how to get .COM sales?

katiusciav
Community Member
i guess you need to be registered with ebay.com to get their promotional emails? if so, is there any other way of finding out when their sales are, so we can use them? or would it not work for us since we're registered with .ca???
maybe a stupid question, i don't know...
Kat
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

how to get .COM sales?

jakeeangel
Community Member
Couple of things. First off since the existence of .ca you can no longer register on .com. It'll bump you to .ca once you enter a Canadian address. Before there was a .ca you could. I registered on .com.

What do you mean by 'use them'? Will the listing sales for the .com site work since you're a Canadian? Generally yes but you have to read the rules of each promo. .ca is the site that tends to issue listing sales for Canadians only. Other country specific sites may as well, that I don't know but .com doesn't. It's open to anyone listing on .com.

To find out about the listing sales, promos etc sign up for the announcements on .com and you'll get them. You need to sign up for the Announcements Group on .com under eBay Groups.

http://groups.ebay.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1071

Also, make it a habit of signing in on .com and read their announcements.

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/marketing.shtml?_trksid=m40

I have two windows open. I sign in on .com to do my work and ONLY use .ca for the chatboards. That's how I find out about .ca promos which I find useless since they're only for .ca. I don't list on .ca.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

*stealthtech*
Community Member
Is there an advantage to listing on .com instead of on .ca?

thanx Click to visit sell-ur-stuff.com

Click to visit sell-ur-stuff.com
http://pages.ebay.ca/theme/mystoryarchive/sean.html

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

katiusciav
Community Member
well, aside from the obvious of exposing your items to the big .com world, if we can take advantage of their 'promos', then its a big money saver

thanks debbie...
Kat
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

katiusciav
Community Member
i just registered for the link you sent.
what i meant was, since i'm registered on .ca, is there any way to get .com announcements so i can take advantage of their promos, (or, register under .com), but you already answered that...
Kat
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

jakeeangel
Community Member
Lots of reasons. Better exposure. Different rule structure and since I ship from the US I can say my location is in the US & Canada. I get better exposure and get on Express. I got told to do this at eBay Live.

Pierre one of the big Canadian stamp guys has pointed out the stupidity of listing on the Canadian sites. He has a Jacque Cartier stamp. I'm not a history buff but I believe he's the guy that discovered Canada. It's a STAMP. It's not a designer what-the-heck-ever. When he tries to list the stamp of the guy that discovered Canada availble worldwide it won't let him because of the word 'Cartier'.

Something dum about their fraud category or other. Like when you list Gucci, or Lacoste or other designer name products. It limits where you can sell to. But he can list the exact same thing unencumbered on .com.

I don't think and never did think there was a need for eBay Canada. Ok I'll give you there are a couple of reasons which are good for some people but they're not enough to get me to list on it. And some of the reasons like our Canadian taxes don't work!! Utterly foolish in my opinion.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

I listed on .com for 8 years. Just recently, to take advantage of the .ca only discounted listing days, I have listed on .ca. I found there was no real differenct in the number of sales that I had ... so I guess I will list on whichever site is having the discounted day.
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

*stealthtech*
Community Member
All of my listings have always been done on the .ca site and i never really noticed any issues? I may have to try and list a few on the .com and see what happens then.

Sean Click to visit sell-ur-stuff.com

Click to visit sell-ur-stuff.com
http://pages.ebay.ca/theme/mystoryarchive/sean.html

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

jakeeangel
Community Member
You have to decide for yourself if it works for you or not. I've also heard that Canadian listings get shown after US listings in searches. I don't recall if those that posted that said the items were listed on .ca or just Canadians listing on .com.

You also have to bear in mind that when listing on .com the default postal system is USPS. Whereas on .ca the default postal system is Canada Post. Something else to consider. I'm referring to the info posted at the bottom of a listing. If you don't use that, then it doesn't matter but it's something you should know if you do.

The announcements are great not just for listing sales but for information and rule changes. It's a great resource.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

tea_past_times
Community Member
I list on .ca ONLY when it's a special price, like 5 cents or 20 cents. If I have to pay the full listing rates, I feel my money is better spent on .com The only thing I like about .ca though, is that I can access the Canada Post shipping rates when listing, which you can't do listing on .com. My humble opinion is that .com will generate more sales overall for a seller than .ca.

** Our new disclaimer:

The above comments were not meant to be offensive in any way. If there is anyone lurking on the boards who is offended by any comment made above, we wholeheartedly apologize, as we understand that these boards have rules for posting and it is never, or will never be our intention to break any of those rules. Any resemblance to any persons living or dead, real or ficticious, in any of our posts is purely coincidental. We love Ebay and all of Ebay's rules, and now have them tatooed on our foreheads so that we do not forget them. Long life and prosperity to every Ebay employee past present and future. Peace my brothers & sisters, Peace. If anyone is offended by our comments please let us know and we will change our honest opinions to match those of the majority of the board. God bless us every one!

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

katiusciav
Community Member
agree 100%, although i never use the cp shipping tool...is it accurate? does it have glitches?? the last thing i would want to happen is it totally screws up and charges someone very little...
Kat
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

jakeeangel
Community Member
You're misunderstanding. The shipping tool isn't what we're talking about. Go look at the bottom of my listings. It lists prices and services offered by the USPS. Now go look at someone's listing on .ca and it will show prices and services offered by Canada Post. You the seller enter those figures.

If you're thinking about a shipping calculator like they have on .com, forget it. No such thing exists on eBay.ca. There is one you have to buy from a seller but nothing is offered by eBay itself. You have to enter the figures on your own.

The US shipping calculator offers sellers shipping with USPS the ability to enter a handling fee, an item weight and potential buyers enter their shipping info and get a rate. You can't do that from Canada. eBay hasn't gotten around to figuring out how to do that. You have to enter shipping costs to various locations yourself. ie: $20 to US, $20 to Uk whatever....

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

Couple of things. First off since the existence of .ca you can no longer register on .com. It'll bump you to .ca once you enter a Canadian address. Before there was a .ca you could. I registered on .com.

So how DO you register on .com if it automatically bumps you to .ca?
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

tobyshitzu
Community Member
move south
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

You don't have to register on .com to list on it. I use Turbo Lister which gives you the option of listing on either site. I think, if you go to sell your item on .com, you can list on .com.
Message 15 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

jakeeangel
Community Member
I registered on .com before .ca existed. That however has no bearing on what site you list on. You've registered on .ca and you can list on any eBay site you wish. Go to that site and list your item. UK, US, Australia, whatever you want. You can even list on non-English speaking sites if you know the language. It's totally up to you.

As Nancy says, you don't have to register on that site to list there.

Your user ID and password are good on any eBay site. Go to that site directly log in and sell your item. That's all there is to it. :)

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

bestshowtime
Community Member
Pierre one of the big Canadian stamp guys has pointed out the stupidity of listing on the Canadian sites. He has a Jacque Cartier stamp. I'm not a history buff but I believe he's the guy that discovered Canada. It's a STAMP. It's not a designer what-the-heck-ever. When he tries to list the stamp of the guy that discovered Canada available worldwide it won't let him because of the word 'Cartier'.

Wow! It is true!!!
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

Even though I list on .ca the vast majority of my sales are to the U.S. But I would like to take advantage of .com lower fee listing days and other features like eBay Express.

If I list on both at the same time how does that work when combining shipping? Would I have to stop using the shipping feature on .ca to combine them or do they even work together?
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

I have two windows open. I sign in on .com to do my work and ONLY use .ca for the chatboards. That's how I find out about .ca promos which I find useless since they're only for .ca. I don't list on .ca.

Why do you find the .ca promos useless? If you sell worldwide the listings still show up on .com. Not that I did very well on the last 2 sets of .ca low listing fee days.:-(
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

how to get .COM sales?

i guess you need to be registered with ebay.com to get their promotional emails?

Getting back on topic.....where you are registered has little if anything to do with receiving the promo notice emails.

Despite a number of requests I have not been receiving either .com or .ca promo notices for at least the past 2 years. (I have registered accounts on both sites)

Many sellers never receive them, there does not seem to be any consistency about them.
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 20 of 23
latest reply