ebay immediate payment required?

pistel
Community Member

hi there, just a small question and hope some one can help me out. I listed a few things this morning and had a buyer want a few items. I do cobine shipping so told him buy away and ill send out invice after. Buyer told me he cant because ebay says immediate payment required. But I checked and I don't have that option checked and sould be no plrobelm. I check all the items he wanted and none of the items are immediate payment required yet buyer ended up having to buy all 1 at a time and pay for them and I needed to refund all the shipping over charge. Any idea on what happened?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

"Any idea on what happened?"

Yes. That is the new eBay policy in effect.  Did I ever say "stupid policy"?

http://announcements.ebay.com/2013/03/2013-spring-seller-update-free-listings-for-all-sellers/ 

"Reducing the impact of unpaid items: Over the coming months, to reduce the occurrence of unpaid items, eligible fixed price, Best Offer and Buy It Now items will co...early as two days after the item sold. "

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

pistel
Community Member

well how do sellers combine shipping then?

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I think I lose some sale to because of this thing.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

eBay gets the final value fees on all of those shipping charges, even if refunded to the buyer, unless you have free domestic shipping.  And they won't refund them either.

And PayPal gets an extra 30 cents transaction fee for each listing.

And buyers get ticked off at the sellers because they think we are not allowing the items to be combined.

Stupid policy is absolutely right.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

I wonder if the person that came up with this policy ever sold a item on ebay 😞

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Not to get too technical about this, but I thought the policy was being rolled out starting May 1st.  Is it possible your buyer (was he/she in the U.S.) was having a problem because of the poor way the US shopping cart meshes with eBay.ca?  I've had exactly this scenario happen at least twice over the last few months.

In any case, my understanding was that a buyer can still use the "Request Total" button, although from my recent purchase of some items on eBay.com, I noticed that button has become much smaller and less conspicuous -- perhaps eBay's attempt to discourage people from not paying immediately.  Now you really have to look for that button, even if you know it's there.

I also noticed a couple of interesting things on the eBay.com update that may or may not soon apply to eBay.ca:

(a) a complete change in the way "Best Offer" functions, starting with 3 high-end categories (interestingly, they mention this new policy may be extended to other categories), which allows multiple concurrent offers; and

(b) the ability to exclude certain buyers from Unpaid Item Assistant -- assuming the seller has opted into this -- so that those buyers can take more time to pay.  I'm not sure this is much help (you have to know your buyer(s) in advance!).  Personally I think the Unpaid Item Assistant will make for bad customer relations, but eBay is promoting it in conjunction with the new immediate payment policy.

For reference, here's the section regarding combined/multiple purchases, from the link Pierre noted above:

" Eligible transactions [for the new policy] are those less than $1,000, paid with PayPal or a merchant credit card, where the shipping cost is specified for the buyer.If you use the combined shipping discounts feature, your buyers must create a combined order by adding eligible items to their eBay Shopping Cart. The discount will automatically be applied to the order total.

If you don't use this tool but still offer combined shipping discounts, your buyers must add the items they want to purchase to their Shopping Cart and request a new invoice reflecting the revised shipping cost by clicking the Request Total button."

Apparently this applies to both domestic and international transactions.  My view is that forcing immediate payment while leaving a purchased but unpaid item listed for sale is a very bad idea, but eBay says it's in line with other ecommerce sites, so I suppose we have to learn to live with it like other questionable "advances" by eBay.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I've already had 3  customers today contact me because they want to buy multiple items and are being required to pay for each immediately individually.   I can see some lost sales from this great NEW policy..ugh!

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I had same problem with several buyers over last month or so. Some just buy and pay individually, Others ask how to combine into one purchase. some told em they give up and dont buy !!!. PLEASE EBAY, CLARIFY HOW BUYERS CAN USE THE CART (ASSUMING IT EXISTS IN THEIR COUNTRY)

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

For the moment, one way to avoid this new stupid policy (I totally agree with Pierre!!) is to put the "local pick-up" option in your listings. So I added it to all my items.

Unfortunately, some eBay reps said they will find a way to by-pass that too. 😞

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

lady stark,

Would you know if it is possible to put the "local pick-up option" in the listing after a bid has been made on an item ? I don't know where to find the info.

Thank you.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

doumb21
Community Member

I think the best way to workaround this issue is to allow ".. or Best Offer" and ask your buyer to make offer for the same price. 

This way you will be able to accept he offers and send him a single invoice for all items and combined shipping.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Would you know if it is possible to put the "local pick-up option" in the listing after a bid has been made on an item ? I don't know where to find the info.

Unfortunately, once an item has bid, I don't think you can add it to your listing. Very few changes can be made when an item has bids... and it's understandable too, since the highest bidder could back out of the sale if the item/description change too much.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

allow ".. or Best Offer"

This works only if you have fixed price items. It doesn't work on auctions.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Buyer wanted to buy 12 books.

All were set up with a best offer one penny below the list price.

Buyer made an offer for each book... and then an invoice was forwarded.  Buyer paid...

If eBay wants this new process of buying and letting it sit as unsold,  Bought but not paid...

then they better start giving refunds on postage for multiple purchases.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

doumb21
Community Member

@lady.stark

Indeed, but all the OP auctions are Fixed-Price so to him it could be a viable option.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply