back and it's do time to pack it in. I am fee-d to death from ebay to paypal. I better hide my first born 😞 

Message 12 of 61
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Hi Russ,

Thanks,

Maureen

Hi Maureen

I wish we could have timed things to turn an ebay.ca promoted listings feature on at the same time as the price change goes into effect, but we can't. The feature is not yet ready to launch on ebay.ca. But Promoted Listings will be here soon!  

Promotions Manager for Canada is not in plan for 2017. Bringing it to Canada requires re-architecting the solution so that the offers it creates can span multiple sites. For our sellers, offers must span ca and cafr at minimum, and realistically com as well in order to have utility for the majority of our sellers. 

eBay's product resources are finite and with so many different priorities, it can be very challenging to get a project funded. Unfortunately, we were not able to get it above the line this year. I know this is a top ask from our sellers, so we won't give up and will continue to press for this.

Thank you, Russ.

While I am disappointed to learn Promotions Manager is not waiting in the wings for a roll-out to coincide with Promoted Listings, I thank you for the update.

Now, was I dreaming when I read the part about updates to handling time settings with this Spring Update on ebay.com? I don't see any of those changes reflected here on embay.ca. Or perhaps I just overlooked them. If so, can you point me in the right direction? They are of particular interest to me since I offer same-day dispatch and ship seven days a week. 

Thanks again,

Maureen 

Message 13 of 61
latest reply

I found the 2017 Spring Seller Update to be hugely disappointing. I was hoping for some proactive announcements that would be beneficial to sellers and store owners.

I was especially hopeful there would be an addition to the store lineup between the premium and anchor levels, bridging what is a huge gap between those levels. I even held out some (faint) hope that eBay would repeal, or at reduce, its unfair fee on shipping costs.

But I found nothing in the update that was encouraging. There is a 50% reduction in the discount for eBay's best sellers, which, by any measure, is an odd way for a company to reward its top revenue earners. There is also the trumpeting of a new vehicle that will allow sellers to promote their listings for a fee (upon sale). I suspect this will  be a benefit to sellers, but only the largest of sellers offering trendy items.

I realize fully this is eBay's game and eBay's rules, and sellers can choose to play or not. I choose to play and I will continue playing. But I wish eBay would have offered some encouragement rather than a clawback. 

If there are small or medium size sellers who did find positives in the update, I would appreciate it if you would post them. I would thrilled to find out I missed something good.

Message 14 of 61
latest reply

Please allow me to butt-in. Third-party advertising -- the offebay sites that drag buyers away from our listings to purchase often from direct competition -- will be eliminated. That is good news. 

Message 15 of 61
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Please allow me to butt-in. Third-party advertising -- the offebay sites that drag buyers away from our listings to purchase often from direct competition -- will be eliminated. That is good news. 

Read very carefully as it is not being eliminated totally and I have a hunch many will be replaced by promoted listings.

Message 16 of 61
latest reply

It seemed clear to me it was being replaced by Promoted Listings. I don't have a problem competing against other eBay sellers but large third-party corporations I do.
Message 17 of 61
latest reply

Perhaps Russ can clarify this for us.
Message 18 of 61
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjwl2006 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Hi Russ,

Thanks,

Maureen

Hi Maureen

Thank you, Russ.

While I am disappointed to learn Promotions Manager is not waiting in the wings for a roll-out to coincide with Promoted Listings, I thank you for the update.

Now, was I dreaming when I read the part about updates to handling time settings with this Spring Update on ebay.com? I don't see any of those changes reflected here on embay.ca. Or perhaps I just overlooked them. If so, can you point me in the right direction? They are of particular interest to me since I offer same-day dispatch and ship seven days a week. 

Thanks again,

Maureen 

Hi Maureen

The US standards program is indeed increasing the tracking requirements. The details for this are on the pages on ebay.com. On our Performance Standards page, we noted that Canadian sellers will remain exempt from the tracking upload requirement. 

This means that if a Canadian registered seller can meet all the requirements of the US Top Rated standards program other than the tracking upload requirement, then that seller will still qualify for the Top Rated seller discount, and it will apply to any listings they create on either ebay.ca or ebay.com. As before, we the Top Rated Plus seal on ebay.com will only show up if you also meet the tracking upload requirements. 

Hope that helps.

Russ

Message 19 of 61
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@4991jack wrote:

I found the 2017 Spring Seller Update to be hugely disappointing. I was hoping for some proactive announcements that would be beneficial to sellers and store owners.

I was especially hopeful there would be an addition to the store lineup between the premium and anchor levels, bridging what is a huge gap between those levels. I even held out some (faint) hope that eBay would repeal, or at reduce, its unfair fee on shipping costs.

But I found nothing in the update that was encouraging. There is a 50% reduction in the discount for eBay's best sellers, which, by any measure, is an odd way for a company to reward its top revenue earners. There is also the trumpeting of a new vehicle that will allow sellers to promote their listings for a fee (upon sale). I suspect this will  be a benefit to sellers, but only the largest of sellers offering trendy items.

I realize fully this is eBay's game and eBay's rules, and sellers can choose to play or not. I choose to play and I will continue playing. But I wish eBay would have offered some encouragement rather than a clawback. 

If there are small or medium size sellers who did find positives in the update, I would appreciate it if you would post them. I would thrilled to find out I missed something good.

Hi 4991jack

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. I'm intrigued by the idea of a new stores tier. I don't think I've heard that suggestion before, and I think it's interesting. I will share that idea with the stores team. 

To be totally honest, I don't expect we'll move away from fees on total cost any time soon, because it all but eliminated the problem of excessive shipping. Churned buyers told us that the $1 items with $100 shipping were a huge turn-off, and it was obviously a fee avoidance problem for ebay's bottom line as well.

There is an interesting way to make this work for you a little bit if you are a typical Canadian seller, with most of your sales going to US and international buyers, and a smaller share domestically.

If you list on ebay.ca, and are able to build enough margin into your item price to offer free shipping to domestic buyers, and then add a US and/or INTL shipping service to the listings that covers the difference between the domestic price build into your item price and the expected average price for US and INTL shipments, there is a cross-border rule for final value fees that can work in your favour. In this scenario, if a Canadian buys the item, you pay FVF on item only - but since you added domestic shipping to your item price, you are effectively paying exactly the same FVF. But if you then sell an item to a US or international buyer, then we will apply FVF to the lower of the actual shipping charged, or the cost of your first domestic shipping service. Since your first domestic service in our example is "free shipping", then you won't pay any FVF on the US or international shipping charge. You'll pay FVF on the item price, with the cost of domestic shipping baked into it, but nothing on the extra charges for your US or INTL buyers. 

I've worked with some sellers who take this further, and actually lose a little bit on their domestic shipping margin deliberately, so that they can save even more on their overall FVF on their export sales, and ultimately subsidize their domestic shipping with their FVF savings. 

That's a little bit convoluted, but the point is that with the majority of sales being exports for most sellers, it's possible for some sellers to develop strategies to minimize their overall FVF by manipulating item price, domestic shipping and export shipping to their advantage. 

Message 20 of 61
latest reply