outbid or not???

paulswo
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I have just ,a few minutes ago, placed a bid on an item and the listing page showed i was the high bidder. Good!  I then went on to search and look at a few more items. The next time I was on the my eBay summary page the watched listing i just bid on showed me as being outbid.  So I went to check the listing and on the listing page it's showing me as high bidder!  What gives?? I know my bid is the highest for that item because I'm on the top of the bidders listing . Why on my summary page is it showing me as outbid?  

I would hate to lose the auction knowing that my bid was the highest to a technical glitch or something. Can anybody suggest a reason for this? I in 11 years on eBay have never sen it before.

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

outbid or not???

There may be another bidder with a higher maximum bid and you are bidding against that.

Many bidder bid only once, but bid their maximum, knowing that eBay will sell to the high bidder at one increment higher than the underbidder.

Look at the times of the other bids. Is there a bidder who bid before you? If he has exactly the same bid but earlier, he wins. If his maximum bid (which you can't see, but eBay does) is higher, the system will outbid you.

For example.

Opening bid is $10.

I like the item and bid $100. It opens to me at $10.

You want it and bid $25. It stays with me at $26.

You really want it and bid $75. It stays with me at $76.

You get hot for it and bid $100.

I win at $100 because I bid first.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

outbid or not???

mcrlmn
Community Member

Not to worry, I've had that happen several times.

I refreshed the page and it corrected itself.

Check your Bids/Offers page.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply